Can't delete SMS, date shows Dec 31, 1969?

gszeman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have several messages that show up as being received on Dec 31, 1969. When I try to delete the message it says "The entire thread will be deleted", I press delete and nothing happens...it's still there. The contents of the messages are all blank as well.

I know I can fix this by doing a wipe...but I would really rather not do that. I'm hoping there is a simpler fix/solution for this.

I'm running Bugless Beast v0.1 (Froyo), with bgill55's Clean Black theme and P3's 125/1100 kernel. I am also using the stock messaging app.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SS for your viewing pleasure ;)

12.31.69.jpg

Thanks,
Glenn

Skull One

Reaction score
Try loading Handcent from the market, deleting the threads from in there. If that works, just uninstall Handcent until the next time this happens.

OP
gszeman

gszeman

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I tried Handcent, and out does the sane thing as the stock messaging app...goes through as if it's deleting, but the messages are still there.

As far as Mobile Defense, not sure what I should be talking to them about?

I'm sure these "texts" reside somewhere on my phone...i tried looking around using Root Explorer, but I didn't see anything that looked like it would contain them...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

baniels

Reaction score
I didn't look at your image close enough. At first I thought only the mobile defense message was stuck.

projectrang

Reaction score
I haven't had any texts say that, but I have had some emails say they were delivered Dec 31, 1969. Its really weird, because if I use my email online, it shows the correct delivery date.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

nikkik

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue - but it's on email, not text. Same date- 1969 - can't delete them. They're all from unknown sources/junk mail. I'm new to the Droid. Seems like a strange error...

uisillini

Reaction score
Just checked my e-mail on my Droid and again I have 2 blank e-mails dated 12/31/1969. I can delete them, but they will return. They are from my outside (ameritech) e-mail but do not appear on any other e-mail programs--only on my droid. Thoughts?

Taegost

Reaction score
Well, for the messages that you can't delete on your droid, if you're rooted, try using Titanium Backup to wipe the data for just that one applications (From the backup/restore option when you first open it).
uisillini - If it has a web mail portal, try sigining in to that and see if you can track down that e-mail to delete it. If not, may want to contact the Ameritech support.

uisillini

Reaction score
Nope

The mysterious e-mail dated in 1969 does not show up on my e-mail through the provider. I have done some Google research and it seems to be an Android issue--but there doesn't seem to be any resolution. It only shows up now and then and I have been able to delete it (unlike other people).

I downloaded that Titanium Backup--seems way too intrusive, takes too much space, and wants to download "busy body" and at this point I don't see the point of putting more cr*p on my Droid so I got rid of it. Also, what the heck is "rooted?"

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Taegost

Reaction score
The mysterious e-mail dated in 1969 does not show up on my e-mail through the provider. I have done some Google research and it seems to be an Android issue--but there doesn't seem to be any resolution. It only shows up now and then and I have been able to delete it (unlike other people).

I downloaded that Titanium Backup--seems way too intrusive, takes too much space, and wants to download "busy body" and at this point I don't see the point of putting more cr*p on my Droid so I got rid of it. Also, what the heck is "rooted?"

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Heh, if you don't know what it is, then you're not, and Titanium won't work... It's meant to be intrusive, it's a backup program... But it won't help you in this situation, 'cuz you can't install Busybox.
I'm not sure if there are any other ways to wipe the data of just a single program or not, but that would still stand as my recommendation.

myriad46

Reaction score
Aren't we missing the obvious question here...how come there aren't any hotties in my text message que. :-(

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just checked my e-mail on my Droid and again I have 2 blank e-mails dated 12/31/1969. I can delete them, but they will return. They are from my outside (ameritech) e-mail but do not appear on any other e-mail programs--only on my droid. Thoughts?

Since I see this issue once a week I went looking for a solution. The ones I found yesterday was either turn off your Droid for 5 minutes or reboot it in safe mode and see if the time is right there. Then when you turn your Droid back on hopefully you have the correct date as well.

I didn't get a response as to whether that worked or not.