Charging while in bootloader

smokinfish

Reaction score
My battery died while flashing the sbf file. I was under the impression while the phone was plugged into usb port it was charging, guess not. I unplugged and plugged it into an outlet but cannot tell if it's charging. So does anyone know if charging works while phone is in bootloader? and if not what do I do?

Thanks in advance,

D

TheJester34

Reaction score
I don't believe the phone charges while you're in the bootloader. I had that happen to me once. I ended up having to go to Verizon and buy a battery, flash sbf, then charge my old battery like normal

OP
smokinfish

smokinfish

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Jester I was afraid of that

D

OP
smokinfish

smokinfish

Reaction score
This is what I did with the help of lzord at XDA Forums.

cut a usb cable and put the red and black wires on the positive and negative terminals of the battery, put it back in the phone, then flash. Then you can charge.

And this worked like a charm. I charged it for an hour and it gave it a full charge and I was able to flash :icon_ banana:

D

bluskyline21

Reaction score

cut a usb cable and put the red and black wires on the positive and negative terminals of the battery, put it back in the phone, then flash. Then you can charge.

And this worked like a charm. I charged it for an hour and it gave it a full charge and I was able to flash :icon_ banana:

D

I know this post is over a year old but I searched EVERYWHERE online to find some helpful information on how to charge while in the bootloader, aside from BUYING a new battery. This post was extremely helpful and I just wanted to say thank you and make this available to anyone else whose battery happened to die *during* a flash!
dancedroid:icon_ banana:

Last edited:

icebluemale30

Reaction score
testimonial

never thought it would work but i did it and bam there it is proof people this does really work i did and sbf on my phone when the power was at 20% then when it finished on 2.340 it was at half 50% so i was like oh ok im good then went to zroot and do a back up restore got a bootloader error so went to sbf again and bam battery dead ......my stupidness but this post saved me ....was a lil hard to get the wires to stay when you plug in battery but i got it and now i have my phone back never ever will i sbf or install a rom again without making sure my phone is at 100% ...no joke thanks to the OP..
Also remember to plug both usbs into your pc

MongoosC5

Reaction score

D

like bluskyline21 said, even though this is a year old, it saved me! My DX's batt died this morning mid flash and having a spare batt isnt really helpful if its dead as well. I had been considering this for about 2 hours but couldnt find enough data to take the edge off my nerves about it.

Guess I should consider investing in a spare battery charger for future events...hmm...

My deepest thanks to you dancedroid:happy:

lortay78

Reaction score
Just thought I would share a moment of suspense. I had Liquid 3.0 installed on an old phone, and it wouldn't boot, so I went into sbf with about 5% battery left. I can't believe it made it! Not for the faint of heart.

Steltron

Reaction score
I did the same thing, and I was able to flash and get back to ICS, but now my d2g doesn't even turn on! The 'charge light' lights up when i plug it into the wall or USB, but I cannot get it to turn on. Am i toast? did I finally brick it?

lortay78

Reaction score
I wish I could help you man. I don't know. Does it show as a devices in adb or rsd lite or anything?

Steltron

Reaction score
no, unfortunately. The computer doesn't even recognize that it has been plugged in... I guess I'll just have to buy a new phone. The bionic looks cool

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've never really understood WHY the battery doesn't charge in recovery or bootloader mode. Does anyone know the answer to that little mystery?