Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've been out for about two years :eek::confused:

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Xparent Tapatalk
I'd have to go back & check, but I believe I was gone liner than that.

I checked in from time to time, but wasn't spending the time that I had been & am now that I'm "back."

Pre-ordering the note 4 rejuvenated me. Haha

Sent from my Note 4

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hah took me til now to remember about Kies. I had zero interest in using it before, but I'm once again tired of the ROM mods and everything. I do want root though to get rid of these darn ads though...

I'll just run this stock s4 for a few days, see if I like it. And heck, for all we know, Lollipop could be right around the corner for it.

And honestly, this very stock image ROM, has ran smoother than any other ROM I've used.

I've been pretty happy with the stock ROM. I just rooted, removed bloat, got safestrap installed, and a few tweaks with Exposed. Don't see much of a reason to flash a custom ROM honestly.

Could be quick if something leaks. By the looks of that video circulating, it runs pretty great on the s4.

Sent from my Note 4

Agreed. The guy said they haven't rolled it out due to wifi not working but, we know Verizon will have to get their hands on it first. :rolleyes:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'd have to go back & check, but I believe I was gone liner than that.

I checked in from time to time, but wasn't spending the time that I had been & am now that I'm "back."

Pre-ordering the note 4 rejuvenated me. Haha

Sent from my Note 4

Same here. Kinda missed you guys! Lol

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Could be quick if something leaks. By the looks of that video circulating, it runs pretty great on the s4.

Sent from my Note 4
Hopefully it's quick. With a fresh slate though, this s4 is as snappy as ever. The crappy signal quality still drives me nuts, but at least the device is waking up when I hit the power button now, and I'm not getting any keyboard lag.

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
@Droid DOES!!

Yeah I tried a ROM because I didn't wanna go through the hassle of losing root and redoing it. Now look where I've ended up, lol. In the long run, it was fun to flash ROMs again, but for some reason I had stability issues with every ROM I tried, so back to the stock image file, smooth as can be.

I just looked up a method to root NG6, since just the towelroot app didn't work, so I may attempt that tomorrow. I don't know how much more of these ads I can take.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm very happy with the performance of this phone. I thought the signal quality was just me! Lol! I don't even see the need to overclock this phone, which is definitely a first! Mine is still on NC5 so thankfully towelroot worked.

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm very happy with the performance of this phone. I thought the signal quality was just me! Lol! I don't even see the need to overclock this phone, which is definitely a first! Mine is still on NC5 so thankfully towelroot worked.

I haven't overclocked a phone since my Droid Incredible. The Snapdragon 600 in the s4 is still a pretty good cpu, don't think it needs overclocking.

And nope, the radio in the s4 is complete garbage. Heck, just the other night I was at a friend's and his Note 3 was still pulling 4g with pretty good signal, and he has a pretty bulky case around his Note. Mine is "naked" and I couldn't get 3g, and when I had looked at my battery stats,I had lost signal completely intermittently. No need to really speak about the radios in the iPhones that were in the house, they were all on 4g... I mean it was so bad I couldn't even send a basic text message, it kept failing.

I'm on NG6, but found a method of root that has me flash an NC5 kernel, root it with towelroot, then flash the NG6 kernel back on. A bit more work to do, but it could be worth it. I forget how just about every single app has an ad, and I miss some of the lighter mods that Xposed gave me.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I haven't overclocked a phone since my Droid Incredible. The Snapdragon 600 in the s4 is still a pretty good cpu, don't think it needs overclocking.

And nope, the radio in the s4 is complete garbage. Heck, just the other night I was at a friend's and his Note 3 was still pulling 4g with pretty good signal, and he has a pretty bulky case around his Note. Mine is "naked" and I couldn't get 3g, and when I had looked at my battery stats,I had lost signal completely intermittently. No need to really speak about the radios in the iPhones that were in the house, they were all on 4g... I mean it was so bad I couldn't even send a basic text message, it kept failing.

