"Can I See Your Droid"?

AKValle26

Reaction score
are you all serious?? this IS a joke...right?!?

Fallsgable, here's why I rarely let others touch my droid (applying logic):

We'll estimate the droid's value at $500 (definitely a lowball)
Since it's a fairly new device and people who ask "can I see your droid" more than likely have very little experience with it, I'll say that there's a 1% chance that they will accidentally drop/break/damage/steal/etc the device (once again, a lowball estimate)
Statistically (law of large numbers), the expected outcome of a "can I see your droid" will result in a loss of $5 every time you let someone see your phone
Now you have a generalized $5 loss when you let someone see your phone, to a $0 gain (monetary or otherwise)

Now most of the people who will ask to see your droid will be close friends and you can trust them with holding the droid. You value their friendship and see the $5 risk as an acceptable trade-off for that continued support (not that they will no longer be friends with you or anything, but you understand)

However, when others (people we don't know) want to see the droid, I am not willing to trade-off my $5. Why? Because there is nothing to gain from it. Unless, of course you're so insecure that you need every possible way to feel good about yourself as they compliment the device. Then, I guess that's your problem and not ours

dodgersrgood

Reaction score
Ah ok well in that case I will not let someone play ethics my Droid, not because I'm having a secret love affair with but because I have ALOT of nude photos and videos of my girlfriend on it! :) Last time I let someone use it they started going through my media folders.

haha same thing here! theres an app called photo vault which saved me

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hrmmmm funny thing I was that guy at the poker game who asked to see the DROID phone.

NOT the OP's poker game, but 2 weeks ago the wife and I were at a friends house for a porker party. some one there had a DROID I had heard of the phone but had not seen it before or handled one. he showed me how you can record video and upload right to youtube. how you can take a photo and post directly to face book. download an MP3 from the net save it as a ring tone etc. I used to see the phone and really had no idea what to do with it, but knew I MUST HAVE ONE. I went to work Monday and did some research on the droid Vs. HTC Eric and even the Nexus ONE... I decide I like the build quality of Motorola, and Qwerty Keyboard. I didn't want to wait for Nexus ONE to come out so I ended up with a Moto Droid.

having the phone for a week now there is so much to do with this phone its unreal.

but yeah I was that GUY who asked to see the phone and when I got it I had no idea what to do with it.

-=Jason=-

Guchi

Reaction score
are you all serious?? this IS a joke...right?!?

Fallsgable, here's why I rarely let others touch my droid (applying logic):

We'll estimate the droid's value at $500 (definitely a lowball)
Since it's a fairly new device and people who ask "can I see your droid" more than likely have very little experience with it, I'll say that there's a 1% chance that they will accidentally drop/break/damage/steal/etc the device (once again, a lowball estimate)
Statistically (law of large numbers), the expected outcome of a "can I see your droid" will result in a loss of $5 every time you let someone see your phone
Now you have a generalized $5 loss when you let someone see your phone, to a $0 gain (monetary or otherwise)

Now most of the people who will ask to see your droid will be close friends and you can trust them with holding the droid. You value their friendship and see the $5 risk as an acceptable trade-off for that continued support (not that they will no longer be friends with you or anything, but you understand)

However, when others (people we don't know) want to see the droid, I am not willing to trade-off my $5. Why? Because there is nothing to gain from it. Unless, of course you're so insecure that you need every possible way to feel good about yourself as they compliment the device. Then, I guess that's your problem and not ours

you would make a good poker player! lol

CKyle22

Reaction score
I say no unless they're close friends. The reason being that people usually go through my email and texts. However, I DID let my friend use my phone to call his girlfriend yesterday. He had AT&T and couldn't get a signal! :)

irishdroid

Reaction score
Actually this I can understand. My buddy who I was showing swype too, I have let him use mine. Thing is his wife has a droid so he knows how it works.[/QUOTE]

His wife probably won't let him play with her Droid. I won't let anyone in my own family touch mine, that may be horrible but it is for thier own protection....from my foot in someones rear end if it got dropped. My wife last night asked if she could use my Droid to send a text, I gave her a strange look, but, handed her the phone. She said okay, what do I do? I said, wel first, hand it back to me. Next, tell me who to end it too and what to say.

The Droid can be very intimidating to some folks, it was my first smart device and I took right to it from the moment I got it.

tu3218

Reaction score
Yeah I was showing off google sky to my family and my little 7 and 5 year old cousins loved! it. Whether they knew actually what it was doing, I'm not sure. I guess since everyone else was amazed they were to. But they kept trying to hold my phone and hold it up outside. I did let them but I was scared the whole time with them holding it over concrete. Don't think I'd let them do it again. But yeah I usually just show people the phone since most people don't know how it works anyway.

alexb

Reaction score
She said okay, what do I do? I said, wel first, hand it back to me. Next, tell me who to end it too and what to say.
:rofl3:

I love how obscure and mysterious the Droid is to the uninitiated. I handed it to a friend that asked if he could see my droid, and watched him hand it back in defeat 10 seconds later.

It was a tense 10 seconds though.

OMEGA5

Reaction score
When I let people see it I give them the "ten second rule" if they can figure out how to unlock it in 10 seconds or less they may continue to play, otherwise it goes into "demo mode" only, where I show them how it works and they watch in amazement and wonder. The only person I exempted was the president of my company(sucking up never hurts right? besides he's actually a pretty smart guy anyways.) who immediately went and bought one. I'm leery otherwise as it was an expensive piece of equipment and even though I have insurance on it, I'd rather not have to replace the 40+ apps and all the customization I have done to it.

edit: I do love handing it to iphone users and watch them fumble around like buffoons trying to figure it out, since it's not the cookie cutter home they are used to where everyones iphone is basically the same.

Last edited:

thegipper

Reaction score
I would let anyone (adult, non-skel) see it if they asked. Reason being that if they are interested in it as a platform, I am at that moment an ambassador if you will for droid, helping to convert the masses.

If it's dropped or broken they will pay for it, or worst case i'll make the insurance claim.

My 2year old daughter always plays with my droid. My wife is guilty of starting that ball rolling by giving her, her droid to play with.

bossrogue

Reaction score
I don't want anyone touching my phone. Period. End of story. For a couple of different reasons.

1. If they break it, the only thing they have to say is "sorry" And last time I checked, sorry doesn't fix anything.
2. Most people's phones have a lot of personal stuff on there, keyword personal.
3. Because it's mine. (See with your eyes, not your hands)

Dankinia

Reaction score
I have let adult members of my family handle my Droid because saying "no" to my mother might be a bad thing even if I am in my thirties. :icon_eek: I also allowed one of my co-workers handle it to reinforce the superiority of the Droid over his iphone.

I don't hand expensive gadgets to people I don't know or children. Too much risk.

Psychokitty

Reaction score
fallsgable, your right, it is just a phone, and it doesn't make you special. But your opinion is just an opinion, and it doesn't make you special, either. Your opinion doesn't make you a jackass, but your choice of presentation here does. There's no need to try to belittle or denigrate anyone else here by using huge font along with your sarcasm. We get it; you're far above the rest of us as we wallow in our petty materialistic lust. :icon_rolleyes:
Someone asks to see mt Droid and I say "Got 600 bucks in case you drop it?".
If you don't hand it over, the person's gonna think you're a jerk anyway, so what's the difference?