Gallery keeps force closing

MrShow

Reaction score
Download gallery 3d by rayman50 from the market.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

droid234

Reaction score

Did that and nothing happened, until I deleted what appeared (on gallery 3d) to be a folder with blank images. I deleted the folder, close gallery 3d, open original gallery and BAM! It works again. :)

BTW, gallery 3d (or perhaps the security nanny) continued to ask if I'd grant it access to my gmail accounts. Of course not, so I uninstalled it. Good riddance.

sabroso

Reaction score
"Hocus-pocus" abracadabra ghosts appeared in my gallery.

1.- Go to settings/applications/manage applications/all tab/select gallery/force stop/wipe data
2.- If that doesn't work, download 3d gallery and look for empty files or empty folders and delete them. These are likely corrupt files.
Thanks a Lot Droid-Xer, wipe data in Gallery settings doesn't help,
neither to erase al folders in DCIM, music, video, etc folders (after backup the photos to my laptop).
But through the Camera App I had access to see what are in Gallery (there is a shortcut to gallery in the left down corner.
And as you said there was 2 black images when navigating through the photos.
So I installed "Gallery 3D by Rayman50" (which is not the most talkative person in the world, but nobody does it better than what he do well, count on it! He port Galaxy S gallery to Froyo).
and then erase that 2 blank images (doesn't erase the folder).
By the way it tooks like 2 minutes to appear that weird folder (with no name) so after it appear I can erase it, and DONE
regular Froyo Gallery is Back.
but guess what I like more "Gallery 3D by Raymond50"
so after all the pain in the ass, I win something from all that. dancedroid
....Download gallery 3d by rayman50 from the market... Did that and nothing happened, until I deleted what appeared (on gallery 3d) to be a folder with blank images. I deleted the folder, close gallery 3d, open original gallery and BAM! It works again. :)
BTW, gallery 3d (or perhaps the security nanny) continued to ask if I'd grant it access to my gmail accounts. Of course not, so I uninstalled it. Good riddance.
Thanks Droid234 too, by the way "Gallery 3D" is asking you to allow the App have access to your gmail account to be enable to read your picasa web photo folder, DroidX made his own folder there (in picasa) for sharing purpose. :motdroidhoriz:
Best Regards Sabroso :wink:

Natey2

Reaction score

Did that and nothing happened, until I deleted what appeared (on gallery 3d) to be a folder with blank images. I deleted the folder, close gallery 3d, open original gallery and BAM! It works again. :)

I use the version from here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ch-zoom-2-1-3d-gallery-app-now-available.html
and it does not try to access my Google account.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

aktreadway

Reaction score
Ok, y'all, I'm kinda a newbie, so bear with me. I am rooted, but have not removed (renamed) any of the stock apps on my phone. Mostly, because I am unsure how. I rooted for the purpose of running Barnacle Wifi from my phone. I am also having the Gallery issue. I think it has something to do with transferring photos to my computer. Anyway, are you deleting the froyo Gallery upon installing Gallery 3d? And if anyone would like to direct me to a great thread for deleting the unused stock apps, that would be great! (HATE that stupid Blockbuster app)

Natey2

Reaction score
I have both the motoblur gallery and the cooliris 3D gallery on my phone. The latter can be used to fix some problems that prevents the former from launching.

arabstar1982

Reaction score
Ok, my phone was doing this problem and at first the gallery 3d worked... Now, its doing it again and NOTHING is working. does anyone have any other ideas?? Please? This is ridiculously annoying.

Natey2

Reaction score
Ok, my phone was doing this problem and at first the gallery 3d worked... Now, its doing it again and NOTHING is working. does anyone have any other ideas?? Please? This is ridiculously annoying.

The Motorola gallery is terrible at error handling. The 3D gallery (cooliris) is a little better. You can also try JustPictures! from the Market. It is more robust.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

arabstar1982

Reaction score
My question is, is this gallery issue just a few bad phones or a known issue? Aka do I request another phone frm Verizon since the phone technically isn't working properly or just get a new app for gallery and deal with it? My photo widget pictures wont show up either. Im out of options other than calling Verizon. I shouldn't have to use a third party app to access my pictures.....

Natey2

Reaction score
I'd take it in to a Verizon store and see what their reps have to say.
My Motorola gallery crashes very often too, but I usually use the 3D cooliris gallery to fix it.
The problems tend to occur when I use Qik to take pictures/videos, and Qik locks up occasionally, and I have to fix the gallery manually.
What would it take Motorola to trap the error and at least display a black box, instead of crashing the gallery?

If you have a bad SD card, I could imagine the problem occurring more frequently.

ihcTactics

Reaction score
Okay, I looked into the gallery problem and my best option was just replace it with QuickPic (free from market). I haven't tried 3d, but all I want is a great, simple, fast gallery that will scan and load all my pictures or scan and load what I tell it to.

Here's my problem: I want to replace the link in the camera that loads the default gallery by clicking on the thumbnail in the bottom left. I want it to load QuickPic instead. Is this possible with the default camera or can a different camera app handle this request?

Even though I'm rooted, I'm against deleting built in apps unless I know it won't cause any issues know or later in updates. I want to try using a freezer app instead but I'm still looking for a good free one.

I've never edited code for a droid app, but I assume that the thumbnail link is just that, a command link to launch a program. If anyone knows how to do/change that, I'd be willing to try.

Natey2

Reaction score
I want to replace the link in the camera that loads the default gallery by clicking on the thumbnail in the bottom left. I want it to load QuickPic instead. Is this possible with the default camera or can a different camera app handle this request?

On my phone, that link brings up choice of the Motorola gallery or 3D cooliris gallery.

ihcTactics

Reaction score
I want to replace the link in the camera that loads the default gallery by clicking on the thumbnail in the bottom left. I want it to load QuickPic instead. Is this possible with the default camera or can a different camera app handle this request?

On my phone, that link brings up choice of the Motorola gallery or 3D cooliris

Yea I just dled gallery 3d real fast to try it out. I didn't like it: too slow, but I did like that it gave the option to open up gallery instead of the normal phone app.

I'm going to look into that later and see if I can find a code line they use that QuickPic doesn't.

Natey2

Reaction score
I believe the cooliris gallery was the default gallery in Android until Motorola replaced it with their gallery app.