VZW Early Upgrade?

Impsterette

Reaction score
I'm not up for an upgrade until December, and I'm aware they've done away with New Every Two.

However, when I logged into my account on the Verizon website today, I was greeted with this message:

droid.png

Has anyone else been offered a *very* early upgrade, and/or does anyone know what's up with the "loyalty discount"?

I did find a thread about the loyalty discount on these forums, but they assumed that it was just a "2 year contract price" thing, whereas I'm being offered the 2 year contract price *now*, and an additional "loyalty discount" in December.

Any clues?

Beka27

Reaction score
Hmmm. Just checked my VZW page and mine says "You are eligible to upgrade with an additional loyalty discount on 06/20/12. You may upgrade now at full price."

06/20/12 is my 20-month mark. Maybe they are introducing some kind of new promo pricing to make up for *ahem* kinda crappy stuff in recent months. Who knows? Are you planning on upgrading now?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Depending on when your contract actually began, it's probably your annual upgrade (which they've now gotten rid of for any new contracts). If you have a smartphone plan over a certain monthly amount, you're actually eligible to upgrade at new contract pricing after a year if you sign a new two year contract. You don't get the New Every 2 discount with an annual upgrade (which is also gone now), but you get the fully discounted contract price. Even though they've done away with this for any new contracts, if you started your contract before they made the change, you'll still have one annual upgrade left.

I loved annual upgrades as it was a great way to switch out phones at the discounted price on a yearly basis. I hate to see it go.

jayman350

Reaction score
I have that message as well. They give you a slight discount on the price of a new phone, but isn't as much as the discount given for new customers. If you wait until the date that is listed you can get the phone for the same price as if you were a new customer.

OP
I

Impsterette

Reaction score
I put a phone in the basket and it's letting me have the 2 year contract price

I'm assuming bsweetness is right, and am looking at the thunderbolt right now

jayman350

Reaction score
hmmm when I spoke with a VZW rep a couple months ago she gave me the explanation that I gave to you. She did mention that I would have to pay the activation fee and something else, maybe if you go to the full term they waive those extra fees?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
when did you sign up for your current contract? if it was before january of this year you will still get your new every two discount if you ride out the complete contract.

Right not if you were to upgrade you would get the two year price which is the same as if a new customer were to start or you waited the complete two years. The loyalty discount your seeing is your new every two.

Taco

Reaction score
My new every two is usable in december but upon logging in the other day I too was offered an early upgrade. My guess is they want to trick us remaining new every twoers into giving it up for a crappy discount.

No thanks ill wait.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

gsdreams

Reaction score
The annual upgrade is two year contract pricing. If you purchase online they waive the $20 fee for an annual upgrade. Phone and stores have to charge a $20 fee for an annual upgrade.

If you do an annual upgrade and resign your contract now you will lose your NE2 Discount. The NE2 goes away the minute you sign a new contract after January 16th.

VZW Never charges an activation fee for any phone upgrade or purchase, only for new lines of service.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The annual upgrade is two year contract pricing. If you purchase online they waive the $20 fee for an annual upgrade. Phone and stores have to charge a $20 fee for an annual upgrade.

If you do an annual upgrade and resign your contract now you will lose your NE2 Discount. The NE2 goes away the minute you sign a new contract after January 16th.

VZW Never charges an activation fee for any phone upgrade or purchase, only for new lines of service.

they also disposed of the annual upgrade too as of January 16. Now you must complete 20 of 24 months before you can upgrade ..... no exceptions.

gsdreams

Reaction score

they also disposed of the annual upgrade too as of January 16. Now you must complete 20 of 24 months before you can upgrade ..... no exceptions.

True, but they haven't announced when both the NE2 removal and annual removal will roll through and update the entire system. So, if someone gets it now they could still use it.