Should I return my Maxx if it is having auto-rotate problems?

thebeeobee

Reaction score
I've found several threads on here from Razr and Razr Maxx owners having this issue, as well as a thread on Moto's site: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/a33e42d2d7

Holding down power and volume restored my auto-rotate, but later in the day, it wasn't working again.

Also, I see on Moto's site that there is a stuck compass issue, as well: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/a33e42d2d7 and in this thread, someone takes a magnet to the compass to fix it: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/5a193db8c2

I'm not very familiar with this hardware, so I'm wondering, are these isolated issues or related? (it doesn't seem like a connection has been made anywhere, if they are related).

Does the "compass" control the switch from landscape to vertical or is that a different sensor?

In some droidforums threads, there were users that bought up to 3 razrs and the problem kept occurring.

So, I'd like to get some feedback from ya'll.

"Nope, mine works fine" isn't really a helpful response... I'd like to know more about what sensors detect the autorotate and see if this is hardware or software related and also if I get another Maxx, will I be encountering this again.

Thanks!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Download androsensor from the play store. It shows readings from all of the sensors.

Though you said its not what your looking for, none of my maxx's has this issue :)

Androsensor will show you real time readings from your device, so you will see if its a sensor issue :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
T

thebeeobee

Reaction score
Download androsensor from the play store. It shows readings from all of the sensors.

Though you said its not what your looking for, none of my maxx's has this issue :)

Androsensor will show you real time readings from your device, so you will see if its a sensor issue :)

FANTASTIC! Thank you. As of now, everything seems to be working and registering correct values. I will check the app again if the auto-rotate "bug" reappears. I feel like this is going to answer a lot of questions.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
FANTASTIC! Thank you. As of now, everything seems to be working and registering correct values. I will check the app again if the auto-rotate "bug" reappears. I feel like this is going to answer a lot of questions.

I hope it does. It did for me. Glad I could help :)

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
My Maxx started having this issue about a month ago. I come from the DROID 1 and it too had the same intermittent
issues, so I just figured it was just my moto screwing with me. I usually just power it off/ on and the problem goes away for a bit.
I thought about taking it back to Verizon for another Maxx, but I didn't want to deal with someone else's problems, since they won't give a new replacement. Is there a true fix for this? Does make me wonder what else is wrong with the phone that I'm not yet aware of.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Neither of my devices did this except once. And I fixed it the way I listed above.

OP
T

thebeeobee

Reaction score
Ok, right now my auto rotate isn't working again. I checked the "Androsensor" app and all of the sensors seem to be registering new values when I move the phone, so I have to believe this is a software issue (especially when resetting seems to fix it for everyone).

I also checked to make sure Auto Rotate was still checked in the settings, it was.

I wonder if ICS will fix this bug.

EDIT: if anyone else has any other troubleshooting advice, please feel free to share. I'm going to NOT reset so i can test anything you guys can throw at me.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I hope ics will fix this. :) no guarantee though.

DROIDX2TN

Reaction score
Have you tried clearing the cache and restarting your phone? It works for me.