Bootanimation.zip

Stefan82

Reaction score
Anyone have any good ideas on how to change the boot animation on my phone? I have everything the bootanimation.zip and an .ogg file when I tried to replace my file it now is a blank screen at boot. If there is another post please link me to it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL (rooted) using DroidForums

TheIceCable

Reaction score
I had similar issues when changing mine because I didn't fix the permissions of the new zip I put in. Once I changed them everything was peachy.

This message was brought to you by a rooted, supercharged, simply stunning OG Droid; and by viewers like you.

OP
S

Stefan82

Reaction score
What permissions did you change? Oh I might add I am on GB.

TheIceCable

Reaction score
The ones for the new bootanimation.zip I used root explorer to do it. I think they needed to rw-r--r-- and the boot I installed were rwxrw-rw-. I'm on a d1 so it may be different for you I just know it worked for me.

This message was brought to you by a rooted, supercharged, simply stunning OG Droid; and by viewers like you.

OP
S

Stefan82

Reaction score
No go. Still not doing anything. I have poor the original back and will compare the 2. Also can I use a boot sound?

tgambitg

Reaction score
No go. Still not doing anything. I have poor the original back and will compare the 2. Also can I use a boot sound?

If you want a boot animation install that is easy and works for a D2G, put the bootanimation.zip file in /data/local (this will override any boot animation in /system/media) and place the .ogg file (or .mp3, whichever file is listed in the desc.txt inside the bootanimation.zip) into /system/media/audio/notifications directory, using whatever method feels best to you. This method works every time without changing permissions. Also, you can push soundless boot animations on unrooted phones using ADB, by pushing them to the same directory.

This is for Windows installations:
Place the boot animation zip file into your platform-tools directory in your SDK installation.
Make sure nothing is selected in your explorer window of platform-tools. shift-right-click anywhere in the window, and select "Open command prompt here..."
Make sure your phone is hooked up to your computer via USB, and put it in mass-storage mode.
Type "ADB push nameofbootanimation.zip /data/local/bootanimation.zip"
To verify it was installed: "ADB shell bootanimation", to exit, hit ctrl-c.
Easy as pie. :)

OP
S

Stefan82

Reaction score
Well I can get the bootanimation.zip to work but no sound. Does the phone support this?

tgambitg

Reaction score
Well I can get the bootanimation.zip to work but no sound. Does the phone support this?

yeah, I can get mine to work with sound.... what's the file you're using? and can you pull the desc.txt for me and show me what it says?

OP
S

Stefan82

Reaction score
/data/local/bootanimation.zip
/system/media/audio/notifications/*.*

*.* = your audio file

It did work. I had a file named wrong.

Thanks tgambitg

tgambitg

Reaction score
/data/local/bootanimation.zip
/system/media/audio/notifications/*.*

*.* = your audio file

It did work. I had a file named wrong.

Cool glad to hear. I just don't like how everyone goes straight to modifying the default boot animation file when it is definitely not needed, just drop a file in /data/local and be done lol.