Can't open gallery after downloading update

jubes

Reaction score
I downloaded the update, and everything is great, except I cannot access my gallery. Not through my shortcut, or going through the apps drawer. The gallery just crashes every time I try to open it. I've tried force closing and clearing the cash, then pulling the battery, but it just won't open.

Anyone else have this issue or have a fix for it???

OP
J

jubes

Reaction score
Really? No other way? Will u lose the 2.2 update and the apps that are on the phone and not the sd card?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

yuusharo

Reaction score
Factory data reset, under privacy settings.
That's sort of an extreme workaround for the problem, isn't it? :( There are other things you can try first.

Really? No other way? Will u lose the 2.2 update and the apps that are on the phone and not the sd card?

You won't lose the update. Basically, a factory reset will make it like it were a brand new phone. Your SDCard stuff is fine, but all your app, settings and data stored on the phone are gone.

Had the same problem. Try this before you do that, it worked for me:

Copy all the contents of your sdcard to a folder desktop (you should be doing this anyway regularly as a backup *hint*). Once its all there, go to "settings->sd card & phone settings>unmount SD card." Now, tap "format SD card." Once its finished, transfer all your data back onto your card.

Now, my gallery app opens just fine and all my pictures are there. Give it a try.

the5barrons

Reaction score
I guess it might be a extreme measure...but it sure would work. Sorry, never had an issue with my pics failing our any issues with my sdcard. If by formatting the sdcard you can cure a fc....great. Sounds like a software issue...i guess we'll see.

"what evrrrrr"

cueto

Reaction score
i have the same issue with mine. Opens up galler for 1.5 seconds then closes!! I will try to cut all media off of card then remount then copy back to card and see.......

I hope this works! Oh and I planned on moving from BB to Droid with no issues.........

shochman

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with the Gallery closing right after it opens. I switched to using the Just Pictures app, which I strongly prefer anyways, so no loss. JP also supports viewing of Picasa photos..

nmoira

Reaction score
I just noticed this problem today. I downloaded Just Pictures, which sees the pics on my sd card, but its sharing options are limited and Gallery is still the default image viewer/chooser for apps like facebook. I'll be looking to see if anyone comes up with a less drastic solution than a factory reset.

nmoira

Reaction score
Copying the data from the sd card, formatting it, and copying it back did the trick.

shochman

Reaction score
The gallery app still works on my phone, if started from the Camera application.