Can't hear the caller

nickelocene

Reaction score
I just had the brand new Rezound for 3 days, and now I have a problem, I can't hear the caller:frown:. At least 3 out of 5 incoming calls, the caller can hear me clearly, but all I can hear is static through either BT headset, or from the phone directly. So, I went into the VZW store and got a brand new replacement. They used the same SIM card though. Now the problem is that 70% of my incoming call goes directly to my voice mail. For the rest 30%, sometime I can hear the caller, sometime I got static as the last one.
So, is this a known issue? Anyone else is having the same problem? What should I do? Go get another replacement?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's your BT? Have you tried another BT? Do the calls work via the handset?

OP
N

nickelocene

Reaction score
No, it's not the BT. I have the same problem with handset after I turned the BT off. What's more troubling is the problem with the second phone, that most of my calls went directly to the voice mail. I wonder if this is a 3G/4G issue, as I don't have 4G coverage at home, that's where I tested the second phone.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If this is happening in more than one general area, using the same cell, then I'd suggest go back to Verizon and ask for another SIM card. It's the only variable that remains the same. If it is happening in just 1 area it could well be a problem at that cell.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Sent from this Galaxy via Blue Tapatalk

OP
N

nickelocene

Reaction score
If this is happening in more than one general area, using the same cell, then I'd suggest go back to Verizon and ask for another SIM card. It's the only variable that remains the same. If it is happening in just 1 area it could well be a problem at that cell.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Sent from this Galaxy via Blue Tapatalk

Yea, I'm going to get another SIM card to try. When you say cell, do you mean the phone, or the location related to the tower? I know my home has a weak signal. But I have no problem making calls by Rezound, and I don't have any problem with D1, DX and DX2 over the years.
Now, I'm at work, and in a LTE area, the phone seems to be working OK so far. That makes me wonder if it's the switching problem between a 4G area to a 3G-only area.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The cell is what your phone connects to, often called a tower. The problem is in todays world cells very often aren't even attached to towers but may look like a tree, church steeple, rooftop air, power line transformer, conditioner unit or even part of a wall. It's amazing how ingenious they have become to meet local regulations and make home owners associations happy while giving better coverage.
It sounds like yours is happening on multiple cells, making me agree on you asking for another SIM card.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's an app called OpenSignal, which gives you a lot of information about your cell signal. It even gives you a map where the tower is as well as a pointer to show direction.

I also want to add that the sim card is related to the 4G, and not the phone. See http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/4gsim.html for more information.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's an app called OpenSignal, which gives you a lot of information about your cell signal. It even gives you a map where the tower is as well as a pointer to show direction.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Yup. I've got it, the closest cell to me is at the local fire station and dang if I can find it. It is camouflaged as something else.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

OP
N

nickelocene

Reaction score
Replaced the SIM card. still having the same problem. After talking to a T2 support, they are sending a ticket to a service engineer to look into all the calls that went through tower to my number. Hopefully, they will find something.
I noticed that I don't have as many problem when I'm in 4G coverage. But if I force the phone to CDMA only, I have the same problem. I already turned of the sleep mode and fastboot. I wonder if there is anything else I can do.
One thing, I never turned off my old phone, the OD. Could it be possible the cell is still trying to send signal to that phone when a call comes in?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Replaced the SIM card. still having the same problem. After talking to a T2 support, they are sending a ticket to a service engineer to look into all the calls that went through tower to my number. Hopefully, they will find something.
I noticed that I don't have as many problem when I'm in 4G coverage. But if I force the phone to CDMA only, I have the same problem. I already turned of the sleep mode and fastboot. I wonder if there is anything else I can do.
One thing, I never turned off my old phone, the OD. Could it be possible the cell is still trying to send signal to that phone when a call comes in?

Because of the way CDMA(and cell service in general) works, it can only truly associate one IMEI to a phone number. However if your closest tower hadn't been updated yet, it could potentially try to send a call to your old phone(if it was on) and your call would be routed from the closest tower with the proper programming. I've seen that happen a lot with texts while switching phones but never phone calls. I'm guessing since you were on the phone with T2 they should have ruled this out anyway. Have you played with LTE switch and put your phone in LTE+voice? I'd really be pissed at Verizon at this point if I were you.

OP
N

nickelocene

Reaction score
Because of the way CDMA(and cell service in general) works, it can only truly associate one IMEI to a phone number. However if your closest tower hadn't been updated yet, it could potentially try to send a call to your old phone(if it was on) and your call would be routed from the closest tower with the proper programming. I've seen that happen a lot with texts while switching phones but never phone calls. I'm guessing since you were on the phone with T2 they should have ruled this out anyway. Have you played with LTE switch and put your phone in LTE+voice? I'd really be pissed at Verizon at this point if I were you.

Yes, I'm not happy. But what are my options? I could swtich to another phone, like Spectrum. But is this a phone problem, or it's somehow related to the Verizon system. I already tried two brand new Rezounds, with two SIM cards, and same problem. And it seems nobody else is having the problem as I have. If this is system related, changing to another LTE phone will not help me. I'm just hoping their service engineer will find something out in their system.
When you say LTE switch and put my phone in LTE+voice mode, do you mean going into setting and change the network mode between LTE+CDMA and CDMA only? If that's what you mean, I did that and not helping. :frown:

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'd personally assume it's their service if you've gone through multiple phones / LTE SIMs. Regarding LTE switch I was just wondering if you'd changed any of the network options.

phb2911

Reaction score
I have a Droid Razr XT912 that I bought used... I send the phone to a technician who rooted and flashed the phone in order for it to work on Page Plus. When I got the phone back and called the technician to have and ESN change done, I realize that I was able to make and receive phone calls, the caller could hear me perfectly but I wasn't able to hear them. I've tried turning the speaker on and using earplugs but I still couldn't hear anything. The only way I can hear the call being placed is if I'm using a Bluetooth. All other sound, such as music playing or the phone ringing, work. I don't know if it has anything to do with the phone being rooted and flashed because I didn't test it before I sent it out.

Any help will be appreciated.