Can email be sorted?

Droidpanda

Reaction score
My Droid2 is connected to Outlook and I was curious if there is a way to sort email, such as by contact name,subject or by Unread. Right now the only way to view email is in the order it was received. I figure if my old PDA could sort, a smartphone should have the same capability. Thanks for any insight!

OP
D

Droidpanda

Reaction score
Thanks for weighing in. I don't know what these programs are and can certainly look into them, but I'm more curious about the basic operating system for the Droid2 in terms of whether it has any inherent functionality when it comes to checking email beyond it's primary chronological format.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Technically, the operating system doesn't check email. The apps that are loaded onto the OS can check email, but I think most email apps check the email chronologically.

I use K9 with a POP3 account and haven't had any problems at all.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Technically, the operating system doesn't check email. The apps that are loaded onto the OS can check email, but I think most email apps check the email chronologically.

I'd love to know what you're doing differently than myself.

I only see the inbox and trash. I don't have a sent folder, drafts, outbox, etc.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

I only see the inbox and trash. I don't have a sent folder, drafts, outbox, etc.

Yeah, I was wondering what you meant by only 2 mailboxes. So you're checking one mailbox but the folders aren't showing up, right?

That's kinda weird because when I set up a pop account in K9, it automatically shows sent, drafts, outbox. Anyway, what you can try is going to your "Folders" view in K9 (where you see the list of folders), then hit the phone's menu key, hit "Folders" (again) and a menu will pop up. The first thing to try is "Display all folders". Then go to menu > Folders again and choose "Refresh folders". If that doesn't do it, I don't know what will. It's kinda strange that you'd have to do that for POP3 because as I said, it always worked by default for me. If it works, the display of the folders will stick and you'll be good to go.

Hm, I wonder if in settings you had set "Folders to display" to "Only 1st Class folders" or something.

pool_shark

Reaction score

Yeah, I was wondering what you meant by only 2 mailboxes. So you're checking one mailbox but the folders aren't showing up, right?

That's kinda weird because when I set up a pop account in K9, it automatically shows sent, drafts, outbox. Anyway, what you can try is going to your "Folders" view in K9 (where you see the list of folders), then hit the phone's menu key, hit "Folders" (again) and a menu will pop up. The first thing to try is "Display all folders". Then go to menu > Folders again and choose "Refresh folders". If that doesn't do it, I don't know what will. It's kinda strange that you'd have to do that for POP3 because as I said, it always worked by default for me. If it works, the display of the folders will stick and you'll be good to go.

Hm, I wonder if in settings you had set "Folders to display" to "Only 1st Class folders" or something.

I've tried everything with the folders, show all, 1st class and 2nd class, refresh, etc, I get nothing.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's strange. You have the setting (not in the folder view, but in the actual settings) to display all folders?

And this is POP, not IMAP, huh? WEIRD!

tobytl

Reaction score
It might be an issue with your email provider. Some POP3 implementations do not support syncing of those folders at all. Technically, it's not even a part of the POP3 spec, it's an extension to allow it at all.

What service are you coming from?

And, an out of the blue question, do you mean the folders you see in outlook for instance? As those folders don't necessarily exist on the server. They are part of outlook.

pool_shark

Reaction score
That's strange. You have the setting (not in the folder view, but in the actual settings) to display all folders?

And this is POP, not IMAP, huh? WEIRD!

Yep, in settings for the account, it is set to display all folders. It's roadrunner, they don't have IMAP it's definitely pop3, the server is pop-server.roadrunner.com.

pool_shark

Reaction score
It might be an issue with your email provider. Some POP3 implementations do not support syncing of those folders at all. Technically, it's not even a part of the POP3 spec, it's an extension to allow it at all.

And, an out of the blue question, do you mean the folders you see in outlook for instance? As those folders don't necessarily exist on the server. They are part of outlook.

I'm thinking it may be roadrunner not allowing it, I know it isn't part of pop3.
I don't really use outlook, but what mail service doesn't have sent and draft? I can't see those. It doesn't even have to sync them, but I'd like to see them and be able to move emails to other folders. Maildroid can do it but maildroid can't even sort by date.

tobytl

Reaction score

I'm thinking it may be roadrunner not allowing it, I know it isn't part of pop3.
I don't really use outlook, but what mail service doesn't have sent and draft? I can't see those. It doesn't even have to sync them, but I'd like to see them and be able to move emails to other folders. Maildroid can do it but maildroid can't even sort by date.

It's not so much that it doesn't exist on the server (I misspoke) it's that it may not be included in the pop3 sync. The client should create these locally though. It appears in your case that MailDroid is doing this correctly, and K9 is not. K9 may be seeing no drafts/sent folder coming from your server and just not creating them. This is incorrect behavior from my perspective, I'll set up an email address from my isp to test out some things and submit a bug/patch to them if it's not working as it should. I'll check back in later.

pool_shark

Reaction score

It's not so much that it doesn't exist on the server (I misspoke) it's that it may not be included in the pop3 sync. The client should create these locally though. It appears in your case that MailDroid is doing this correctly, and K9 is not. K9 may be seeing no drafts/sent folder coming from your server and just not creating them. This is incorrect behavior from my perspective, I'll set up an email address from my isp to test out some things and submit a bug/patch to them if it's not working as it should. I'll check back in later.

I understood what you meant. I know that syncing multiple folders is not part of the pop3 protocol.

I appreciate your help.