Bricked. (SBF after .629 update, bootloader, etc)

jportmusic

Reaction score
Hey all, greetings. Long time lurker, first time poster. Love the forums.

Today, I did these things:

• Started the day enjoying rooted .608 Gingerbread on my D2G
  • Saw update to .629, allowed it to download but held off on install
  • Thought "hey, if I lose root, I'll just SBF back" (error in judgment here)
  • Installed .629
  • Noticed root was lost
  • Got out various Linux SBF paraphernalia, USB cable, opened refreshing can of soda
  • Installed Gingerbread SBF
  • Discovered here what a bricked D2G looks like
  • Stumped, so I tried Froyo SBF
  • Bootloader still stared back at me
  • After all these steps leading to inadvertently putting my D2G in a coma, I _THEN_ did further research (haha!)

So yeah, I'm stuck at the bootloader, with the MEM_MAP Blank / Service Req'd messages and everything.

From what I've read, this thing is a paperweight until a .629 SBF for D2G is developed, correct?

Last edited:

DaGreen1

Reaction score
Apparently so. However, others might have it released soon enough. The Droid X one was released rather quickly.

I did find the factory recovery image works again for me at least. Press X to load it up, then instead of the magnifying glass, press the volume up and volume down buttons together. Might wanna keep it in mind if your phone bootloops after SBF'ing (assuming you get to do that.)

OP
jportmusic

jportmusic

Reaction score
Thanks. I tried the "X" to get to the triangle screen, the phone just powers straight up to bootloader:

Bootloader
D0.11
Err:A5,70,70,00,1F

MEM_MAP Blank
Service Req'd
Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

Looks like I'll have to put it in carbonite and enjoy my friend's spare BlackBerry Tour for a lil while... [sigh]

The price of a love affair with tinkering and hacking is that I stub my toe sometimes.

Last edited:

Chelovek

Reaction score
Mine tried to install the upgrade but failed. Can I delete the downloaded update file and tell VZW to buzz off?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

ccommcomm

Reaction score
Mine tried to install the upgrade but failed. Can I delete the downloaded update file and tell VZW to buzz off?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Yes, You can install a program that will allow you to freeze the update. I used mybackup pro and froze the updater and the ugrader and haven't had any issues since.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
titanium backup, rom toolbox, among others

Sent from my DROID 2G w/4.5.608 using Droid Forum app

Chelovek

Reaction score
Well done!

Thanks to ccommcom and themib. dancedroid I upgraded my Titanium Backup to pro (I used to do file name changes, but tired of the routine) and froze them. Any common lists of VZW/Moto bloatware and other nasties I should freeze?

l337f00l

Reaction score
to the OP jportmusic I have the same problem you have. Just to let you know I called the Tech Service line for Verizon today and just explained to them that their update bricked my phone and the person I talked to was kind enough to ship me a new Droid 2 Global, I could've gotten an upgrade early but I figured I would take the free phone and save my upgrade which is due in a few months. I too luckily enough had a Blackberry Bold sitting around.

OP
jportmusic

jportmusic

Reaction score
to the OP jportmusic I have the same problem you have. Just to let you know I called the Tech Service line for Verizon today and just explained to them that their update bricked my phone and the person I talked to was kind enough to ship me a new Droid 2 Global, I could've gotten an upgrade early but I figured I would take the free phone and save my upgrade which is due in a few months. I too luckily enough had a Blackberry Bold sitting around.

Thanks for this tip. I called Verizon; Person A put me through to tech support to talk to Person B. Person B was quite knowledgeable and hip to this whole problem. He asked me if I had rooted the phone. I decided to tell the truth, and of course he declined my request for an outright replacement and suggested I buy a new phone.

I hung up kind of sad that the phone was dead, and it was my fault basically for carelessly hacking it without doing research - but happy that I hadn't lied by playing dumb or some other thing. Three minutes later, Person A called me back, said she and her supervisor had reviewed the case notes, and they decided to send me a free replacement Droid 2 Global out of gratitude for my bringing my wife over from AT&T. Once again, honesty had not failed me, and I'm grateful. God is so good to me.

I must say, after all that, I hope that the new phone DOES NOT have 629 on it so I can freeze the update as you guys have all so nicely explained how to do!

Thanks everyone so much for your inputs.

OP
jportmusic

jportmusic

Reaction score

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
does freezing a file cause it to also be hidden from view in directory listings?
It will disappear from your app drawer

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
He asked me if I had rooted the phone. I decided to tell the truth, and of course he declined my request for an outright replacement...they decided to send me a free replacement Droid 2 Global
good for you, sometimes the good guys do win
and this update, is causing some real problems

Last edited:
OP
jportmusic

jportmusic

Reaction score
good for you, sometimes the good guys do win
and this update, is causing some real problems

I agree. I had a bad taste in my mouth when I saw it, and kept pressing "Later" on the update; I felt kind of railroaded into it and didn't think to read about freezing it... anyway, moot point, warranty replacement is on the way.

Yes, VZW did mention they're getting a number of brick calls. Motorola releases these updates for them - I can see the logic behind other posters' allegations that this wave of bricked phones only stands to help Motorola's sales and may likely have been an intentional twist in the update. Why modify the bootloader to disallow downgrades? To what purpose?

In other news, I wonder what the developing scene is with the Google purchase of Motorola's handset business.

OP
jportmusic

jportmusic

Reaction score
Speaking of that business move, with Google's purchase of Motorola's handset manufacturing division, Google is running the show. It seems, to me, they now have the say-so to enforce Android security patches to the device firmware level... so, now we have strangely picky bootloaders. Makes sense to me.