Android is killing Blackberry on Verizon

J

JohnDroid

I used to have a Blackberry and loved it. I've owned 5 in my lifetime, and I've been a Verizon customer since I had a cell phone at the age of 18. I like to think I'm kind of in tune with what's going on in the cell phone world and what works great on the Verizon network and where the action is.

I've known for a while that Blackberry had lost it's luster... you can just tell. There is less marketing material around the Verizon stores, less commercials on television... less buzz on the internet... just, well, less everything Blackberry/RIMM.

I didn't have an idea just how bad it was though. Android is killing Blackberry on Verizon's network.. literally. I can't imagine how bad it must be for Blackberry on other networks as well. As bad as it is now, it might get even worse. If Verizon has to advertise not only Android but the iPhone on their network where does that leave Blackberry in the next year? Two years out?

If you take a look at these sales numbers you'll see some really surprising numbers.

November sales show that over 80% were Android
46 percent of those sales were of the Droid variants

In December of 2008, RIM was touting the Blackberry as Verizon's best selling device. Now it seems to simply be an afterthought. Sales have declined by 45% year over year and the projection is that they will decline another 49% year over year in the 4th quarter.

The question is, will the newest version of the Blackberry OS save them? I think not. Will the playbook be a big sales drive? Again, too little too late.

So the question really becomes - what will happen to RIM? Are they destined to die a slow death? I can see no other future for them unless they get bought out and merged with another player to form a more powerful competitor.

What are your thoughts?

(Source: All Things D)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
CK says that traffic at Crackberry has dropped like crazy. While we are setting new records almost every day.

Big Ry

Reaction score
Those docs don't really show this. The graph just shows moto smart phones surpassing rim by a little...but what about ALL android devices. And let's not forget, there were non-android motos in not too distant past. The table is device sales, not smart phone...and there are lots of non-android motos, samsungs, htcs, etc out there. In fact, it looks like some sales have declined. Im not saying the thread title isn't true, I believe it to be true. But this is the wrong proof of the claim.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
J

JohnDroid

Those docs don't really show this. The graph just shows moto smart phones surpassing rim by a little...but what about ALL android devices. And let's not forget, there were non-android motos in not too distant past. The table is device sales, not smart phone...and there are lots of non-android motos, samsungs, htcs, etc out there. In fact, it looks like some sales have declined. Im not saying the thread title isn't true, I believe it to be true. But this is the wrong proof of the claim.

The first graph if you click on it shows specifically smart-phone sales only. RIMM used to be over 90% of the smart-phones sales on Verizon - now they represent less then 20%. And yes, the smart-phone sales in general have increased. So, they are seeing a declining percentage of an increasing market but the declines in sales share much more then the increase in the market in general.

Reminds me of this...

[video=youtube;MfL7STmWZ1c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfL7STmWZ1c[/video]

So the question is, what's next? Buggy whips? :)

Big Ry

Reaction score

The first graph if you click on it shows specifically smart-phone sales only. RIMM used to be over 90% of the smart-phones sales on Verizon - now they represent less then 20%. And yes, the smart-phone sales in general have increased. So, they are seeing a declining percentage of an increasing market but the declines in sales share much more then the increase in the market in general.

Reminds me of this...

[video=youtube;MfL7STmWZ1c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfL7STmWZ1c[/video]

So the question is, what's next? Buggy whips? :)
well, those graphs basically show the rapid decline of RIM. not really that android is responsible or anything. i think its kind of sad though. i had a blackberry bold, and i loved it. it wasnt as fun as my droid or droid2, but it was a solid phone made of very high quality components and it was capable of a lot. i think we should all just gang up on apple :icon_ banana:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Look at the nose dive RIM took starting in October. This was the time when Android on VZW started to peak and get A LOT of buzz. My join date here was in October, a month out from the launch of the Motorola Droid. My Blackberry Tour was only a few months old. I might also add there was a large influx of BB users migrating here as well. A ton of HARDCORE BB users, mostly Storm and Tour users, were going to be jumping ship.

After the Storm was launched and I saw what a huge fiasco that was I said that RIM/BB was going to go downhill because of their failure to innovate. I was called some choice names : ) for that. For a good 5 months after the Droid was launched, and I know the mods and admins can back me up on this, we had threads popping up left and right in the New Member intro's area. What were they saying? "Former Storm user here..............." : )

I blame Balsillie for whats happening. He said that software glitches out of the box on newly released phones could become commonplace and that is the "New Reality" Who remembers that asinine comment?

Well guess what Balsillie? RIM's market share is dwindling and will go the way of Palm. Thats the "New Reality"

Ck's rant is over : )

Don't get me started on RIM!! lol

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Yea....upset Google didnt get that.....and I hope RIM and TAT can make something happen....

As long as Android keeps getting better n better, like it is....this type of thing is gonna continue...

diverbelow

Reaction score
^Yea....upset Google didnt get that.....and I hope RIM and TAT can make something happen....

As long as Android keeps getting better n better, like it is....this type of thing is gonna continue...

What I am hoping, is that the developers would leave and folk off and develop something similar for android.

crackedvenom

Reaction score

What I am hoping, is that the developers would leave and folk off and develop something similar for android.

that would be great.

Big Ry

Reaction score

Look at the nose dive RIM took starting in October. This was the time when Android on VZW started to peak and get A LOT of buzz. My join date here was in October, a month out from the launch of the Motorola Droid. My Blackberry Tour was only a few months old. I might also add there was a large influx of BB users migrating here as well. A ton of HARDCORE BB users, mostly Storm and Tour users, were going to be jumping ship.

After the Storm was launched and I saw what a huge fiasco that was I said that RIM/BB was going to go downhill because of their failure to innovate. I was called some choice names : ) for that. For a good 5 months after the Droid was launched, and I know the mods and admins can back me up on this, we had threads popping up left and right in the New Member intro's area. What were they saying? "Former Storm user here..............." : )

I blame Balsillie for whats happening. He said that software glitches out of the box on newly released phones could become commonplace and that is the "New Reality" Who remembers that asinine comment?

Well guess what Balsillie? RIM's market share is dwindling and will go the way of Palm. Thats the "New Reality"

Ck's rant is over : )

Don't get me started on RIM!! lol
i wasnt saying that rims decline wasnt because of android...just that the graph/table in the OP dont explicitly show that. i feel like im arguing over spilled milk here lol ok im done, this is ridiculous. hooray for ANDROID!!! WOOOT!!! dancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroid