Blackberry May Soon Support Android Apps to Boost Sales

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
blackberry_android.jpg

Most of us have heard the old adage, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em," and that looks as if that is exactly what RIM is considering. According to a Bloomberg article, RIM is considering adding Android app support to their future QNX devices. The problem for RIM is that they have poor app support and very few apps available to them. RIM is considering the move in order to spur lagging sales of their Blackberry devices. According to the report, "The feature is said to go live in the QNX-powered PlayBook tablet by the end of the year..." Also, here's a quote from the Bloomberg article with some more details,
The Android app player in the new BlackBerrys is the same one that has been built for the PlayBook, and it is being tweaked to fit the different screen size and resolution of various BlackBerry models, one of the people said. RIM plans to have the Android player installed on the QNX phones when they go on sale and not in an upgrade, to avoid criticisms that software upgrades were too slow to come, the person said
This is interesting news for Blackberry users, as this easily signals the first step toward some type of Blackberry-Android hybrid device. Perhaps, by this time next year, RIM will be making Android phones along with HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc.

Source: Android.net via Engadget and Bloomberg
Picture Source: cnet.uk

broosewee

Reaction score
I'm guessing this is also great news for Android app developers. More potential end users is a good thing, doesn't matter which ecosystem they use it in. I hope anyway.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I'm guessing this is also great news for Android app developers. More potential end users is a good thing, doesn't matter which ecosystem they use it in. I hope anyway.

I agree with the fact it should be great for Android. However I don't see it saving them. I'd say this is clearly their last ditch effort not to go under; but as we learned watching Titanic, you can keep making your way to the top, but eventually the entire ship is going to sink...and then uh...you'll freeze to death??