Built in CPU Control

Fultz33

Reaction score
The new feature of Sapphire that controls the CPU speed seems very nice. I have a few questions though. 1) Do I need to reboot each time I change the speed? For example, if I change it from 1000 to 800 in order to save battery later on in the day, do I need to reboot for the change to take effect? 2) How does the ondemand governor compare to the one in SetCPU as far as scaling speed and battery life? Lastly, 3)How does the powersave governor compare to the ondemand governor? Will the powersave be a little laggy? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Used to be a BuglessBeast guy, but this ROM is incredibly stable, sleek, and just damn works. Good job.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The new feature of Sapphire that controls the CPU speed seems very nice. I have a few questions though. 1) Do I need to reboot each time I change the speed? For example, if I change it from 1000 to 800 in order to save battery later on in the day, do I need to reboot for the change to take effect? 2) How does the ondemand governor compare to the one in SetCPU as far as scaling speed and battery life? Lastly, 3)How does the powersave governor compare to the ondemand governor? Will the powersave be a little laggy? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Used to be a BuglessBeast guy, but this ROM is incredibly stable, sleek, and just damn works. Good job.

Meh, I'll let the one who made the ROM answer :p

Last edited:

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

It is important to note that the CPU Frequency settings in GEM Settings were not added to be a replacement for SetCPU. They were simply added because, if i'm going to be setting CPU Frequency settings at boot, i felt i should provide a way for people to modify how those settings are being applied.

That being said.

1.) Yes, you must reboot for the settings to take effect. They will not apply in real-time. The settings that are being modified are simply what the boot script will read that auto-sets the frequency scaler at boot time, therefore until that script gets ran again (on reboot), it will do nothing.

2.) The ondemand and powersave governors are the exact same as in SetCPU. This brings up an interesting point that I will clarify below.

CPU Frequency scaling is something that is built into the kernel. It is not something that I nor SetCPU have implemented. All that I or SetCPU do is read settings from the kernel to determine what governors/speeds are available, and then set them according to what the user wants. The kernel itself actually implements those governors and handles the ramping up of speeds and whatnot.

I want to make it clear that these settings are in no way a replacement for the value that SetCPU provides. For one, SetCPU does profiles, which are incredibly useful in making sure your phone doesn't overheat under pressure. Let's not forget we are overclocking, and even though things seem stable, you are still running your CPU at a speed above what it was intended to run at.

I hope that sheds some light on this subject :)

OP
Fultz33

Fultz33

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Plan on getting rid of setcpu now although it is a great app.

great job on the explanation + development. Plan on sticking to your roms well... forever lol

Last edited:

BigMace23

Reaction score
so since this isn't a setcpu replacement, should we keep it enabled while using setcpu? Reading your explanation makes me think t'll be fine but I just wanna make sure haha

trmiv

Reaction score
so since this isn't a setcpu replacement, should we keep it enabled while using setcpu? Reading your explanation makes me think t'll be fine but I just wanna make sure haha

Exactly what I was going to ask.

bcserl

Reaction score
It seems that Setcpu doesn't apply itself on bootup anymore after I flashed to 1.0. Meaning I have to start it manually after a reboot to get it to work.

*Edit Update* I uninstalled setcpu and reinstalled it and now it is running after a reboot. Just lost my profiles. Gonna have to see if they are in a backup somewhere.

Last edited:

trmiv

Reaction score
It seems that Setcpu doesn't apply itself on bootup anymore after I flashed to 1.0. Meaning I have to start it manually after a reboot to get it to work.

*Edit Update* I uninstalled setcpu and reinstalled it and now it is running after a reboot. Just lost my profiles. Gonna have to see if they are in a backup somewhere.

I have this same issue but reinstalling it didn't work. I also tried rolling back to the previous Superuser, which was supposed to fix some issues, but I still have this. I have to actually open Setcpu after a reboot to get it to set any of the profiles.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I had to disable the cpu settings in gem as it caused reboots with 3 different kernels.
I attribute this to the every phone different scenario.
using set cpu with the stock kernel seems to be working very well so far.

roll3r

Reaction score

I have this same issue but reinstalling it didn't work. I also tried rolling back to the previous Superuser, which was supposed to fix some issues, but I still have this. I have to actually open Setcpu after a reboot to get it to set any of the profiles.

Same here. SetCPU seemed to work the first time after downgrading to SuperUser 2.1, but has since stopped. If I open it and move the slider, it starts working. No wonder my phone's seemed so slow after upgrading from .95!

FYI, I've submitted this to Bugzilla.

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
I took off setcpu and going let yet the built in cpu control to take over. Ill share my findings later today

roll3r

Reaction score
I downgraded SetCPU to version 2.0.0c and everything seems to be working.

captdroid

Reaction score
No problems here with setCPU overclock settings on boot with Sapphire 1.0. Running setCPU 2.02 and Superuser 2.2-ef (notifications turned off), Gem CPU frequency control disabled.

In Sapphire 0.8.4 running setCPU 2.01 and Superuser 2.2-ef I had problems with setCPU overclock settings on boot until downgrading to Superuser 2.1.

setCPU 2.02 is updated to correct the problem with Superuser 2.2.

setCPU changelog here.

roll3r

Reaction score
No problems here with setCPU overclock settings on boot with Sapphire 1.0. Running setCPU 2.02 and Superuser 2.2-ef (notifications turned off), Gem CPU frequency control disabled.

In Sapphire 0.8.4 running setCPU 2.01 and Superuser 2.2-ef I had problems with setCPU overclock settings on boot until downgrading to Superuser 2.1.

setCPU changelog here.

Yeah, that was my same setup originally. It may just be a combination of apps/kernel/etc. Don't have the energy to TS it any further now that SetCPU 2.0 seems to be working fine.

captdroid

Reaction score

setCPU changelog here.

Yeah, that was my same setup originally. It may just be a combination of apps/kernel/etc. Don't have the energy to TS it any further now that SetCPU 2.0 seems to be working fine.

FYI I am running the default Sapphire 1000LV (125) kernel by CVPCS