Broken phones missing after returned by FedEx

RickLaw

Reaction score
- Brought my broken phone to the Verizon store and was told to wait for the replacement unit where a return airbill will be supplied to ship back the bad phone.
- Got new phone. Shipped back the bad phone using the FedEx airbill which I dropped in a FedEx dropbox in front of my local post office.
- New phone also went bad (!). Back to the Verizon store. After they checked it I was instructed to wait till I got the replacement phone and return the bad one.
- Got the second replacement phone and shipped back the bad one using the airbill and dropping it in the FedEx box.
- Verizon is now charging me $1200 for two replacement phones. Seems that the returned phones never made it to the warehouse.
- They are investigating this further but there is no entries in FedEx's databse of the tracking numbers on the airbills and no phones in the warehouse with the particular serial ID's issued to me. What to do?

Who's responsibility is it if the phones never reached Verizon?
- FedEx, who puts these boxes on the street but does not have a way to verify a shipment was made or where it mihgt have been 'misplaced'?
- Verizon, who accepts this method for their phone returns (there was no warning not to use the dropbox option)?
- Me, who has trustingly used the drop boxes?

Is a broken Droid of any use to anyone that it may have been stolen?
They were sent back without a battery or back cover (as per Verizon instructions).

Anyone with a similar experience?

RickLaw

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
omg Rick that's horrible!! isn't there some sort of built-in insurance included with fed-ex?

:welcome: to the forum btw :D

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I hope you didn't ship the phone back in the original box. Hope it wasn't stolen...anyway you probably want to contact FedEx.

psrumors

Reaction score
Did you copy the airbill so YOU have the tracking numbers?

+1....if I am going to possibly be charged for something I always have the shipper either pick it up or drop it off at one of their locations to have it scanned in. Once it is scanned in it is no longer your responsibility.

If it was stolen out of the drop box and never "recieved" by FedEx you will be on the hook for it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that this can be handled fairly easy by just visiting FedEX website and see who signed for the phones. More then likely Verizon has screwed it up when they took the phones in. You still have your receipts for the tracking number right? What does the computer say?

I have a feeling this is going to work out OK. No way do I see you being charged for 2 or even 1 phone.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
This is another good reason to drop it off at a fedex location and have them scan the itme and print you a receipt.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ouch!

Dropoffs are ok, for when you might be returning something you know you might not get charged for if not returned, however I have returned sony laptop core parts and never had this occur. Likely because it was not a phone.

Definately +1, if for VZ ou take it in and have it scanned in your sight with receipt. Otherwise it looks like it is going to be between you and VZ.

There's no control over a dropbox.

psrumors

Reaction score
It seems to me that this can be handled fairly easy by just visiting FedEX website and see who signed for the phones. More then likely Verizon has screwed it up when they took the phones in. You still have your receipts for the tracking number right? What does the computer say?

I have a feeling this is going to work out OK. No way do I see you being charged for 2 or even 1 phone.

IF he has the tracking numbers and IF they were ever "recieved" into FedEx's system from the drop box.

OP
R

RickLaw

Reaction score
Lost Droids

Thanks for the responses, I will try and explain the issue here.
- I have spoken to Verizon and they say they have checked the warehouse as well as FedEx for any signs of the phones. That included tracking numbers and whether any phones that matched the serial numbers of the phones I sent in.
- I have the actual air-bills that was used in the returns. FedEx does not show the tracking numbers in their database.
- I have escalated the issue to a Verizon supervisor who assured me that he will look at this closely and try and resolve it.
-The supervisor said that he will put a hold on the charges pending investigation results. That's where it stands for the moment.

As for responsibility there is a big question here. Some of the responses have indicated that FedEx is not responsible for the phones as they were placed in a drop box that is not manned or does not give a receipt and I should be forewarned that the responsibility is on me. I do not agree.

First, I was not forewarned. In any way, that FedEx's drop boxes ARE NOT SECURE AND SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR SENDING ANYTHING IMPORTANT OR VALUABLE. (So what good are they you ask?)

