Bionic Camera

mikespe

Reaction score
I have to agree. I think the camera quality is appalling and am very unhappy with the pictures I have taken. It kind of boggles my mind that an 8mg camera can take such lousy pictures...

It's been said many times before but the megapixels has nothing to do with the quality...it's the lens quality. The iPhone 4 (not 4s) takes MUCH better pictures than the stock Bionic does & it only has I believe a 5 megapixel camera...but it has a much better lens installed...

916A2

Reaction score
Don't want to get technical, but it's not the quality of the lens that determines the quality of the pic, it's the quality of the sensor.

indee2025

Reaction score
Don't want to get technical, but it's not the quality of the lens that determines the quality of the pic, it's the quality of the sensor.

Yes! This could not be anymore true, it could be 12mp camera on board but if they don't make the sensor larger it really doesn't mean much.

In a smartphone most manufacturers have been packing in megapixels into the same size sensor; imagine this...

-Eating a pie that's 12 inches in diameter cut into 5 pieces (5MP) or eating the same size pie that's cut into 8 pieces (8MP) there really isn't a growth in pie because you cut it into more pieces so while it sounds like you're getting more pie at 8 pieces in truth it's the same old 5 piece pie just cut differently & until they increase the sensor you won't get more pie....

But in reality I don't think the bionics camera is limited to the extent the software is making it out to be, no reason the DX camera should look better than my bionic......but it does-I blame software & I ask you all for a suggestion to a good replacement in the form of an app.

ripper2860

Reaction score
Well I use yahoo messenger & voice calls which utilizes the ffc...switching isn't really the answer in my case I think, i checked out retro & camera 360 those just basically change the interface no real improvement, maybe paper camera but they want $2 for it & i'm not sure if it takes normal pics or just funky effects only...

MUIU does not render the FFC useless -- it just does not have the ability to take pics via FFC within the MUIU camera app. The FFC switching control capability is missing as it was originally developed for the DX which has no FFC. Other apps that can control and utilize the FFC (including the original blurcamera.apk app) can still utilize the FFC. I have both the MUIUI and Bionic blurcamera app installed on my Bionic and the blurcamera app still has full FFC functionality.

mikespe

Reaction score

I knew it was a hardware issue and not a software one. Yes software can increase shutter speed & focus speed. But in the end if the hardware is poor quality so will the pictures. BUT I will say this...and this has ALSO been said many times...it's a smartphone WITH a camera...NOT a camera with a smartphone...The Swiss Army Knife of the technology world. Like the knife, it doesn't have the best pair of scissors included but they work pretty darn good! :)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I knew it was a hardware issue and not a software one. Yes software can increase shutter speed & focus speed. But in the end if the hardware is poor quality so will the pictures. BUT I will say this...and this has ALSO been said many times...it's a smartphone WITH a camera...NOT a camera with a smartphone...The Swiss Army Knife of the technology world. Like the knife, it doesn't have the best pair of scissors included but they work pretty darn good! :)

While I think that's a good point, the problem I have is that the scissors on this knife seem worse than most knives out there now, brand new, or a year or two old.

To the OP, have you tried Camera Zoom FX as was mentioned already I think? Heard a lot of people say that does more than just change the interface.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

billyk

Reaction score
I started a thread that got moved to the "News" section, pointing to a recent article demonstrating the Bionics superior optical sharpness. If you find that thread, you'll get plenty of opinions pro/con and insights into this topic.

For me, Camera Zoom Fx totally fixed the shutter lag and other speed-related issues. And I find the inherent picture quality of the Bionic to be extraordinary, far beyond the quality of my D1 or my kid's HTC's. I hope that Moto will address camera issues in the upcoming update.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah it does take great pictures if you have the patience, and if it's well lit - some of the best I've seen... if you have the patience. :)

indee2025

Reaction score
I started a thread that got moved to the "News" section, pointing to a recent article demonstrating the Bionics superior optical sharpness. If you find that thread, you'll get plenty of opinions pro/con and insights into this topic.

