Empty Threads dated Dec 31, 1969 7:00pm HELP!

airic7

Reaction score
It started a few days ago, after I delete a conversation it drops to the bottom, appears empty but shows the date of Dec 31, 1969 7:00pm.

No matter what I do I can not delete them and my conversation list is now growing very large! I contacted Motorola via chat, i dont think the rep had ever seen this issue.

Please help if you can!

Thanks

mlxw

Reaction score
I too am having the same problem with my Droid Razer. Any solutions?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Where are you both having this problem? Is this texts, emails, or here on our forum?

OP
A

airic7

Reaction score
I have a droid bionic and it's happening in my text messaging....thanks.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Hmmm, this seems to be cropping up a lot recently. It seems to be with Motorola phones (og Razr, bionic, droid 4, Razr M so far). I wonder if it might be all Motorola ICS phones, just not everyone has noticed yet because they haven't tried to delete texts (or when they did, not notice the thread just moved to the bottom of just with 1969 date). Recent threads with same problem:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/230690-cant-delete-text-message-threads.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/230064-texts-not-deleting-completely.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/228411-cant-delete-text-thread-1969-problem.html

mlxw

Reaction score
Yea, it started a couple days ago. I tried to delete a mass amount of messages, then noticed the blank 12/31/1969 dated SMS messages at the bottom of my stock app. Over the next few days I've tried to fix the issue myself. I've been to as many other thread help sites with no answer.

Simple step fixes have worked for some but not all. I am one of those unlucky few.

I've started in Safe mode, & tried deletion, no luck.
I've hard booted with Recovery option, no luck.
I've done a backup & wiped my phone, no luck.
I've installed all texting apps, cleared caches, data info, still shows up.

This is becoming quite annoying.
What can we do? (besides tossing it....)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'm lost on the solution (other than those you're already tried). My next idea would be to contact Motorola...not that they have a solution yet, but so they are aware of it and because it seems to be happening on Motorola ICS phones.

jjgoose

Reaction score
I had this going on last week. Here is how I fixed it. "Delete all" does work, but you will lose all you txts. I used SMS backup free. Make a backup, go into your txts and "delete all", then restore your backup. The empty threads will not be restored. Seemd to fix mine and the problem is not back (yet).

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Good idea, jjgoose. Thanks! I use sms backup & restore (free) which allows you to save threads from specific people or specific dates.

uspopo

Reaction score
I had the same issue with empty text messages and downloaded 'History Eraser' from the marketplace and it took care of it.