Razr MAXX WiFi Hotspot problem?

pappatech

Reaction score
What if you root and install open garden? I pay for the mobile hotspot unlimited $30 per month, so not having that feature functional would be a problem. But if I could root and use open garden then I would be content. Appreciate any thoughts if any razr/razr maxx owners know the answer.

That does not work either. That was actually the first thing I tried. Barnacle is no good either. I am pretty sure this whole issue is because Verizon tried so hard to make sure that people couldn't root and get for free that they caused the problem. If you put open garden or barnacle on razr or maxx, when you start them up the verizon hot spot fires up also. I am currently looking through the DB to see if I can find a CTA switch. I'll keep looking and let you know.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Scottysize, what are some of the websites that don't work with the legit hotspot? I'd like to have a rooted user try those sites out with the non-legit hotspot and see what happens.

Like I said, I haven't tried it with the rooted apps, but I'm now rooted, so I can, if I get the WiFi tether for root going. Sites that I know do not work:

Yahoo!
All Topics - The Latest News Headlines, Videos and Images - Digg
Netflix App

There are a lot more, and the Verizon guy listed them off for me, but these I know for a fact do not work. I will mess with the WiFi Tether and see what I find out, but I can tell you that there are no issues, if you connect using the bluetooth. I have a Prime tablet and connected to my Razr's bluetooth and all of the above worked great in 3G land. I don't live in 4G land, so I'd have to try it tomorrow from work.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max

pappatech

Reaction score
That does not work either. That was actually the first thing I tried. Barnacle is no good either. I am pretty sure this whole issue is because Verizon tried so hard to make sure that people couldn't root and get for free that they caused the problem. If you put open garden or barnacle on razr or maxx, when you start them up the verizon hot spot fires up also. I am currently looking through the DB to see if I can find a CTA switch. I'll keep looking and let you know.

Like I said, I haven't tried it with the rooted apps, but I'm now rooted, so I can, if I get the WiFi tether for root going. Sites that I know do not work:

Yahoo!
All Topics - The Latest News Headlines, Videos and Images - Digg
Netflix App

There are a lot more, and the Verizon guy listed them off for me, but these I know for a fact do not work. I will mess with the WiFi Tether and see what I find out, but I can tell you that there are no issues, if you connect using the bluetooth. I have a Prime tablet and connected to my Razr's bluetooth and all of the above worked great in 3G land. I don't live in 4G land, so I'd have to try it tomorrow from work.

Just tried all the links and had no problems. Pull them up just as blazing fast as the other sites. I think that the combo of .173 and the http://android-wifi-tether.googlecod...3_1-pre105.apk with the routing fix enabled may have done the trick.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
So I'm in 4G land today and it seems to be intermittent. It's not the greatest surfing experience I've ever had. It is pretty much functioning like it did when I was using Verizon's pay for service. I was able to log on to Yahoo, but then when I tried getting there again, I couldn't. I was not able to perform a speed test, nor was I able to bring up Netflix. For me, the hotspot is still broken.

Phoenix111

Reaction score
I just cannot believe that Verizon can't get a $30 charge function of the phone to work. I pay for the hotspot, but often have to use open garden on my thunderbolt because the stock app is sketchy on my phone as well. I was considering upgrading to the maxx, but Verizon has lost a sale there because they'd rather break the function and screw their customers altogether, just to attempt to bring down some rooted tetherers. I really grow tired of Verizon.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
AH HA! Make sure you go into the Settings menu and enable "Routing Fix"! It works great now.

OP
M

MaXGTS

Reaction score
Wierd. If I uncheck "Routing Fix", yahoo.com continues to work. Very strange indeed.

jmdearras

Reaction score
Ok....wanted to test it for a while before I posted prematurely again...:p...installed the .173 update and even though I have heard some complaints from others, so far I have none. In fact it doubled my speeds, which for 4G are not real good but that is probably due to the area I live in. Before I was getting like 11mbps down and 8 up ofr something. Now I am getting 20 down and 12 up. Hot spot hack is working, everything seems stable. It has only been about 3 hours but I noticed the problems before right away. I will say this, and I don't know if it had anything to do with it or not, when I got my razr it had .744 on it and I had to update to .748 then I did the hack. Everything worked. ON the maxx it came with .748 on it, I did the hack and it did not work stable. I fastbooted back to .744 then ota to .748. After that I applyed the .173 update and everything has been blissful since. Hope this helps.
What is the hotspot hack? And what was at .744?Thanks!Jim

jmdearras

Reaction score
I am having trouble with the initial connection. sometimes the SSID does not show, and sometimes I get "association failed" when I try to connect. Stopping and starting the hotspot several seems to sometime correct this. One connected, it's solid as a rock.

