Beware Motorola Media Link!

SuperTechPC

Reaction score
Media Link Sucks

The program interface looks like something 5 to 7 years old honestly, its not a very robust program and you dont really get the impression that is a full featured professionally developed program more like some 3rd party app created. After years of effortlessly syncing my iphone to itunes I am severely aggravated by how sucky media link . For one thing having to switch views between whats on the SD Card and whats on internal storage is ridiculous you ought to be able to see both at the same time. An interface that is smoother and and easy to use but not so simplistic, like, maybe an itunes esq layout would be a huge improvement. The back up is a bit of a bother, what am I backing up ? what if I want to pick exactly what to back up? the program runs kind of slow considering its 1 purpose is to allow syncing of data between your computer and your motorola phone its a clumsy application and why can I only pick Itunes or Windows media player? what there is music at a different location on my computer that I want to sync to my phone? I have to always add it to itunes or windows media library first and then sync that to the phone...its garbage ...total garbage..thank you Motorola and Nero for screwing over your customers

LTPZ

Reaction score
Not really repeating myself but trying to Help you here!

The program interface looks like something 5 to 7 years old honestly, its not a very robust program and you dont really get the impression that is a full featured professionally developed program more like some 3rd party app created. After years of effortlessly syncing my iphone to itunes I am severely aggravated by how sucky media link . For one thing having to switch views between whats on the SD Card and whats on internal storage is ridiculous you ought to be able to see both at the same time. An interface that is smoother and and easy to use but not so simplistic, like, maybe an itunes esq layout would be a huge improvement. The back up is a bit of a bother, what am I backing up ? what if I want to pick exactly what to back up? the program runs kind of slow considering its 1 purpose is to allow syncing of data between your computer and your motorola phone its a clumsy application and why can I only pick Itunes or Windows media player? what there is music at a different location on my computer that I want to sync to my phone? I have to always add it to itunes or windows media library first and then sync that to the phone...its garbage ...total garbage..thank you Motorola and Nero for screwing over your customers

:) Okay, Please, I am trying to explain something about more than electronics here. Anything Free in life is Never perfect. If you want custom, you have to pay for it!
There are many other programs out there that are also free that others who also don't like MML, have switched to, or they just do the basic drag and drop. MML gives you the option to upgrade. I have no clue what that does, because I have the theory that if I pay that much for a phone, then they either offer me the program or let me go elsewhere.
Just as I will be doing at the end of my contract with this droid! Now, I am only blaming myself for not researching enough prior to purchasing, what was at that time the Greatest New System...Androd! Well, I personally hate the fact that I am forced into a lot of things that I had to stop using but have desperatedly needed mobily and couldn't have but if I stuck with the Palm system I would have. So I argued with Google employed friends over their employer being in cohoots with Motorola just to take over the market and not caring about the cuonsumer, but ultimately, I purchased the product. I am stuck with it bc of the contract.
The MML is an option.
What happened to you is 1 in how many?
And you can't prove it's the program's fault bc with the odds against you, 9 out of 10 times, it will be operator or operator system/system settings error.
What I am trying to say is, be an adult, go to someplace like cnet and do some research or something and first figure out if you screwed up before you go blaming others!
Just like the other suggestions above mine, did you even research their's?

mido

Reaction score
Motorola Media Link DELETS Library Media files Without Warning

That Motorola Media Link crap DELETED all my Library - Picture files - thousands of images and videos from my Win7 PC during Syncing, WITHOUT even asking!
They should be liable for including this kind of junk Nero software with the latest Photon 4G.

patronanejo

Reaction score
All Sync'ing Software Takes Control Out of Your Hands

Man, I remember when sync'ing programs were useful.

By way of comparison, you can drag-and-drop files onto DVD as though it were a USB thumb drive--if your files are under 2GB. If you've ever tried to share a 4 GB mp4 file via DVD, you know it's still not so simple--you either have to convert the file to mpeg2 DVD VOB's or use a program like Daemon Tools to add files to an iso image and burn the iso in one shot.

That's about the closest analogy I can make to the way one had to handle mp3's waaay back in the day--you had to mess around with attributes and waste a lot of time trying to make your media files compatible with your codecs and your codecs compatible with your player...not that there was a lot of consumer-grade code available anyway. "Jukebox" programs that combined loader- and organizer- functions with mp3 player capability were a godsend in those caveman days. WinAmp and SoundJam MP come to mind (and are even still around, although SoundJam has been substantially modified)--but they're a totally unnecessary hassle today.

I just don't see the point of using a sync'ing application when one can drag-and-drop between devices without a second thought...if you need to reconcile directories between your handset and your desktop, it's more transparent and consumes fewer resources to set up a Windows briefcase...or DropBox for far-flung networked devices. Even in expert hands, iTunes requires more setup and management than it gives back.

You know you can set your iPod to manage it manually, right? It's been over a decade since the major OS's gave in to Fraunhofer and licensed the right to support mp3's natively. If you're still so lazy that you use sync'ing software (iTunes et al) for discovery- and access purposes, you don't deserve to complain about the way they work.

Last edited:

JackE

Reaction score
Media Link destroyed my photos, but was able to salvage them

First time connecting Photon 4G to PC. Media link launched it's install. OK. Updated itself. OK. Selected option to copy only photos to PC, leave originals on Photon 4G. Started process. Media link started and also did an unrequested backup of the phone. So far so good. Went to look for copy of photos. Nothing. Went to look at backup. Nothing. Worse, went back to phone to verify original photos. They were gone. A bit of panic since had not backed up to cloud, or emailed them to myself before using Media link. After frantic search of Web downloaded Wondershare Data Recovery for Android. $20, and 3 hours later, was able to recover the photos. Moral of the story, backup using a nondestructive program first. Other moral, don't contact the software creator (here Nero) because they'll point a finger - Motorola, not them, support this product. Defective, buggy software is all too common. Media link is one of them. Caveat emptor.