Bionic-Swype-Delete Word

jfazny

Reaction score
When I swype "g" "e" "t", I get presented with "Getty" every time. This is not in my personal dictionary or added words as I have checked. How can I get this to default to "get" and remove the repeating "Getty". Same thing happens for several other words. All of the instructions I have seen for deleting words say to select the word, then hit the swype key to be able to delete - all I get is the help/tutorial screen. Seems Swype help will cover everything EXCEPT deleting words.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just tap words like that instead of swype if it doesn't get it the first time. Does "get" show up in the list of alternatives?

mamawm

Reaction score
welcome to the forum! and yes swype has been kinda flaky for a while now. the same thing happens to me with get and also if i type will i get Will like someones name. i have yet to come up with a good solution other than proofreading texts before i send and using the word suggestions and choosing from there. it's still more accurate than when i use the regular keyboard.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
You don't have to use Swype; there are other keyboards to try. TouchPal, for example, is very much like Swype and may work better for you.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

mamawm

Reaction score
Thanks for the headsup, I'll check it out. It's been a few years since I looked at other keyboards.

mamawm

Reaction score
Well, I downloaded TouchPal and I Love It. So I went ahead and downloaded the tablet version for my Acer a100. Thanks so much for the tip.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad you like it. :)

While I really like Swype, I don't like the fact that you had be on a Beta team to use it on my OG Droid because they were hoping to get the into the "Pre-Installed" part of the smartphone market. Now we get Swype pre-installed on the Bionic, but they're never done an update. The only way is to root the phone, freeze the pre-installed version and install the Beta version. At least with TouchPal (and other keyboard) they're on the Play Store (hate that name) so you can get updates.

debrad0307

Reaction score
Sometimes I really hate my swype. So I went ahead and went back to the regular keyboard and omg I'm having more problems using this than I had with swype. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do at this point. I'm used to the keyboard on my iPad because its HUGE.

Sent from my iced Bionic

B

bens42608

Sometimes I really hate my swype. So I went ahead and went back to the regular keyboard and omg I'm having more problems using this than I had with swype. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do at this point. I'm used to the keyboard on my iPad because its HUGE.

Sent from my iced Bionic

I agree.at first I didn't miss it at all...but lately I really miss my d1 physical keyboard. Swype is always miss-correcting me. They effed up SO bad by putting that small non-removable battery in the D4.4g phones NEED an extended unless it's the Maxx

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

B

bens42608

If my bionic was the same size but could slide open with a keyboard-- now THAT would bethe phone 4muah

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jpw414

Reaction score
When I swype "g" "e" "t", I get presented with "Getty" every time. This is not in my personal dictionary or added words as I have checked. How can I get this to default to "get" and remove the repeating "Getty". Same thing happens for several other words. All of the instructions I have seen for deleting words say to select the word, then hit the swype key to be able to delete - all I get is the help/tutorial screen. Seems Swype help will cover everything EXCEPT deleting words.

God some people are so THICK. I'm getting this exact same error, I love Swype and am looking for an answer to this problem too because it is so obnoxious. Don't you just love how everyone has a stupid answer? "well you don't HAVE to use Swype" "just root your phone and install Linux" "install a completely different keyboard and lose your entire dictionary that you have been building for a year because of this one little problem" "just throw your phone in the garbage and get a new phone" people are just truly stupid.

I have this error and it drives me NUTS. WHY THE HELL WOULD I WANT THE WORD GETTY i don't even like typing that word because i don't want my phone learning it and thinking i want that word over "get". And because it is a built in word, you can't remove it from the dictionary. Really obnoxious, right? So here was my solution, and it works for the most part. Go to your custom dictionary, and add the word "Get" with a capital G. (it won't let you add "get" with a lower case g because it says it's already there.

After doing this, it defaults to that word instead of the stupid word (that which musn't be typed) and surprisingly, it defaults to that and actually uses it without capitalizing the word when unnecessary! Then i type the word get get get get get in a text over and over to increase it's popularity. I have no idea if the phone tracks how common it is, but as you can see, "get"is now part of my phones vocabulary on the first try.

Also, the word "after" was impossible to type with Swype. So i added After with a capital a but for some reason it still does not recognize it. That is so utterly frustrating that it makes me want to smash my phone. Those are the only two words it has trouble with, far from a reason to install a new keyboard and relearn how to type and get new settings etc. anyone familiar with Swype knows that it takes a long time to adjust it to your liking by removing tips, removing suggested words, adjusting error tolerance foot speed, etc. i could never go back to typing without Swype i see people clicking away one letter at a time and it seems so slow and ridiculous, what is the point of having a touch screen if you're not going to take advantage of it's capabilities? Anyways,i hope that helps.

I'm not only a client of get. I'm also the get president. Get get get get. Also, when typing get, be mindful to keep your Swype short and stop at the T. Aim for stopping at the R, so the little bit you over gets you right to it. Oh one more word is "you" it always puts in the word "toy". That is obnoxious. Blackberry had a great dictionary system, you could go in and swap words. "every time i type the word "ty" display "thank so you could custom words that way.

It was great for playing jokes on blackberry users. I would replace the word "thank" with the "f" word so when my girlfriend would type "thank you" it said "f you" and the funniest part of they wouldn't notice it for a couple of weeks" you could replace one word with an entire sentence' the other one i did was every time she typed the word "lunch" it would say have sex. So do you want to go to lunch? I'm goingI also to lunch. I went to lunch with anna. Etc. so hilarious. I also replaced "daughter" with "sex toy jail bait snot nosed brat daughter" and what's so funny is that when you're typing it it doesn't replace it until you hit the spacebar, so you don't notice anything of wrong because you've already looked at the word and everything OS fine so you move on. Good times. I hope that helped and provided some comic relief.

But we were on the subject, does anyone know of an Android dictionary app like that? Where you can replace words? Thanks