Can email be sorted?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. I didn't know you were trying to sync extra folders with the server. I thought you meant that the folders weren't appearing locally. Like, if you delete an email, it just disappears and there is no Trash folder in K9. If so, that is very weird. Maybe uninstall K9 and try again.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I'm confused. I didn't know you were trying to sync extra folders with the server. I thought you meant that the folders weren't appearing locally. Like, if you delete an email, it just disappears and there is no Trash folder in K9. If so, that is very weird. Maybe uninstall K9 and try again.

No, as stated, I don't see any folders other than the inbox and trash within K9. I don't see a sent folder, I don't see a drafts folder. I don't care if the folders sync or not, but I'd like to have them within the app, they aren't there.

I've never seen an email app without a sent and drafts folder.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I figured it out. I had an idea and tried it.

I sent an email from within K9, the sent and outbox folders appeared. I saved one as draft, the draft folder appeared.

I just had to use the function to make their folders appear.

tobytl

Reaction score

I sent an email from within K9, the sent and outbox folders appeared. I saved one as draft, the draft folder appeared.

LOL, just did that too, came here to say just that. Glad you got it, just seems weird to me that K9 waits to create them. As a side note, my ISP actually syncs them over POP (no IMAP) when you select sync all folders, had to create a free email address to test with (gawab.com), it has the same behavior you described.

pool_shark

Reaction score

LOL, just did that too, came here to say just that. Glad you got it, just seems weird to me that K9 waits to create them. As a side note, my ISP actually syncs them over POP (no IMAP) when you select sync all folders, had to create a free email address to test with (gawab.com), it has the same behavior you described.

It is weird, you would think it would create the folders by default. Unfortunately I have to stick with the gmail app though. I forward emails from work and I like to keep them in a [work] folder. Since I can create those in gmail and not K9, gmail suits my needs better. I just wish I could tell gmail to fetch the emails from the device instead of having to go to th website.
I know I can sync the folders from the phone, but I can't tell it to fetch the email from roadrunner. I have to rely on the polling algorithm that gmail uses.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
K9 can be quirky. I think the reason it didn't create the folders might have to do with K9's ability to change the names of folders when using IMAP. For example, if your sent folder is called "Sent mail" like it is with Google, you can map "Sent" to "Sent mail". Only after you set everything up and sync mail are the folders created.

In K9 you can view an integrated inbox or an inbox for each account. If using the integrated inbox, each account can be color coded. Otherwise, you can view each mailbox separately. Wouldn't either of these approaches be OK to separate your work mail?

A final thought: instead of relying on google to poll your external account, perhaps you can forward your mail to google. Some mail servers allow this.

pool_shark

Reaction score
K9 can be quirky. I think the reason it didn't create the folders might have to do with K9's ability to change the names of folders when using IMAP. For example, if your sent folder is called "Sent mail" like it is with Google, you can map "Sent" to "Sent mail". Only after you set everything up and sync mail are the folders created.

In K9 you can view an integrated inbox or an inbox for each account. If using the integrated inbox, each account can be color coded. Otherwise, you can view each mailbox separately. Wouldn't either of these approaches be OK to separate your work mail?

A final thought: instead of relying on google to poll your external account, perhaps you can forward your mail to google. Some mail servers allow this.

My "work" email as I referred to it isn't a separate account. I forward certain emails from work to my home account to save them, our emails at work roll off after a select number of days, and I like to have them on my phone since I go between my desk and my house and the data center or other office locations.
I like to keep them separated in a folder that I named "work".

I don't think forwarding the mail to google would be an option for my purpose. I want to be able to create and reply to my roadrunner emails via gmail as my roadrunner account. So having gmail retrieve my roadrunner emails seems to provide the better option, at least until Maildroid allows sorting.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think forwarding the mail to google would be an option for my purpose. I want to be able to create and reply to my roadrunner emails via gmail as my roadrunner account. So having gmail retrieve my roadrunner emails seems to provide the better option, at least until Maildroid allows sorting.

I don't understand the difference. How does forwarding to gmail change anything? I would think that would just make it get to you faster than having google check your other account.

pool_shark

Reaction score

I don't understand the difference. How does forwarding to gmail change anything? I would think that would just make it get to you faster than having google check your other account.

Forwarding the mail to gmail would be like forwarding it to you. You could reply to it but it wouldn't be coming from my email account it would be coming from yours, unless I'm missing something.
Having gmail retrieve it gives me the option to reply as my roadrunner account from my gmail account.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh, OK, I see. I should have used the term "redirect" instead of "forward". I'm not sure what's possible on your mail server. Doesn't your mail server redirect?

Anyway, do you know about K9's "Identities" feature? If you set up different From addresses at gmail.com, you can also set them up in K9. Then, if you use K9 to check gmail you can choose any of those identities and send it via gmail.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Oh, OK, I see. I should have used the term "redirect" instead of "forward". I'm not sure what's possible on your mail server. Doesn't your mail server redirect?

Anyway, do you know about K9's "Identities" feature? If you set up different From addresses at gmail.com, you can also set them up in K9. Then, if you use K9 to check gmail you can choose any of those identities and send it via gmail.

Even if I were to do the redirect, that doesn't remove the emails from the roadrunner server. I would still have to go there and delete emails, I don't want to do that. Having gmail retrieve the email from roadrunner, also lets me remove them from roadrunner after retrieval.

As far as K9's "Identities" that's making 3 hops (roadrunner, to gmail, to K9). I'm only using gmail because it has the ability to have my other folders like (work, save).
If K9 would allow me to create other folders I could just use that and bypass gmail.

MichelleKdroid2

Reaction score
I am having the exact same situation. My first email account has drafts box among others, my second account only has inbox and trash. Anyone know how to get this account to also have drafts box so I can save emails? Looks like I will have to forward any of the ones I would like to save to the first account...ugh.