Are you running the .215 Leak on your Razr or Maxx?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Late to the party...

But I'll throw my .02 in here. I side overwhelmingly with Jpcalhoun and will go so far as to say that I am almost certain it will NOT install over .215. To answer some questions...

The "Leaks" come from a server which is accessed by a secretly distributed software package to a portal on the server. This is for Developers ONLY, but some Developers "accidentally on purpose" let a copy of that software slip to the "outside world". Once in the hands of the hackers, they simply open Pandora's box to see what's inside. When they see something of interest, they pull it down with the software tool and "leak" it to the general public.

As for the fact that it's "official signed" software doesn't mean it's automatically going to be considered "the right conditions for the upgrade" by the new upgrade package. Anyone who's helped somebody trying to flash a new or old ROM over an existing system knows how even the slightest change to the existing system can wreak havoc on the process. People "uninstall" or "delete" so-called "bloatware", and then when the new update comes along...nothing. It won't work. Well, that's because the software is doing checksums to see what on the system is different.

As Tis said, if the software were inadvertently installed over a corrupted system that is otherwise apparently working "perfectly", the changes that corrupted the system could render the new system completely useless and could even cause the phone to be permanently bricked. Also as for version numbers, the numbering montra is such that the "update" will have a system number (or better said "filename"), that is the number of the EXISTING ROM, not the new ROM, so an update to JellyBean will likely be named 6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip. This is from Matt's post for the 1.7 version; The 6.16.211 Update (named as 6.12.181 on the zip file because that is how Motorola names it). SO you see, Motorola names the NEW version with the OLD version's number, or in other words, the name is not of the upgrade itself, but of the ROM it is upgrading FROM. SO when it looks to see what it's upgrading, if the name of the file doesn't match the system it polls, it fails on the spot. This is also so that someone with an XT910 for instance, doesn't flash an XT912 ROM over-top and blow the radios, for instance.

I will go out on a limb here and say, if the update is coming, we will ALL have to either RSD Lite back to .211, or use the Droid RAZR Utility so graciously created and dispensed for free by Matt L Groff to effect the same. By the way, I did the RSD Lite in another thread (I can't recall the thread name - a little help here, Tis, Matty, anyone for an old guy?) The full blow-by-blow showed it was successful and was really fast and easy. For those who don't want to be so "hands-on", Matt's utility performs the same functionality with just a tiny bit of setup and then one menu selection.

Last edited:

jp233

Reaction score
my 2 cents

Being somewhat involved in s/w development, I bet that 215 was fully tested and put through all the rigor by Moto, but it was just decided not to be released officially to the customer (Verizon) because VZW just wanst to wait to push JB instead. Maybe so that the RAZR series all get JB and they are all the same in a short period. And I'm sure Verizon was betting on folks not being happy with ICS 211 and simply getting other phones or upgrading out of cycle, etc (read: $$$). So the Moto developers leak the 215 because they know it can help people and that it works. All s/w developers want s/w out there with their stink on it.... that works, right? :) Except evil hackers :) haha

Since 215 is so allegedly stable and does seem to improve a lot of people's issues (I am an outsider looking in, as I'm still stock 211 OTA), doesn't it make sense that it was fully tested and was basically "of the pedigree" that was eligible for release and legit -- just didn't get pushed by VZW?

If true, VZW kinda sucks eggs for not giving us the option to take an OTA. Maybe there's a lot of overhead and cost associated with an "official" OTA..... I dunno.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
FoxKat said:
Late to the party...

But I'll throw my .02 in here. I side overwhelmingly with Jpcalhoun and will go so far as to say that I am almost certain it will NOT install over .215. To answer some questions...

The "Leaks" come from a server which is accessed by a secretly distributed software package to a portal on the server. This is for Developers ONLY, but some Developers "accidentally on purpose" let a copy of that software slip to the "outside world". Once in the hands of the hackers, they simply open Pandora's box to see what's inside. When they see something of interest, they pull it down with the software tool and "leak" it to the general public.

As for the fact that it's "official signed" software doesn't mean it's automatically going to be considered "the right conditions for the upgrade" by the new upgrade package. Anyone who's helped somebody trying to flash a new or old ROM over an existing system knows how even the slightest change to the existing system can wreak havoc on the process. People "uninstall" or "delete" so-called "bloatware", and then when the new update comes along...nothing. It won't work. Well, that's because the software is doing checksums to see what on the system is different.

