Change to AT&T

jor

Reaction score
I have an original Droid which I got when they were first sold by Verizon. Is it possible to use this phone with an AT&T account? Thanks.
jor

cpjr

Reaction score
No. Verizon is CDMA, ATT is GSM. Totally different.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is no SIM card so no it will not work on AT&T (GSM v. CDMA)

OP
J

jor

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm trying desperately to lower my cell phone bill. I have a Droid which I use very little - just a few calls, a few texts and an occasional internet access. I really just need a phone that does texting. Same with my wife. Right now our bill is $140 but our usage is really low. I find the Verizon site pretty confusing. We also have an iPad and do some RVing. Anyhow, I'll figure it out. Thanks.
jor

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm trying desperately to lower my cell phone bill. I have a Droid which I use very little - just a few calls, a few texts and an occasional internet access. I really just need a phone that does texting. Same with my wife. Right now our bill is $140 but our usage is really low. I find the Verizon site pretty confusing. We also have an iPad and do some RVing. Anyhow, I'll figure it out. Thanks.
jor

Take a look at this: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/95195-new-unlimited-plan-big-red.html

Give them a call and see if you can save some money.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe you can change your data plan from the 29.99/mo unl. to ~$15/mo for 250mb or something around there and then additional charges for every mB over that.

It might save you money initially but if you have an overage it's gonna hit you hard, it think it's somewhere around 1.99 per mB once you go over, it's absolutely insane.

Another option it you can always get a regular phone and just keep the Droid for use on wifi.

OP
J

jor

Reaction score
Thanks to you both. I'm looking into the 250 meg deal. Matter of fact, I'm trying now to figure what my average use would be. What's this on keeping the droid as a wifi? Would that mean I wouldn't have to have a data plan? Guess I better stop by the Verizon store to get this figured out. I was thinking about just giving the Droid to my daughter. Thanks.
jor

D

dankarlinski

the Droid should work just fine on wifi (of course no calls or texts tho)

however, once you are out of wifi range, you are limited to whats already on the phone

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks to you both. I'm looking into the 250 meg deal. Matter of fact, I'm trying now to figure what my average use would be. What's this on keeping the droid as a wifi? Would that mean I wouldn't have to have a data plan? Guess I better stop by the Verizon store to get this figured out. I was thinking about just giving the Droid to my daughter. Thanks.
jor

the Droid should work just fine on wifi (of course no calls or texts tho)

however, once you are out of wifi range, you are limited to whats already on the phone

as dank stated, the phone (ie browser, market, any online games or apps) will work when connected to wi-fi.
You can always set up Google Voice to make calls and/or texts over the internet :) (read carefully however as you can incur charges)

... and you can't get rid of the data plan completely and still keep ANY smartphone on VZW activated. At the very minimum you have to have the 250mb plan.

Beka27

Reaction score
I believe it's a 150 mb plan for $15. (Unless they changed this and I missed it, which is possible.) If you could finagle an upgrade for you and your wife's lines, I wonder if they'd let you drop down to a feature phone. They're always giving those things away for free.

plasma510

Reaction score
No but you can use it on sprint
Verizon-CDMA
Sprint-CDMA
T-mobile-GSM
ATT-GSM

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Correct! $15 for 150mb. Be careful as just one KB over that will charge you another $15 for another 150MB and so on. AT&T gives you 200MB for $15 and 2GB for $25 with overage rates identical to ours (VZW). Is sacrificing coverage really worth $10 a month?
The better question would be, where do you work? You may qualify for an ECPD (work discount). I'll be back at work tomorrow and can PM you the profile id and discounts.

I believe it's a 150 mb plan for $15. (Unless they changed this and I missed it, which is possible.) If you could finagle an upgrade for you and your wife's lines, I wonder if they'd let you drop down to a feature phone. They're always giving those things away for free.

DroidForums junkie!!

D

dankarlinski

No but you can use it on sprint
Verizon-CDMA
Sprint-CDMA
T-mobile-GSM
ATT-GSM

i dont believe a droid phone was ever flashed to another carrier.... and it would be more of a hassle than what its worth

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Correct! $15 for 150mb. Be careful as just one KB over that will charge you another $15 for another 150MB and so on. AT&T gives you 200MB for $15 and 2GB for $25 with overage rates identical to ours (VZW). Is sacrificing coverage really worth $10 a month?

DroidForums junkie!!

Damn you beat me to it. ;)

Verizon just charges you for another 150Mb every time you go over so if you use 309Mb you get charged $45.

I think you can flash the droid to MetroPCS as well.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App