Anyone else have this? Razr with latest OTA, only. I pay for hot spot.

Jim

ixpro

Reaction score
Purchased RAZR Maxx at a Verizon store after a long discussion with the sales person where I specifically asked if the Wireless Hotspot feature is robust for daily use. I work in IT Security, and travel across the country on a regular basis, so I counted on this device to be my primary 4G connection to the world... Silly silly me.

All of this in the "red" 4G LTE coverage areas, where Verizon sales people swear by their lives the connectivity should be top notch:

- Randomly, Hotspot fails to start, simply reports "Error" in the gray status line;
- Randomly, Despite the fact that it's configured to broadcast SSID, my wireless network is invisible to my laptops;
- When and if it becomes visible, most of the time the laptops trying to connect to it report errors in the initial stages;
- If your 4G data link goes down and is re-established, most of the time the hotspot will have to be restarted;
- Some web sites are still "invisible" while others are functioning fine;
- Sometimes my VPNs to customers work fine, sometimes they aren't able to connect while general Internet connectivity is there.

Take all of the above, and repeat it 2-3 times an hour! That's my current experience with RAZR Maxx hotspot feature...
Can't blame it on my laptops or the area for one simple reason: I have 2 more WiFi hotspot enabled devices with me, and they work like a charm every time, non stop, everywhere where there's coverage.

I don't know if all these issues are in software, or in some hardware design flaw, but I honestly don't give a flying f..k anymore. The service is being billed to all of us silly trusting customers who bought it. Gonna go talk to the same Verizon sales dude again, he's gonna do a full reset of my phone again, and everything will be the same once I get back from the store.

My final advice: STAY AWAY FROM THIS DEVICE & VERIZON if you want a wireless hotspot functionality you can count on.

jmdearras

Reaction score
Purchased RAZR Maxx at a Verizon store after a long discussion with the sales person where I specifically asked if the Wireless Hotspot feature is robust for daily use. I work in IT Security, and travel across the country on a regular basis, so I counted on this device to be my primary 4G connection to the world... Silly silly me.

All of this in the "red" 4G LTE coverage areas, where Verizon sales people swear by their lives the connectivity should be top notch:

- Randomly, Hotspot fails to start, simply reports "Error" in the gray status line;
- Randomly, Despite the fact that it's configured to broadcast SSID, my wireless network is invisible to my laptops;
- When and if it becomes visible, most of the time the laptops trying to connect to it report errors in the initial stages;
- If your 4G data link goes down and is re-established, most of the time the hotspot will have to be restarted;
- Some web sites are still "invisible" while others are functioning fine;
- Sometimes my VPNs to customers work fine, sometimes they aren't able to connect while general Internet connectivity is there.

Take all of the above, and repeat it 2-3 times an hour! That's my current experience with RAZR Maxx hotspot feature...
Can't blame it on my laptops or the area for one simple reason: I have 2 more WiFi hotspot enabled devices with me, and they work like a charm every time, non stop, everywhere where there's coverage.

I don't know if all these issues are in software, or in some hardware design flaw, but I honestly don't give a flying f..k anymore. The service is being billed to all of us silly trusting customers who bought it. Gonna go talk to the same Verizon sales dude again, he's gonna do a full reset of my phone again, and everything will be the same once I get back from the store.

My final advice: STAY AWAY FROM THIS DEVICE & VERIZON if you want a wireless hotspot functionality you can count on.

I had all that. it's not that it is not broadcasting the SSID, it's that the hotspot is not really on. What software revision are you on? .181 ( and three replacement Razrs) fixed my issues.

Jim