New ? : 0 % battery life and DC charge plugged in

HappyHour

Reaction score
Just wanted to know at what % of battery life will the phone operate when you plug it in to be recharged?
I drained it all the way down to 0% and plugged it in. Then I tried to turn on the phone and use it while it was charging but couldn't get it to come on.
Is there a specific % battery charge needed before it will come on?
Hypothetically, what if there were an emergency and I had no battery life so I plugged it in to make a call. How long do I have to wait before it turns on?
It's at 40% now and it's working plugged in. Do I just have to wait a couple of minutes or should it work instantly with 0%? Find it strange that it wasn't automatically responsive.

Graymayre

Reaction score
If you drain it til it turns off, you will have to wait til it says 10% before it will boot back up. It'll really be about 5 or 6%, but it has to have some charge. You can drain the phone down to 1% and put it on charge and it will stay on, but once it gets low enough, it shuts down while it still has enough power to do so.

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Where/what did you plug it into? Your PC or via wall charger?

OP
H

HappyHour

Reaction score
I plugged into the outlet.. Wall charger not PC

OK.. so what you're telling me is that is it needs some charge and I'll have to wait until it gets to that small %.
Good to know. Not happy with the answer, but good to know. Thanks.

masterpeace1960

Reaction score
battery Life

I got 5 1/2 hours out of my battery before I had to charge it again...that is keeping on the 3g interent and talking on it...

IanG

Reaction score
Draining the battery down to 0% is bad for the battery, FYI.

OP
H

HappyHour

Reaction score
Why is it bad to drain all the way down?
I have been told in the past that's the way to maximize juice to your battery when you recharge.
Never heard anyone say differently before.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have NEVER let my D1 or my D3 die completely and have never "calibrated" my battery either.

I think 11 hours of use to 20% on my D1 original battery wasn't too bad.

Sent from my Safestrapped, Rooted, ROM'd XT862

IanG

Reaction score
Why is it bad to drain all the way down?
I have been told in the past that's the way to maximize juice to your battery when you recharge.
Never heard anyone say differently before.

You heard it in the past because with past battery technology, it was good for the battery to be fully drained every once in a while. That's not the case anymore with new battery technology; it actually hurts the battery.

OP
H

HappyHour

Reaction score
Wow.. I didn't know THAT!!!
Let me ask you this.
Is keeping the charger plugged in to the phone bad for the battery too? Can you overcharge the battery? Is there a way to tell when it's finished?
So far I think it takes me about 3 hr to get 100% fully charged.

jtpowell

Reaction score
You can not overcharge. You really can't over discharge either as the phone is going to cut off before that happens. When it is charged it says so on the screen and there is also a popup telling you to unplug your charger to conserve power. Here is some info on lion and lipo cells Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries