Can't turn on while charging?

EmanP223

Reaction score
Brand new user, never had one of these fancy phones before but have been trying to figure it out for the last few days.

When the battery completely discharges and the phone dies I plug it in. At that point I can't turn the phone on while it is charging/plugged in and the battery level on the screen shows 0% and although it's charging, it stays at 0%.

Is this a common thing with these kinds of phones, this specific model or is this one just not working correctly? Anyone else seeing this issue?

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Yeah I think so, I let my D1 go to zero once and it wouldn't start up when I plugged it in. I walked away for a bit and when it had charged a bit, it turned on like normal.

mumfrey

Reaction score
yes, its normal behavior. if fully drained, it needs about 10-15 mins on charger before it will start up.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Jason.DROID

Reaction score
It's a bug in the charge only state. Unplug the charger, and let the phone power off. If the phone has enough charge, go ahead and power it up. Then plug the charger back in.

Mine also reported 0%, but when I unplugged it and powered it up, it was actually at 60%.

OP
E

EmanP223

Reaction score
OK, I was getting the same thing. Drained it completely, plugged it in and it wouldn't turn on. Tried it periodically every 15 minutes and it still wouldn't turn on and was reading 0% for maybe 90 minutes. When I unpluged it and turned it on it was at 70% and then I plugged it in again until 100%. It's happened twice now.

On a side note, someone told me that you should never let your battery drain all the way down. Is there any merit to that and if so why?

whodidthis

Reaction score
On a side note, someone told me that you should never let your battery drain all the way down. Is there any merit to that and if so why?

this is true, don't let your battery drain all the way to death....that's an old myth about having to drain it all the way down in order to get a full charge. Don't know exactly why, but when I last tried it (two phones ago) phone acted erratic (like yours). Just plug it when you get home or something...20-10%

mumfrey

Reaction score
oh, i see. sorry, i missed the part in the op's post that stated it wasnt updating the % of charge.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

vvildcard

Reaction score
I believe the myth was started by people who heard about NiCad batteries, which you should always run down as close to zero as possible. Since we're using Lithium, the NiCad rules obviously shouldn't be applied... but, alas, some just don't have the mental capacity to understand the difference between the two and continue to think all batteries are the same (afterall, they're both called batteries!!!).

If you want to know more, there is TONS of good info out there on the Interwebs... it's all just a Google search away...