Brand new Droid X, experiencing serious lag and slowness.

djeoung1

Reaction score
Hi everyone.. So I bought my first smartphone, a Droid X, last Saturday [1/15] and I've noticed some significant lag and slowdown everywhere. For example, unlocking my phone is a huge hassle since the little bar isn't moving smoothly. It just lags its way and slowly unlocks. When I slide my finger across the touchscreen to switch to another page from the homepage, it takes a lot of effort to get there because of lag. It goes halfway to the next page, then slides right back to the first.

Also, when I text or IM people, it just takes a long time because of lag. I press a letter, and nothing registers. I press it again, nothing. I wait 10 seconds, and suddenly, I'm left with "Hhhheeellllooooo" instead of "Hello".

But this isn't all the time either. Sometimes, my new Droid X works like a dream. Texting is easy and I only have to lightly tap the letter to get it to come out (instead of pressing down on it), sliding across screens is easy, etc. It's just sometimes. Not sure what's causing it.

Since Saturday, I've only downloaded two apps: Yahoo Messenger and AIM. Nothing else. Other than Yahoo Messenger and AIM, the only things that are on my Droid X are what came with it.

Can I get any help? :[

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Welcome to the forum.

Do you have a task killer installed on your phone??? If so get rid of it. They are not needed and tend to cause more issues than they are worth.

Did you notice the lag before you installed AIM and Yahoo Messenger??? I have Yahoo Messenger and have no issues so I am wondering if there is something running in the background of AIM that could be causing your problems. If you wanted you could try to uninstall AIM and see if the lag continues. If not then there was the issue, if so then we have to look elsewhere.

OP
D

djeoung1

Reaction score
I'm not sure what a task killer is, but apart from AIM and YIM, I didn't manually install anything from the Android market whatsoever.

I'm not 100% sure if AIM and YIM are the culprits since I installed both of them immediately after I got my phone, haha. However, when I restart my Droid X and AIM and YIM are off, my phone seems somewhat fine for the most part. I haven't played around enough with them off. I'll try that.

pyroboy

Reaction score
I had the same problem , it was yahoo messenger being the culprit on my phone.
There are alternatives on the market i believe.

OP
D

djeoung1

Reaction score
Thank you so much, Pyro! I uninstalled Yahoo Instant Messenger and everything became a billion times faster and smoother!