Can't boot recovery

Reaction score
Ok so I am trying to do the .893 update, however when I try to fxz back to stock it fails on both the full and the minimal. The full fails in step 1 and the minimal fails in step 4. I tried the fastboot, and it fails when trying to flash the boot img. I was able to use the new fastboot from th3roy to flash the system, however after I get rerooted and I try to get into recovery to do a backup I get a message that says boot failed, battery ok ok to program connect USB

Then at the bottom it says invalid cg recovery.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Josh

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

gsDroid

Reaction score
I had a bad situation where I bricked my bionic using the standalone version of the 1-click method instead of the full windows version. Couldn't run 1-click or rsd methods. Finally someone posted to hold down vol up and vol down together and press the power button. That took me to recovery instead of the fastboot menu. There I could wipe data/factory reset. That allowed me to go back and use the correct 1-click method and I got back to stock. Now running r2blurr3d v2.0 with root and the ota radio update.

OP
D
Reaction score
Unfortunately That doesn't work

I can access everything in the bootlader screen except for recovery.

When I try to boot into recovery I get the following screen

Invalid Flash Mode (S) (Boot Failure)
0A.61

Battery Ok
Ok to Program
Transfer Mode:
USB Connected

Invalid CG Version (CG: Recovery)

Just tried to rsd again and it will no go past the first step in the full FXZ and the fourth step in the minimal FXZ, so I rebooted the phone and was able to get into the fastboot screen where I could try and do the fastboot from theroy again

Is there any way that i can just reflash the recovery? I believe that is what it is looking for.

Thanks

Josh

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok so I am trying to do the .893 update, however when I try to fxz back to stock it fails on both the full and the minimal. The full fails in step 1 and the minimal fails in step 4. I tried the fastboot, and it fails when trying to flash the boot img. I was able to use the new fastboot from th3roy to flash the system, however after I get rerooted and I try to get into recovery to do a backup I get a message that says boot failed, battery ok ok to program connect USB

Then at the bottom it says invalid cg recovery.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Josh

Hate to ask an obvious question, but did you install Clockwork with Bionic Bootstrap app after running R3L3as3d W/For3v3r Root?

OP
D
Reaction score
Success Somewhat

After I did the th3roy fastboot, again... I was still not able to get into recovery. So I re-installed bootstrap, still nothing then I reinstalled CWM still nothing, out of desperation i used fix permissions, and bam I was able to get into recovery, still couldn't do the update but I am back on reblurred 2.0 so we'll see.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hate to ask an obvious question, but did you install Clockwork with Bionic Bootstrap app after running R3L3as3d W/For3v3r Root?

Obvious question needed, yes I did install Bootstrap and CWM, I tried both ways with and without. Neither way worked until I fixed Permissions using CWM. I don't know why that made a difference for recovery but it did.

Thanks for the advice though.

Josh

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Obvious question needed, yes I did install Bootstrap and CWM, I tried both ways with and without. Neither way worked until I fixed Permissions using CWM. I don't know why that made a difference for recovery but it did.

Thanks for the advice though.

Josh

Hope it works out for you. The only other advice I have is based on what I learned over the past 24 hours of trying to do the .893 OTA. I finally got it, but it was a tough process due to my inattention. I worked my through the precess and apparently I missed the instruction on the Cheescake app to "reboot after pressing the first button". And because of that I ended with a total fubar (well almost). I had to use the R3l3as3d W/For3v3r Root. But last night I could not get it to work. It would load the .893 system, but it would not root. Went to bed all PO'd. This morning I get up and find there was an error in the Windows script. They released V1.1 of the script and it worked great. I'm now back on R3Blurr3d 2.o with the .893 OTA. My point is, obviously, that any deviation from their instructions will be costly (in terms of "time").

Good luck.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well I thought all was good however, I was wrong. Seems as if I can only get into recovery using Rom manager. When I try to install the update I keep getting the same message as above, however if I reboot to recovery from rom manager I don't have a problem. I will prevail...

wish me luck

Josh

OP
D
Reaction score
Well I believe I have figured out what my problem is. Every time I try to flash the update I get status 7 in ROM manager. From what I have found that usually indicates bad blocks. Looks like I am going to have to return it. Thanks for all of the help guys.

Josh

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
Well I thought all was good however, I was wrong. Seems as if I can only get into recovery using Rom manager. When I try to install the update I keep getting the same message as above, however if I reboot to recovery from rom manager I don't have a problem. I will prevail...

wish me luck

Josh

Which recovery is Rom Manager taking you to at this point. I've run into problems myself with CWM and rom Manager so I try avoiding it at all costs as mine partial bricked a few weeks back. To fix it I manually boot the device int to fastboot mode. from there I manually flashed recovery, boot, and system using the fastboot binary and got back to normal stock software. Once I did that I rooted it to then perma root it so I could move forward with updating to the .893 update that is on the float.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well I believe I have figured out what my problem is. Every time I try to flash the update I get status 7 in ROM manager. From what I have found that usually indicates bad blocks. Looks like I am going to have to return it. Thanks for all of the help guys.

Josh

Status 7 error normally means you have a problem with versions of either 1) the CWM doesn't match or 2) the new rom you are trying to install is not compatible with the radio/kernel you have on your phone. I would think number 2 is your problem.

I would suggest you redo the R3L3A3D W/FOR3V3R Root and reinstall CWM via Bionic Bootstrap and try everything again.

Good luck.

OP
D
Reaction score
The only fastboot that I can use is the released 4everroot one, which does not replace boot or recovery, when I try to flash the stock fastboot it fails every time.

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry accidentally hit submit, I am using cwm for recovery add that is the only thing I can boot into. My phone is fully functional, I just can't flash anything. And I am rooted.

OP
D
Reaction score
@bayou

After reading your reply I looked into my about phone and noticed that my kernel is the one that is shown in the update guide 2.6.35.7-g68606e6 vwm736@il93lnxdroid43 #1

it
Would seem as if I am on the new kernel

But my system is 5.5.886

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
@bayou

After reading your reply I looked into my about phone and noticed that my kernel is the one that is shown in the update guide 2.6.35.7-g68606e6 vwm736@il93lnxdroid43 #1

it
Would seem as if I am on the new kernel

But my system is 5.5.886

That's what I thought.

To get out of this you need to 1) verify that you have the forever root mod, 2) reinstall the .893 OTA. This will get you back to the kernel and system matching. You will then be able to install the 2.0.