Can you root when running .215?

Ksupernor2

Reaction score
I'm running. .215 and I want root my razr maxx. Do I need to go back to. 211? I have searched this and no one has seem to answer this. Thanks

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I'm running. .215 and I want root my razr maxx. Do I need to go back to. 211? I have searched this and no one has seem to answer this. Thanks
No, you can root .215 without going back to .211. Download and install the RazrUtility 1.82 or 1.81 (I recommend 1.82) found on this forum. After downloading to your computer extract the .zip file to its own folder (do not run the .bat file from within the .zip...the utility usually won't run correctly if you do that). In the folder that you just extracted the .zip file you will find a drivers folder...install the drivers for you PC (64 bit or 32 bit). After driver installation, on your phone, make sure usb debugging is selected under developer options. Now power off you phone. Start the Utility by selecting the .bat file from the folder. Power your phone back on by holding down the power button, volume up button and volume down button together. You will boot to a black screen with white lettering. Scroll down to AP Fastboot using the volume down button and select by pressing the power button. Connect you phone to your PC by using the factory provided usb cable. Once connected, on you phone, select usb connection media...not mass storage. Allow a little time for you computer to recognize your phone. In the utility select the root option. The root process takes a few minutes, do not stop the utility until you see a "success" message displayed on your computer screen.

OP
Ksupernor2

Ksupernor2

Reaction score
Thank you. I very much appreciate you giving me the full directions. I'm going to do it this evening. Once rooted I'm thinking about installing the cm10 jelly bean rom. I guess I'll cross the rom'ing bridge when I get there.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Thank you. I very much appreciate you giving me the full directions. I'm going to do it this evening. Once rooted I'm thinking about installing the cm10 jelly bean rom. I guess I'll cross the rom'ing bridge when I get there.
Well you can do that, but I'd take a little time and research the process of flashing ROMs. It is safe if you know what you are doing and have the right tools. As a start I'd do a little reading on what exactly flashing a ROM does and the tool most often used to do it...SafeStrap. Very seldom do you hear of a user bricking their phone by rooting it or trying to root it. Root is very safe and pretty simple. Flashing ROMs can get you into considerably more trouble...the worst case is a totally bricked/unrecoverable phone. So, enjoy root, download some apps that require root, do some research on flashing ROMs and then reading the subforum here on this forum about hacks/hacking. Another important aspect off flashing ROMs is to know as much about the ROM as possible. The problem with many ROMs is that not everything works...camera, some apps, bad battery life, bad data connection or dropped data etc.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
You can also use the utility to install safestrap by the way. I would recommend doing so if flashing roms is something that interests you. You don't have to use it, but it will be there when you need it. I have been flashing custom roms now for a month, and I agree with jp, do a lot of research before taking that step. You should have a healthy level of fear. Also you can use safestrap to make a nandroid backup of your stock Rom

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
You can also use the utility to install safestrap by the way. I would recommend doing so if flashing roms is something that interests you. You don't have to use it, but it will be there when you need it. I have been flashing custom roms now for a month, and I agree with jp, do a lot of research before taking that step. You should have a healthy level of fear. Also you can use safestrap to make a nandroid backup of your stock Rom
"You should have a healthy level of fear":gotmyvote:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well you can do that, but I'd take a little time and research the process of flashing ROMs. It is safe if you know what you are doing and have the right tools. As a start I'd do a little reading on what exactly flashing a ROM does and the tool most often used to do it...SafeStrap. Very seldom do you hear of a user bricking their phone by rooting it or trying to root it. Root is very safe and pretty simple. Flashing ROMs can get you into considerably more trouble...the worst case is a totally bricked/unrecoverable phone. So, enjoy root, download some apps that require root, do some research on flashing ROMs and then reading the subforum here on this forum about hacks/hacking. Another important aspect off flashing ROMs is to know as much about the ROM as possible. The problem with many ROMs is that not everything works...camera, some apps, bad battery life, bad data connection or dropped data etc.

You guys make me so proud! :eek::thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Hahaha, at least we're not embarrassing you.(must of the time)

Sent from my XT912 running some custom Rom.....I can't keep changing this sig

OP
Ksupernor2

Ksupernor2

Reaction score
Now I'm scared.... Haha. I will do a lot of research before I try flashing custom rom. I have rooted my old bionic before and that was pretty easy. I've had the razr for 9 months now and I'm finally going to root. I am very cautious about doing things to my phone since it's my daily driver. I will probably just wait till I upgrade phones and use the old one to experiment flashing roms. Thanks for all the good input.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Now I'm scared.... Haha. I will do a lot of research before I try flashing custom rom. I have rooted my old bionic before and that was pretty easy. I've had the razr for 9 months now and I'm finally going to root. I am very cautious about doing things to my phone since it's my daily driver. I will probably just wait till I upgrade phones and use the old one to experiment flashing roms. Thanks for all the good input.
Don't be scared...just be informed:biggrin: