Best camera compared to iphone 4s?

tremonti

Reaction score
Really like some android phones. But always shied away because the iPhones still seem to have best capture rate and speed of all the camera phones out.

Not talking megapixels. Most have 8 now. It's things like quick auto focus and quick snap time that I still am reading iPhone is best at.

I don't hate apple or iPhone and am certainly not a fanboy all the way. But this is the area that I can not have an android be lacking in to switch.

Had a Samsung fascinate in past and htc incredible. Hated them both. I like the Razr HD Maxx, but it seems that the camera is lacking?

Why aren't more companies trying to compete regarding the camera? Seems that is the final piece before bidding farewell to apple.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
The latest HTC phones have really nice cameras. The camera on my Rezound is awesome and the newer ones are even faster and have more features.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
My Samsung S3 has a great camera... I agree the ios offerings are faster and adjust quicker... Although they have limited adjustments as far as wide screen options and such.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Most OEMs are competing on the camera front. It's really just Motorola that has been lazy. The hardware in their cameras today remains virtually unchanged from the hardware in the Droid X from over two years ago.

The camera in the S3 is nearly identical to the camera in the 4S. They both use the same line of sensors made by Sony, with the S3's sensor being slightly newer. Any differences between the two essentially come down to the lenses used (advantage 4S) and the software processing (advantage S3). Overall, I've found my shots with the S3 to be slightly better than the pictures I took when I had the 4S. The Note 2 also uses the same camera as the S3.

HTC has put out some good cameras this year that are on par with the 4S and S3, although in my experience they're not quite as reliable in all situations. Sony's higher end phones offer similar quality, but the phones themselves are lacking in other regards. Besides possibly the iPhone 5 (which at the very least takes superior low light shots when compared to the 4S), the only available phone in the U.S. with a better camera than the S3 (besides Nokia's PureView) is the Nokia 920 that has a variation of the PureView camera. But going with Nokia will mean switching operating systems.

I think the S3 and Note 2 have the best overall cameras in any Android phone currently available, with HTC's One series (including the DNA) coming in a close second. But I could see valid points for someone arguing the reverse. In my experience, I've just preferred the shots from the S3 over the One X.

Last edited:
OP
tremonti

tremonti

Reaction score
No doubt the S3 takes great pictures and has more options in its menu. BUT....they aren't as good as 4s/5 iPhone in regards to shutter speed/low light/fast focus. Those are my main concerns.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
No doubt the S3 takes great pictures and has more options in its menu. BUT....they aren't as good as 4s/5 iPhone in regards to shutter speed/low light/fast focus. Those are my main concerns.

I can't speak for the iPhone 5, but having owned both and having used both extensively for photos, I can speak for the 4S vs. the S3, and I'm going to disagree about shutter speed and low light. The shutter speed on virtually any Android device running 4.0 on up is pretty much instantaneous, and the S3 is one of the quickest of them all. It's easily on par with the 4S. As for low light, it's also right there with the 4S as well. Much of that is due to the fact that they both have a virtually identical sensor (with the S3's being slightly newer). I personally prefer the low light shots from my S3 over the low light shots from my 4S because they're consistently sharper.

As for focus, again I'd say that they're neck and neck, but I'd probably give a slight edge to the 4S. The difference really is marginal most of the time, but the 4S does have the slight advantage.

Raw Dodge

Reaction score

I have friends with the 4s. Sorry but there pictures are definitely no better than mine, and I think mine are better in many shots...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i can say in my short experience with the iphone 5 and the s3 i would give the edge to iphone 5. the 4s and s3 though i feel are very similar with a very slight lead to the 4s. i think HTC probably has the best camera for android with Samsung a close 2nd

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
i can say in my short experience with the iphone 5 and the s3 i would give the edge to iphone 5. the 4s and s3 though i feel are very similar with a very slight lead to the 4s. i think HTC probably has the best camera for android with Samsung a close 2nd

While HTC's cameras in their high end devices are very good, the pictures often have too much noise for my liking. I definitely like the shots I've taken with the S3 and Note 2 more than the shots I took with the One X, and the DNA looks to be on par with the One X. The HD video they take also isn't quite as good as the cameras in Samsung's top devices. Both are very good though, so a person really wouldn't go wrong with either.

I've heard good things about the iPhone 5's low light shots, and I've seen some great examples of that online. Well lit shots appear to be similar to the 4S and S3.

NOVICE

Reaction score
IPhone 5 camera definitely superior to GS lll. But I would never exchange my GS lll for my wife's IPhone 5. Not even close.

normanhunter45

Reaction score
The iPhone has a better camera than all the Android phones..due to its 2.4 arpeture size..very good lens!!

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
iPhone 5 camera is great in certain conditions , bad in others ,it has a rainbow effect due to the lense when light is at certain angles,there's plenty of videos on YouTube showing it.

leabradley

Reaction score
Iphone is mainly famous in camera clarity and sound clarity. No one beat iphone in these both features.