As Tis said, if the software were inadvertently installed over a corrupted system that is otherwise apparently working "perfectly", the changes that corrupted the system could render the new system completely useless and could even cause the phone to be permanently bricked. Also as for version numbers, the numbering montra is such that the "update" will have a system number (or better said "filename"), that is the number of the EXISTING ROM, not the new ROM, so an update to JellyBean will likely be named 6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip. This is from Matt's post for the 1.7 version; The 6.16.211 Update (named as 6.12.181 on the zip file because that is how Motorola names it). SO you see, Motorola names the NEW version with the OLD version's number, or in other words, the name is not of the upgrade itself, but of the ROM it is upgrading FROM. SO when it looks to see what it's upgrading, if the name of the file doesn't match the system it polls, it fails on the spot. This is also so that someone with an XT910 for instance, doesn't flash an XT912 ROM over-top and blow the radios, for instance.

I will go out on a limb here and say, if the update is coming, we will ALL have to either RSD Lite back to .211, or use the Droid RAZR Utility so graciously created and dispensed for free by Matt L Groff to effect the same. By the way, I did the RSD Lite in another thread (I can't recall the thread name - a little help here, Tis, Matty, anyone for an old guy?) The full blow-by-blow showed it was successful and was really fast and easy. For those who don't want to be so "hands-on", Matt's utility performs the same functionality with just a tiny bit of setup and then one menu selection.

There you have it, short and sweet and concise... all hail FoxKat!! :D

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There you have it, short and sweet and concise... all hail FoxKat!! :D

Ahem, Ahh...,yeah.

:rolleyes:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
By the way, I did the RSD Lite in another thread (I can't recall the thread name - a little help here, Tis, Matty, anyone for an old guy?) The full blow-by-blow showed it was successful and was really fast and easy. For those who don't want to be so "hands-on", Matt's utility performs the same functionality with just a tiny bit of setup and then one menu selection.

Is this it? (I saved it cuz thought I might need it)
post #48 : http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-razr-maxx-ics-discussion/216737-ics-leak-215-a-5.html

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

Hazel0017

Reaction score
ok so i was thinking, say i dl the leak and i endup having problems with the phone and i have to in time send it back. will it be a problem to go back to ics?

moset

Reaction score
ok so i was thinking, say i dl the leak and i endup having problems with the phone and i have to in time send it back. will it be a problem to go back to ics?

This is ICS. It's the update that never got pushed to fix issues some were having with the original Official ICS that Motorola sent out OTA.
As for going back to the official version there is a way to do that with your computer. You will likely have to do that when they push JB for the RAZR. I would think at this point you should sit tight and wait for JB, which should be coming within a month or so. That's the point of this thread, will we have to go back to. 211 to get the JB OTA? It's not difficult to do but you will have to reload all your app and it will take some time. And there is some risk although minimal.
Worst case, you have to send your phone back for replacement with. 215 on it, they could say you voided the warranty.

RAZR MAXX

moset

Reaction score
I think the RAZR/MAXX are next in line for JB. Then DROID 4 then finally Bionic.
Just my opinion, it's worth what you paid for it.

RAZR MAXX

Hazel0017

Reaction score
hey guys i wondering if you can help. i got my replacement phone today and after having it for an hour i can tell you that it jumps around like the other did. should i install the leak to see if it fixes this?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
hey guys i wondering if you can help. i got my replacement phone today and after having it for an hour i can tell you that it jumps around like the other did. should i install the leak to see if it fixes this?
What do you mean by "jumping around", can you be more specific.

moset

Reaction score

I wouldn't advise it. You got something going on that makes no sense. I doubt 215 will help.
Does it do that on charger or all the time?

RAZR MAXX

Hazel0017

Reaction score
all the time. this is my 3rd phone in less than a month. this really sucks i can't text on it. i can't set up my email. can someone pass me a hammer?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
all the time. this is my 3rd phone in less than a month. this really sucks i can't text on it. i can't set up my email. can someone pass me a hammer?
Take it back to Verizon. There is something going on here that doesn't make sense. Three phones in a month all with the same problem...I have a hard time understanding that!

moset

Reaction score

That sound really strange. Is it possible your touching the screen or the capacitive buttons while doing other stuff.
I have found myself doing that one handed trying to reach the top of the screen.

RAZR MAXX