Latest Official ICS Version

OP
Papa_T

Papa_T

Reaction score
In es file explorer, tap the up button along the top until you get to the root files... then system, then media.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Thanks TisMyDroid. I knew I saw it one time, but couldn't get back to it. Now when i try to rename the bootanimation.zip to bootanimation.bak, I get an error message of "An unknown error exception has occured" followed by a long line of info. Why is this?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If you are using root explorer then at the top, try changing the r/w to r/o (or the other way around... I always forget which).

OP
Papa_T

Papa_T

Reaction score
Down loaded Root Browser and was able to rename the stock boot animation. Now on to the next step.

Let you know how it goes.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ok, good luck! Make sure you document everything in case you have to change it back again.

OP
Papa_T

Papa_T

Reaction score
Okay, the dancing droid does not show up at all, even though the device is rebooting. Does it matter if the animation was developed for GB? I don't know that it was, just thinking if this might be the reason I get a blank screen while it's rebooting.

Edit 1: Jelly Bean animation did the same thing. A totally blank screen until the lock screen appears. ???:question:

Edit 2: The Galaxy Nexus ICS boot animation will run, but it does not cove the entire screen. Sorry, not sure what this is called. Written in a smaller scale maybe??

Edit 3: Did get some of the animations to work. I'm guess I'm good with that. Will keep playing around with it to see which one I like best.

Last edited:
OP
Papa_T

Papa_T

Reaction score
I can't help but laugh now. Somehow I managed to get one particular animation to run, but now I can't change from that one. This comes from the ROM Toolbox app if that makes a difference.

I just deleted every bootanimation in /system/media and the ROM Toolbox and the same animation ran again. Where else could it be running from?

Edit: Added information.

Last edited:
OP
Papa_T

Papa_T

Reaction score
HA HA HA. I figured it out. It just took me time to play around with it and try different settings. I finally got the RAZR bootanimation in blue to work using the ROM Toolbox. dancedroid The more I play around with the Droid, the more I am sure glad I choose this over the iPhone (ooh, can I say that on here? :biggrin:)

djspy

Reaction score
Download https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheck&feature=search_result and run it. If you are rooted it will report so. You do have to have Superuser installed and activated to be fully Rooted.

As for installing custom boot animations there is ONE way to do it without root (requires PC connection via USB)...how do I know? Well, MattyP and I developed it. As for the /System/Media folder, if you don't have full root, you won't see it since you need to be at the root directory (similar to the c:\ directory on your computer) before you can see the System folder, and then in the System folder is a Media folder.

So you're saying that by simply connecting my phone to my PC via USB I gain access to all my files with out being rooted?

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So you're saying that by simply connecting my phone to my PC via USB I gain access to all my files with out being rooted?

Not "all" of them ... rooting will give you access to system files and folders ... USB will not :)