Can't boot recovery

OP
D
Reaction score
I have tried tried and retried, I can not flash anything. I can restore my backups, but I can not flash the update or roms. I also can not rsd, or fast boot. They both fail, I can use the released 4ever fast boot, but that just brings me back to where I am now. when I try the 893 update the phone reboots and I get a message that fast boot failed, and at the bottom it says invalid cg recovery. If I reboot and then go into cwm recovery the update tries to install and fails I get the Android with examination. I tried saving the file and renaming it to update.zip and that fails, says

Failed: getprop ("ro.product.device")== "cdma_targa"ll
getprop ("ro.build.product")== "cdma_targa"

E:Error in /emmc/Blur_version.5.5.893.xt875.verizon.en.us

Status 7

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have tried tried and retried, I can not flash anything. I can restore my backups, but I can not flash the update or roms. I also can not rsd, or fast boot. They both fail, I can use the released 4ever fast boot, but that just brings me back to where I am now. when I try the 893 update the phone reboots and I get a message that fast boot failed, and at the bottom it says invalid cg recovery. If I reboot and then go into cwm recovery the update tries to install and fails I get the Android with examination. I tried saving the file and renaming it to update.zip and that fails, says

Failed: getprop ("ro.product.device")== "cdma_targa"ll
getprop ("ro.build.product")== "cdma_targa"

E:Error in /emmc/Blur_version.5.5.893.xt875.verizon.en.us

Status 7

I wasn't suggesting that you flash anything. I think you should reinstall the Cheesecake app and follow the instructions:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...erfect-bionic-cant-wait-update-heres-how.html

Here's the text from that link:

1) Next let's make a backup of our current setup....just in case
Open Bionic Boostrap, select first option, wait for success, select second option...when phone boots navigate to backup and restore, backup, and make a backup of your current setup.

Next....let's set ourselves up to get the new update
...what do you say?

2) Download and install the Cheesecake app which you can find in the first post of this thread

*Bootloader Unlock Research* Cheesecake Clarification - xda-developers

Direct link to download

http://db.tt/dDxs8cQ4

3) Install the apk

4) Open the app and click on the first option "Click to create proper files"
wait till complete and you get indication of success

5) Reboot your phone

ok....so here is the tough part....Let's get the update

6) Open the Cheesecake app again
7) select second option "Click to change server"
8) click on "staging"
9) click on "master-staging1.blurdev.com
10) now click the third button "Check for updates"

you will be greeted with a pop up saying it requires a Motorola Service account....just click setup to bypass it

IF you may see several options ( when I did this I did not see any options. The .893 just started downloading)....select the .893 option

When you select the 893 you are going to.....well....sit back and watch. It is an OTA from Moto that downloads and installs just like any OTA you have ever taken.....In other words, it will be an automated from this point on.

Good luck.

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
FYI the update will never flash correctly using CWM. OTA's will only flash correctly threw the stock recovery if I'm not mistaken. And obviously that is a problem because your recovery partition is hosed at this point. That said I do not believe there is a recovery.img file for .893 you can flash to the device to get it working again. I know there is no boot.img for sure.

The reason 4ever fastboot works is because it is only /system. And that is why when you try RSD, fastboot, or the 1-click restore from Dhacker which is all the original software ( ie .886 ) it fails every time.

OP
D
Reaction score
FYI the update will never flash correctly using CWM. OTA's will only flash correctly threw the stock recovery if I'm not mistaken. And obviously that is a problem because your recovery partition is hosed at this point. That said I do not believe there is a recovery.img file for .893 you can flash to the device to get it working again. I know there is no boot.img for sure.

The reason 4ever fastboot works is because it is only /system. And that is why when you try RSD, fastboot, or the 1-click restore from Dhacker which is all the original software ( ie .886 ) it fails every time.

This is what I figured, because every time it tries to go into recovery I get the message that it has invalid cg recovery.

Is there any way that I can push a stock recovery img using adb?

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
This is what I figured, because every time it tries to go into recovery I get the message that it has invalid cg recovery.

Is there any way that I can push a stock recovery img using adb?

I don't believe there is a way to push recovery.img to the device via ADB. On top of that there is no recovery.img file on the float to flash that is from OTA .893 seeing as the file being used is an update and NOT a full blown flash file where you could get just the one *.img you need. I've got a couple of emails off trying to get some input for ya tho as I know you are not the only one having this issue. ATM its getting discussed over at RootzWiki with someone else stuck in the same boat as you are currently.

If I get any feedback or somethign to try I'll for sure be back to report the info for you to test out.

OP
D
Reaction score
I don't believe there is a way to push recovery.img to the device via ADB. On top of that there is no recovery.img file on the float to flash that is from OTA .893 seeing as the file being used is an update and NOT a full blown flash file where you could get just the one *.img you need. I've got a couple of emails off trying to get some input for ya tho as I know you are not the only one having this issue. ATM its getting discussed over at RootzWiki with someone else stuck in the same boat as you are currently.

If I get any feedback or somethign to try I'll for sure be back to report the info for you to test out.

I just tried using fastboot to flash recovery img from 886 file, also tried to flash boot both give same message, infopreflash failure

could you post a link to the rootzwiki , so I can follow it. Thanks for the followup up.