- If FedEx AND Verizon are agreeable to use this method of return then they should be responsible for it's integrity. Not the public.
- It is not the public's job to insure the that their system works properly. After all FedEx is getting paid for this service and THEY are offering this convenience. If there is a problem with security OR if they disclaim any responsibility for items lost then there should be a clear posting of this on the air-bills and on the drop boxes. In their Media ads as well for that matter. This method of shipping should be used only in situations that involve low priority and low value items. (Might as well put it in the US Post Office box!)
- Verizon does not mention any caveats or disclaimers either. It is Verizon that sent out the air-bills for the Droid returns and it is Verizon that refused to accept the Droids when they were returned to the Verizon store with the Verizon employee who could have handled the returns.
- Verizon can not be allowed to profit by using faulty business methods and then ask the public to bail them out when things go wrong. i.e. Pay for them. This is a moral hazard.
- PUT A WARNING ON THE LABEL that anything over X dollars will not be insured if lost when put in a street based unmanned and unmonitored drop box.

My reason for posting this was to find out if this has happened to anyone else? I agree completely with some of the replies above that warn against using FedEx drop boxes when sending anything important or valuable.

Take names AND employee ID numbers as well as date/time, store location, etc. if they are not already on a receipt. If you have a working phone, take pictures as well. <grin>

What would be so hard these days to have ID chips in the air-bill and a scanner at the drop box (wireless/solar/whatever? FedEx registered Easy Pass cards?) that scans the bill when placed in the box? Sure, someone could place a brick in the envelope but does the store clerk open and check contents? This would at least be secure par with the storefront shipper. A LED display can respond to the drops success as well as a printed tape receipt to keep a record and proof of the event. Like gas pump or ATM technology. Back this up with a camera monitor. If this is too much then at least WARN THE PUBLIC of the dangers, liability and lack of security.

As for Verizon, stop allowing this form of return immediately OR accept the responsibility if the system fails your users! If you are questioning the veracity of the public that uses your business then do a background check on them before you issue a contract. They in effect already do that by virtue of credit and whatever else they use to write the contract.

OK, I am getting a little missed-off at this for now so I will wait and see what Verizon has come up with if anything.

P.S. I have so far 4 postings from the internet stating similar losses by FedEx. A Verizon support person stated that there were no other such loss occurrences before mine. One of the postings were ON VERIZON'S WEBSITE!
Re: phone returned but lost in system - Verizon | Forums and Blogs - Verizon Community

An iPhone was found a month later and credited back to the user by his company (Apple). Hope my phones are "found".

If anyone has had a similar experience please let me know.

Please send any responses to: [email protected]

Thank you.

bishoy

Reaction score
Verizon tried that with me twice. The first time was three+ years ago when i sent in my enV. I was told by the customer service representative that the phone was never found and they could not track the serial number. But somehow, miraculously I had a $400 credit on my next bill, so i'm not too sure what happened there. Ever since then I have ALWAYS dropped it off at a FedEx office and asked them to print a receipt for me.

The second time they did this with me is a few months ago when I had the Touch Pro 2. However, I had the FedEx receipt and all I had to do was take it to the nearest Verizon Wireless store and they resolved the charges. I'm not sure if they "found" the phone or held FedEx responsible or found who it was delivered to or whatever, but having the receipt always avoids this problem. As long as the drop off receipt is dated within ten days of receiving it, you have done your part and can prove it to them. Who is held responsible from there doesn't matter, as long as its not you.

sos567656765

Reaction score
Sorry man I know this isn't what you want to hear, but without proof that you put the phones in the fedex box you will be sol. Its just the way the system works. Its almost like the power company marking you account paid just because you SAY you sent in the payment.

Now on the other hand verizon has been known to be helpful/forgiving in these situations, just not sure how much so with 2 missing phones...

Best of luck to you.

littlerick

Reaction score
for all verizon knows you kept the old phones (i'm sure you didnt but someone somewhere has but then says hey i put it in a dropbox). i think you would be liable for the phones since you dropped them off (no signature or proof you dropped them off)

cappa86

Reaction score
sorry to here about the phones, i have worked for verizon for 2 years in and out of call centers/stores, when you ship a CLNR(certified like new replacement) back verizon holds the sender responsible for the device being shipped back if the device is not recieved in 90 days you will be responsible for full retaild price for the devices and they cannot be returned at that point, with that being said call verizon if you havnt already and give them the return tracking numbers, talk to financial services so your service can be held not many people can pay a 1200+$ bill