I'm on NG6, but found a method of root that has me flash an NC5 kernel, root it with towelroot, then flash the NG6 kernel back on. A bit more work to do, but it could be worth it. I forget how just about every single app has an ad, and I miss some of the lighter mods that Xposed gave me.

Hopefully Lollipop will have a new radio. The signal is probably the worst of any brand I've used, didn't think it could get much worse than HTC. Motorola had me spoiled!

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hopefully Lollipop will have a new radio. The signal is probably the worst of any brand I've used, didn't think it could get much worse than HTC. Motorola had me spoiled!

Samsung is probably the weakest in the game in terms of radios. It's not so much a software issue either, it's more hardware. If it was software, then it would've been fixed long ago. The radios in the s5 are far better than whatever they used in the s4. However, other manufacturers radios' still far exceed any found in any Samsung device from what I've seen.

I'm personally moving to a different manufacturer for my next device (the z3 has really caught my eye, but would require me to switch carriers). At least with the way my s4 is now, I don't want to chuck it in the lake. Still can't do a thing about the radio signal, but at least it's not lagging, randomly rebooting, or freezing.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Samsung is probably the weakest in the game in terms of radios. It's not so much a software issue either, it's more hardware. If it was software, then it would've been fixed long ago. The radios in the s5 are far better than whatever they used in the s4. However, other manufacturers radios' still far exceed any found in any Samsung device from what I've seen.

I'm personally moving to a different manufacturer for my next device (the z3 has really caught my eye, but would require me to switch carriers). At least with the way my s4 is now, I don't want to chuck it in the lake. Still can't do a thing about the radio signal, but at least it's not lagging, randomly rebooting, or freezing.

Random reboots used to drive me crazy with HTC! Though I will go as far to say the Thunderbolt with the Sky Raider ROM was one of my favorite phones to date even signal wise. But every Motorola phone I've had smokes them all. I have no experience with Sony. I'm going to get my girlfriend a phone for Christmas because she has Boost and her service is garbage. I have two bars of 4g there but I will be looking into Motorola for her. The other guys need to take notes (No pun) from Moto with reception, IMHO.

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Random reboots used to drive me crazy with HTC! Though I will go as far to say the Thunderbolt with the Sky Raider ROM was one of my favorite phones to date even signal wise. But every Motorola phone I've had smokes them all. I have no experience with Sony. I'm going to get my girlfriend a phone for Christmas because she has Boost and her service is garbage. I have two bars of 4g there but I will be looking into Motorola for her. The other guys need to take notes (No pun) from Moto with reception, IMHO.

Agreed, I mean, what good is a phone if you drop calls or can't even send a text message? I mean I had a few instances where I couldn't even get a call to go through until I restarted the phone. It's infuriating that at some spots I frequent I get zero reliability while others are fine.

In terms of Moto, yeah they definitely have the best radios. Though I have heard their newest Droid Turbo that the signal isn't as good as some of their older devices....

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Agreed, I mean, what good is a phone if you drop calls or can't even send a text message? I mean I had a few instances where I couldn't even get a call to go through until I restarted the phone. It's infuriating that at some spots I frequent I get zero reliability while others are fine.

In terms of Moto, yeah they definitely have the best radios. Though I have heard their newest Droid Turbo that the signal isn't as good as some of their older devices....

Exactly!! I've heard that about the Turbo too. I was looking at a Moto X for her though. We don't do contracts and she's familiar with Moto already. Our second date she told me that she couldn't stand Apple....knew she was a keeper! Lol!

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Exactly!! I've heard that about the Turbo too. I was looking at a Moto X for her though. We don't do contracts and she's familiar with Moto already. Our second date she told me that she couldn't stand Apple....knew she was a keeper! Lol!

Haha she sounds like a keeper.

The Moto X, first and second gen, are both great phones. I've considered many times selling this s4 and getting a first gen, but figured I might as well really upgrade and throw in more cash for a newer phone that won't drive me crazy 15mo into owning it.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yessir!