I'd be more than happy to try just about anything.

I am about to just take it back. Maybe I'll just wait for the ota update and if it fails then take it back. Whose to say once the update does come OTA I'll be able to install it.?

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
Here is the link to it being talked about over at RoozWiki [ROOT] R3L3AS3D W/FOR3V3R ROOT V1.0 LINUX/WINDOWS (Get ROOT after 893 OTA OOPS) - RootzWiki

As for what you tried it will never work. Every time there is an OTA update the recovery is updated along with boot.img and if the info does not match correctly it will fail like you are seeing.

That said I ran across this a few mins ago and checked the file after download. I'm not sure it it will help you but I did notice there is a recovery folder as part of it so maybe it will. Here is a link to the thread to grab the download to test out for the heck of it.

Edit: duh forgot the link.....lol. btw still waiting on feedback from the emails I sent off as well. Any info I'l be back for sure as well.

Droid Bionic - CWR update.zip System only <886 ----> 893>

OP
D
Reaction score
Here is the link to it being talked about over at RoozWiki [ROOT] R3L3AS3D W/FOR3V3R ROOT V1.0 LINUX/WINDOWS (Get ROOT after 893 OTA OOPS) - RootzWiki

As for what you tried it will never work. Every time there is an OTA update the recovery is updated along with boot.img and if the info does not match correctly it will fail like you are seeing.

That said I ran across this a few mins ago and checked the file after download. I'm not sure it it will help you but I did notice there is a recovery folder as part of it so maybe it will. Here is a link to the thread to grab the download to test out for the heck of it.

Edit: duh forgot the link.....lol. btw still waiting on feedback from the emails I sent off as well. Any info I'l be back for sure as well.

Droid Bionic - CWR update.zip System only <886 ----> 893>

Yes, you sir, thank you, I installed it using cwm and after it flashed the system img, it unpacked the recovery. I am now able to access stock recovery, and am enjoying .893. I can not thank you enough.

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
Awesome.... I 'm glad to hear it worked out for you. No thanks needed my friend it is what we are all around for to assist others when trouble arises. And believe me I've had my issues over the yrs messing with Android device. Luckily tho at the time I had all unlocked dev units from Moto so I didn't have to mess with these dam locked bootlaoder which made life much easier to say the least. Anywhoo I'm just glad I was able to assist so you have a working device & recovery on .893

BTW: thanks for heading over to RootzWiki and commenting and posting the link. Was just going to do it after reading your reply to say it worked out. Hopefully it will help the others having the same issue as well.

OP
D
Reaction score
Awesome.... I 'm glad to hear it worked out for you. No thanks needed my friend it is what we are all around for to assist others when trouble arises. And believe me I've had my issues over the yrs messing with Android device. Luckily tho at the time I had all unlocked dev units from Moto so I didn't have to mess with these dam locked bootlaoder which made life much easier to say the least. Anywhoo I'm just glad I was able to assist so you have a working device & recovery on .893

BTW: thanks for heading over to RootzWiki and commenting and posting the link. Was just going to do it after reading your reply to say it worked out. Hopefully it will help the others having the same issue as well.

yeah, i've been running, my d1 with custom kernels roms themes, since I heard about rooting, never had a problem like this one. I just wish they all had unlocked boot loaders. And no problem on updating rootz, I looked there yesterday and didn't see anything about my problem. I couldn't remember your id otherwise I would have given you credit.

Thanks
Again

Josh

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
All good man, not a biggie. The main this is your are backing to working order. FYI I tossed a thanks at you over at RW for the post as I use the same ID over there as here. Actually use this same ID over at MDW & Hofo as well for future reference if anything comes up.

Nissanlover89

Reaction score
Thank god, I was in the exact same boat and was scared that I ruined my phone. I was in much worse situations a few times with OG Droid but i easily fixed everything on it myself but this seems to be much more difficult. Going to give this a try so I can finally fix my bootloader problem and get that new update. Great to know there is a good community behind the Motorola Bionic and quick development.

Thanks for all your help Aixelsyd.

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
Its all good. let us know how it goes for ya.

i'm curious tho. What issue are you having with the bootloader?

Nissanlover89

Reaction score
The exact same problem, somehow the new update failed to the point I have the new kernal but nothing else. Everytime I try to restore with all methods available I get placed back to my same situation. When I go into the bootloader it says it can not load with the same error message as OP. I tried reinstalling .893 through cheesecake and it fails with section 7. It happened last night, and something that might have been avoidable but I was half asleep and made a mistake.

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
The exact same problem, somehow the new update failed to the point I have the new kernal but nothing else. Everytime I try to restore with all methods available I get placed back to my same situation. When I go into the bootloader it says it can not load with the same error message as OP. I tried reinstalling .893 through cheesecake and it fails with section 7. It happened last night, and something that might have been avoidable but I was half asleep and made a mistake.

Well if you have the same error as the OP then the link I posted should do the trick to get you back to having a working recovery again at least. From there you should be able to whatever is needed at least.

FYI reason Cheesecake will not work anymore is everything needs to be stock for an OTA to work correctly so its not surprising atm it errors out on you.