New Apple Injunction Causes Samsung to Pull Galaxy Tab 7.7 from IFA 2011 Show

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apple dominated the smartphone market, and lost it to Android.

It knows that the same thing will happen in the tablet market. They cannot stop it with products or marketing, it is what it is, they will lose here too.

So their only option is to either throw in the towel, or try to use the legal system to prevent the other pad makers from taking over the market. It will only slow things down, but every month they delay the inevitable is another $20M dollars in their pockets...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apple has enough money they should just let Samsung copy the iPad , Its not like anyone would ever think its an Apple device.
Really why would Apple need to protect themselves.
Apple should just watch everyone market devices that look like an iPad so that Android has a chance to catch up with a tablet.

Its just not fair that Samsung cant copy the iPad ....

Its great that Samsung could build off their Digital Photo frame from 2006. :icon_ banana:

Samsung digital picture frame stores pics, movies, music -- Engadget

Samsung's Digital Photo Frame -- Engadget

It was almost a tablet back then. All that was missing was a better mobile OS (dont know what it actually had on it, but it had to have something to be able to play music and show pics) and wireless connectivity.

Looks to me like that Digital Photo Frame evolved into the Galaxy S tablet...

I found this and wanna comment on something:

Samsung’s Digital Picture Frame was no iPad — RoughlyDrafted Magazine

If Apple had the Xoom in its sights for a lawsuit over how it looked....and the back of the Xoom looks NOTHING the iPad...why should how the back of the Digital Photo Frame look matters? According to Apple, the Xoom is copying the look of the iPad too.

Apple also suing Motorola in Europe over XOOM tablet design

One thing's for certain....whichever side you support.....there are ways to spin it for whoever you side with.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh.....since the sketches that worked in that lawsuit overseas for Apple were done in 2004...some folks are saying the Digital Photo Frame was a copy too. Sketches....actual products. Funny how when ppl show concepts that predate the iPhone and iPad...they are discredited by some because, and this what they say "Its not an actual product".

I guess when it suits their argument, concepts and sketches matter....like specs didnt matter...until the iPad 2 had real nice benchmarks...

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
One thing's for certain....whichever side you support.....there are ways to spin it for whoever you side with.

That's the thing, you really can, which makes this a never ending debate. Obviously I have my mind made up one way and the vast majority of people here have it another and they should, it is an android forum after all. With that being said I don't think it's as simple as "oh Apple is suing because the tablet is a rectangle". If you read into these lawsuits it generally goes deeper than that. With that being said, are they suing for some very petty things? Absolutely but if they feel their patents are being infringed upon than they have the right to go after whatever company they see fit. It's been stated a million times already but Apple was awarded many patents that clearly should be more on the public domain side of things. But is it Apple's fault for going after people because of these silly patents? Therein lies the true debate....

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apple dominated the smartphone market, and lost it to Android.

It knows that the same thing will happen in the tablet market. They cannot stop it with products or marketing, it is what it is, they will lose here too.

So their only option is to either throw in the towel, or try to use the legal system to prevent the other pad makers from taking over the market. It will only slow things down, but every month they delay the inevitable is another $20M dollars in their pockets...

Difference is people are actually buying android phones...no one is buying android tablets.