Several questions????

jsandy

Reaction score
After a lot of reading and research (mainly here) I rooted my Razr Maxx and am on .215. I did this primarily because I'm grandfathered in on Verizon for unlimited data and wanted to use my phone as my primary internet access for my home. (I live in the sticks and the only connection I had was Hughes.net). My questions deal with going back to .211 to get the OTA jb update.
1. I have not yet received notice of the OTA. Will I receive notice if I'm on .215?
2. Because my primary interest is WiFi tether, if I go back to .211 to accept the OTA, can i root and get WiFi tether after the OTA?

I'm sorry If these are very basic questions. I've read and read but it just isn't clear to me. Thanks.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Assuming you mean to access the WiFi hotspot without a subscription yes, if you root you have several ways to use WiFi Hotspot. There are several users reporting at least two that I've read, apps that work after root, and additionally a method of hacking an SQL file after rooting, to apparently turn the WiFi hotspot on without a subscription.

FoxKat posted in a different thread:
Go here and read KaChow's great instruction post. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/razr-hd-maxx-hd-development-hacking/235148-entitlement-hack-razr-hd-maxx-hd-xt926-wireless-usb-ics-jb.html Yes, the thread says HD, but he also includes the instructions for the regular RAZR and RAZR MASS, XT-912.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yellow Jacket is correct. You will need to roll back to .211 too upgrade. See my thread in RAZR support for instructions.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=234792
FoxKat's Razr/Maxx Jelly Bean Leak Classroom W/MattyP & Friends

Classroom 1 is for rolling back to .211. Once done, you can receive the ota to 98.72.16, so you'll skip the rest.

As an alternate, you can use the new Droid RAZR Utility Jelly Bean version to flash Jelly Bean and root with Dan Rosenberg's RAZR_Blade exploit, also included. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=239539
DROID RAZR Utility XT912 Jellybean -- Windows + Mac + Linux (All In One!)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
J

jsandy

Reaction score
Yellow Jacket is correct. You will need to roll back to .211 too upgrade. See my thread in RAZR support for instructions.

Classroom 1 is for rolling back to .211. Once done, you can receive the ota to 98.72.16, so you'll skip the rest.

As an alternate, you can use the new Droid RAZR Utility Jelly Bean version to flash Jelly Bean and root with Dan Rosenberg's RAZR_Blade exploit, also included. [TOOLS] DROID RAZR Utility XT912 Jellybean -- Windows + Mac + Linux (All In One!)
DROID RAZR Utility XT912 Jellybean -- Windows + Mac + Linux (All In One!)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I know I sound dense but I just want to be sure. Can I use your alternative method without rolling back to .211? I checked and I am on XT912.

OP
J

jsandy

Reaction score
I know that I sound really dumb but I don't understand if using the Droid Razr Utility XT912 is an alternative to Classroom 1 or just to accepting the OTA. My only question is "If I use your alternate, do I have to go back to .211?" Sorry to keep bugging you guys