Can't hear caller!

lestejm

Reaction score
Have tracked the issue on my phone to be everytime I plug something in the headphone jack (headphones, aux cable to stereo) it happens. simple restart fixes it. hopefully the next OTA update will cure this

m21knight

Reaction score
I have been able to reproduce this about 50% of the time by taking a phone call while listening to music with headphones (not a headset) and then removing the headphones after the call ended. I can't reproduce it every time though. Seems like a software bug to me...any one else have a similar experience?

DarrellM5

Reaction score
I had it happen today. I was connected to the computer with the USB cable at the time. I wasn't using headphones.

OP
Z

zfly9

Reaction score
As the person who started this thread... I believe it's a hardware issue.. I went to Verizon and they gave me a new one no question and haven't had the problem since. I use headphones all the time and switch them out constantly.

m21knight

Reaction score
As the person who started this thread... I believe it's a hardware issue.. I went to Verizon and they gave me a new one no question and haven't had the problem since. I use headphones all the time and switch them out constantly.

As an ELM Engineer who works with this type of hardware frequently, I find hardware problems 95% of the time result in complete failure. It is more likley the the software engineers who customized the software, didn't anticipate such a large tolerance in the hardware. Often the SE's start off with one set of hardware in the prototype only to end up with a few "comparable" alternative components.

In any case, I can say with all likleyhood that a software patch could fix this if they are aware of the problem.

lisa97225

Reaction score
Which Volume Control App fixed this?

I have a similar problem. Have only had the phone for a few days, but purchased from Amazon, so returning it for a new one would not be easy/fun (weeks with NO phone?). Anyway, I can barely hear the other person when I use the phone. Was going to download a volume control app that someone here suggested, but there are 3 free ones to choose from - one from Trystania with a speaker icon, one from Revosolutionary Development with a bar graph icon and one that just says "New" with a ladybug icon. Any suggestions on which to try?

Last edited:

jdonnell

Reaction score
voice control

Over the past week, many of the calls I've received have been too faint to hear, but the speaker phone worked most of the time. Yesterday, the speaker phone was the only thing that worked.

I downloaded the Volume Control App (as suggested) and it's fixed the problem.

Toji53

Reaction score
I'm on my third phone because of this problem, and it's doing it too! Every time I take it to Verizon they have no idea what could be causing it, so I wait for a replacement. Every time I get the replacement it works great but it seems like as soon as I start using headphones I'm forced to use speaker-phone to hear the caller (I really don't know if that has anything to do with it, though). This can't be a coincidence. I'm forced to get a 4th phone in 3 months.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: