Browser crash

MarkDF

Reaction score
Anybody else have problems with the web browser crashing? At least that's what I assume is happening. It's happened twice so far (had the Droid for 4 or 5 days). I'll switch back to the browser after being in other apps or the phone being idle for a while, and the screen will go momentarily blank, and the home page will reload, and any pages I had open will be gone.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have never had the browser do anything crazy. One thing you can try that others have, is get astro, and then go into the apps directory on the phone and reinstall the browser app. I do not know if this fully reinstalls the app, but i'd imagine it does. Unless anyone else has another idea.

Scottyrocket

Reaction score
I am new to Android (Blackberry Defector) and just purchased the Droid on Tuesday. I have noticed when I am using the browser on a site that requires a username and password, like my bank or netflix, that everytime I enter the username and then press "next" on the virtual keyboard to go to the password box the browser states "the browser has stopped working suddenly and needs to close." The phone then closes the browser and returns me to the home page. I have had this happen every time I try to log in on any site that requires it. If I try to log in the same sites and press the screen on the password box, the problem does not happen. I am not sure if it is a virtual keyboard issue or a browser issue, but either way it causes the browser to crash and close.

bsteph10

Reaction score
Browser closes suddenly

I've had a problem where my browser suddenly closes in the middle of loading a new page. It completely goes away and I'm back at the home screen, no force close message. When I restart the browser I'm back at my Home page. I have an app called "toggle settings" that does have an auto-kill list, but the browser is not included. Is there another service that the browser depends on that may be getting killed? Thanks.

Bryan

rage151

Reaction score
I've had a problem where my browser suddenly closes in the middle of loading a new page. It completely goes away and I'm back at the home screen, no force close message. When I restart the browser I'm back at my Home page. I have an app called "toggle settings" that does have an auto-kill list, but the browser is not included. Is there another service that the browser depends on that may be getting killed? Thanks.

Bryan
My browser abruptly closes while loading a page at least 3times a day. Anyone developments?

JCo352

Reaction score

Bryan
My browser abruptly closes while loading a page at least 3times a day. Anyone developments?

Mine did this for the first time yesterday and I thought it was maybe my fault. Then today it happened twice in a row, it's really annoying. What could cause this?

jalsk

Reaction score
I know this is kind of sidestepping the issue, but I use the Dolphin browser. I find that it works better for everything that I do, and as a plus it has multitouch and gesture support. It is also free in the market, so you might consider downloading and installing it to see if it works better than the built-in browser for you.

-jalsk

JCo352

Reaction score
I know this is kind of sidestepping the issue, but I use the Dolphin browser. I find that it works better for everything that I do, and as a plus it has multitouch and gesture support. It is also free in the market, so you might consider downloading and installing it to see if it works better than the built-in browser for you.

-jalsk

I've tried it, not a big fan. Iv'e tried all of the browsers, and I just keep going back to stock.

rpeters83

Reaction score
Does anyone have a fix for this? My browser does this as well. I'm using the latest OTA update for 2.1 that came on July 16th. However, I've had this issue since 2.1. Thanks.

tsutaoka

Reaction score
i just got my driod x yesterday and want to love it...but my browser also crashes. so far my workaround is starting on any page expect google.com, go figure? google or maybe igoogle seems to crash the browser. anyone have ideas why or a fix?

naknak95

Reaction score
I haven't heard anything about this problem before. Try using AdvancedTaskKiller and kill the Web Browser and try running the browser again.

tsutaoka

Reaction score
I haven't heard anything about this problem before. Try using AdvancedTaskKiller and kill the Web Browser and try running the browser again.

I do have ATK installed and just tried killing the browser and re-running. it crashed on the google.com page once again :( HELP!

rpeters83

Reaction score
I found that even after a reset of the browser, it still crashes after a dozen or so page loads. I noticed that when it does crash, and I launch the Internet browser, it seems to always take me back to the page where it crashed on a previous attempt (not always google, but also reddit.com and others). It became so annoying to the point where I switched to Opera. Works much better.

Last edited:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have every browser I can find installed. Why not?! Here's my current ranking:

1) Dolphin HD
2) Dolphin
3) xscope

And here's something that might help you:

Don't use a task killer.

Besides that, I think what's happening is that the OS is killing the browser process and it has to bootstrap itself when you switch back. I wonder if it is actually hitting the server or just grabbing a locally cached copy and rendering that. I'll try to figure that out.

Anway, I don't often see this issue. I use dolphin HD and I'm picky about what runs in the background. I pretty much use no widgets or other stuff that runs on boot. Theoretically, this leaves resources free so your browser can stay open.

Update: OK, just used dolphin hd to go to a page with a time stamp, went app drawer, opened google earth and played around a bit, went back to dolphin and the page was gone. After a couple seconds, the page came back...same old time stamp. This is good news as the page isn't reloading from the server, just re-rendering from local storage.