For me, Camera Zoom Fx totally fixed the shutter lag and other speed-related issues. And I find the inherent picture quality of the Bionic to be extraordinary, far beyond the quality of my D1 or my kid's HTC's. I hope that Moto will address camera issues in the upcoming update.

Yea Camera Zoom FX in the market is simply an app that opens a browser to a link to purchase it and it has been slammed in the ratings on the market.....

With the number of people saying their bionic camera is great I'm just confused, the swiss army knife analogy was great when corrected by someone to include the idea that this camera is worse than earlier ones by the same maker, it's not the hardware in this case as we've seen what the camera can do on the DX but for some reason the translation between "I took a picture" & "here it is" becomes jarbled with grains & blue haze...which scream software issue...I might just have to face my bionic doesnt have bugs where others say they do but I've been plaqued with a useless camera.......

I really don't want to use that off market app a few keep referring to that doesn't interact with the ffc...i'd have to select which program to use to complete the process when using multiple apps that utilize the camera and that's just not good-I develop too so not only is what I mentioned earlier important but barcode scanner is as well & a switch prompt would just be dumb to put up with.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yea Camera Zoom FX in the market is simply an app that opens a browser to a link to purchase it and it has been slammed in the ratings on the market.....

Not sure what you're seeing there, but this is the app: https://market.android.com/details?id=slide.cameraZoom

Yes it's $5, but you've got 15 minutes to try it and see if you see any noticeable difference. If not, refund it. Or don't do it at all if you don't want to pay the $5 for it... but it's a reputable app (doesn't appear it's been slammed) that a lot of people have been claiming helps.

don_droid

Reaction score
I am also using HDR Camera (I started with free and switched to paided version) I really love this app, my first paid app. It is very slow since it takes 3 photos, but I do not need flash and can take incrediable photos inside and outside. Plus, it can handle a moving car or person in the photo. I tried the original bionic flash and camera app and could not take anything worth showing. Everyone loves these photos when I use HDR.

I have a few different apps loaded on mine. My favorite is HDR (paid version), but it's not a quick point & shoot app. It does take phenomenal pictures though. I'm not using any apps for editing or taking "different" types of pictures, just wanted apps to help the camera take quicker and better pictures. I will say though, the longer I play and learn the stock camera, the better the pictures are becoming.

Vignette & 360 are also a couple that seem to take quick and good pix too IMO

There's a thread already going on here that I found very helpful.

camera-app-recommendations

billyk

Reaction score
I have heard great things about HDR. I'll have to give it a go!

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
Well I use yahoo messenger & voice calls which utilizes the ffc...switching isn't really the answer in my case I think, i checked out retro & camera 360 those just basically change the interface no real improvement, maybe paper camera but they want $2 for it & i'm not sure if it takes normal pics or just funky effects only...

Paper Camera doesn't take regular pictures; just artsy fartsy gimmicky ones. CameraZOOM FX is a good app; it's the best camera app I could find and I've went through a lot of them (both paid and free). It allows a lot of customizations, not just button layout, but also lighting and focus. And if you get the .893, it also helps out greatly with the stock.

billyk

Reaction score
Has anyone compared HDR Camera+ with Pro HDR Camera?
They both seem like front-runners.

indee2025

Reaction score
Not sure what you're seeing there, but this is the app: https://market.android.com/details?id=slide.cameraZoom

Yes it's $5, but you've got 15 minutes to try it and see if you see any noticeable difference. If not, refund it. Or don't do it at all if you don't want to pay the $5 for it... but it's a reputable app (doesn't appear it's been slammed) that a lot of people have been claiming helps.

Yes this is the same Camera Zoom FX in the market place, the ratings are bad mostly 1-2 stars for several pages of reviews from most recent and on....the app in market is a link to a website to purchase the app & I don't see any refund available & likely not an option otherwise they'd just post in the market (unless they're trying to avoid 30 cents on the dollar in google fees)

I'm giving HDR a go and I'll post if it works out to be a better replacement...