Bionic soon, early upgrade possible?

Pigbearman

Reaction score
Hello,

Like everybody else, I have been following the Droid Bionic for quite a while now. Also, like most of you with an OG Droid like me, the phone is starting to freeze/crash/do odd things, so getting a new phone is pretty high up on my list of things to do. The thing is, my NE2 discount is due up 10/25/11, and I would love to get the phone when it comes out. So is there a way to upgrade early anymore? My phone is just not cutting it and I don't exactly have the money to buy a full-priced bionic (probably $650+).

TLDR; Phone dying, need a new one, can I upgrade early? Even if it gets rid of my NE2 loyalty discount?

BlackTTC6

Reaction score
Call 611 and ask but they're probably going to give you a resounding no

dlo-htown

Reaction score
My upgrade discount became available the beginning of July, but I distinctly remember getting an email from Verizon at the beginning of June, saying that I could upgrade early. I don't know if I was receiving some sort of special treatment, but I was holding out for the Bionic (still am too! grrrr!!) so I didn't take advantage of the early upgrade/contract renewal offer.

I'd ask... what have you got to lose? what have they got to lose? You're going to upgrade eventually, so if I were them I'd prefer to take your money now rather than later. :)

OP
P

Pigbearman

Reaction score
Yeah. I figured it is damn near the upgrade time anyways so why wouldn't they want to grab my money?

malicious_a

Reaction score
I'm in the same darn boat. My upgrade is on the 12th, but I want the Bionic now.

I plan on giving my wife my newly replaced and well working D2. I'm just impatient :)

OP
P

Pigbearman

Reaction score
So my answer is pretty much "call, but they probably won't".

Which means stick with my dying OG Droid for another month and a half.... =(

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So my answer is pretty much "call, but they probably won't".

Which means stick with my dying OG Droid for another month and a half.... =(

I say you call and ask and when they say no, you say "Okay, well I guess I can handle two cell phones bills for a month while I switch carriers... what's the cheapest plan I can downgrade to for my last month?"

might not help, but it shouldn't hurt either...

Zregnier

Reaction score
You should be able to, but won't get your extra $50 off if you are primary account holder.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

psychicdroid

Reaction score
When my touchscreen died, they looked at my upgrade date of 10/18 and said they could offer me an early upgrade. This was on Aug 25th.

Reaction score
Two years ago, I walked into a verizon store, with my blackberry curve that was being held together with duct tape and a prayer, one week before my NE2 was going to kick in. No dice. I tried calling, but still no luck.

OP
P

Pigbearman

Reaction score
Ok, so it seems to be hit or miss. I guess there is no hurt in trying. What's the best way to go about it though? Should I go to a Verizon store first or just call?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
P

Pigbearman

Reaction score
Also, for anybody who has actually done this, how does it work? I mean, if I call and they can do it, do they just change my upgrade date to open?

PS: my phone crashed 2 times while trying to type this.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

aramos87

Reaction score
If they do let you your new upgrade date will be the day you upgrade + 2 yrs.. so yes it will change..

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums