Browser crash

_Ash_

Reaction score
i just got my driod x yesterday and want to love it...but my browser also crashes. so far my workaround is starting on any page expect google.com, go figure? google or maybe igoogle seems to crash the browser. anyone have ideas why or a fix?

I noticed the same thing. If I open the browser and select a bookmark that navigates away from Google.com, it's fine. The issue that I'm experiencing does seem to relate to Google.com in particular. I would love a fix for this...

I side-stepped the issue by downloading Opera for the Droid, but I prefer the stock browser.

dan5jr

Reaction score
i just got my driod x yesterday and want to love it...but my browser also crashes. so far my workaround is starting on any page expect google.com, go figure? google or maybe igoogle seems to crash the browser. anyone have ideas why or a fix?

I noticed the same thing. If I open the browser and select a bookmark that navigates away from Google.com, it's fine. The issue that I'm experiencing does seem to relate to Google.com in particular. I would love a fix for this...

I side-stepped the issue by downloading Opera for the Droid, but I prefer the stock browser.

I've been noticing the exact same thing lately, my browser just frequently closes for no apparent reason - not even a force close. It does seem to happen more often during google searches, but also just on random pages too. I haven't seen many posts about it so I guess it's not that common, but it's really annoying. I guess I should try some other browsers out, but I've always been partial to the stock one so I'd rather try to fix the issue. Any other suggestions?

Btw, I'm currently running UD 8.0 with Chevy's 1 Ghz LV kernel. I've used the same kernel for a long time but just switched over to the ROM not long ago. Maybe that's the cause of the problem? Anyone else running this ROM who's getting this problem? I really like the ROM so if I can't fix it, I guess I'll have to find a new browser till the next version comes out (hopefully soon!).

kennyc

Reaction score
Anybody else have problems with the web browser crashing? At least that's what I assume is happening. It's happened twice so far (had the Droid for 4 or 5 days). I'll switch back to the browser after being in other apps or the phone being idle for a while, and the screen will go momentarily blank, and the home page will reload, and any pages I had open will be gone.

My Windows Media Center does that!!

Haven't had it happen with my droid browser though.

d7guitar

Reaction score
All browsers crash

I have had this problem with the stock browser for 3 months now. A specific website causes this (my work website). But it can be ANY website that causes the crash, but one pre-requisite seems to be that its the one i visit most frequently. Several times in a day. Maybe 50 or more times. I can navigate to ANY other URL, but not the one that causes the crash.

Have tried returning the phone to Verizon where they did a complete reset of the phone. After initial power on from reset, went to browser and it crashed again. Then spoke to Tech (level 2) at Verizon who couldn't figure it out either.

I've tried about everything you can think of to clear this... reset phone, cache, browser, remove apps, reboot phone, remove battery, and tens of suggestions from other users.

I have Fennec, Dolphin, and Opera installed on phone too.They work when the stock browser isn't but after a period of use, they crash too!!!!!!! Same way as the stock browser, just goes back to the home screen when trying to access a specific web site.

Even more wierd is that the browsers will just start functioning again , for NO REASON, no reboot, no cache clear, nothing. Just starts working. All browsers react the same way.
Other users at my work experience the same problem too.
Very frustrating.
:icon_eek:

wtfmate913

Reaction score
Anyone find a fix?! Had this problem on my droid and figured it was just because of android needing more memory. Tell that to my htc thunderbolt, which has 768mb RAM and is having the exact same problem
!

jonbolden

Reaction score
Disabling Settings

Hey all,

I don't know if this will work for everyone, of course, but I was able to prevent crashing by disabling "plug-ins" or rather setting it to "on demand" in the browser settings. That way the page still loads and I know it's only crashing because of a flash or plugin error.

Either way, I hope someone fixes this soon, it's rather annoying.

Just another reason to avoid Flash all together.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
Oddly enough, whenever I lock my launcher into memory by using the V6 Supercharger script (or even manually setting it), any browser I use exhibits this behavior. It will just close on me sporadically with no force close dialogs or anything. If I check logcat aftwrwards, there is nothing there to help troubleshoot, such as a OOM (out of memory) issue.

Setting my launcher back to 1 resolves this. I'm currently on GPA17, but this was happeninjg on GPA15-16. I haven't checked yet on 17 though.