Before upgrading from your Droid or Eris, please read this

CyborgTakeover

Reaction score
Im not bragging in this, Im trying to do you a favor and help you make the best decision for yourself.

Owning my Droid is like having a custom car except significant modifications cost less than lunch.

I have the most customizable Android device on the planet and also the fastest...when I want it to be.

ENGINE/TRANSMISSION UPGRADE:

Sometimes I want it to run at a lower speed to conserve battery. So I tune it exactly the way I want by installing a custom Kernel. I can program it to run anywhere between 1300-250mhz with an application called Set CPU.

For instance, when my phone is in Sleep/Standby mode it conserves power by running between 400-250mhz, but when it wakes up its flying at 1000mhz, the same as an HTC Incredible. That application I use to double the speed costs less than a domestic beer in any city worth visiting.

ECU UPGRADE:

Lately it seems like there’s an upgrade worth making every week, sometimes every couple days. For like a month or so Id been running CyanogenMod, a custom ROM based on the actual Android 2.1 source code.

You’d think, how in the world could someone legally get their hands on that? It can’t be legal.

The thing is, Google gives it to people and says, “Hey, if you think you can make something cooler than what we’ve got, go for it.” In their spare time, a handful of people really are doing some cool stuff.

And the guys who are programming these really cool ROMs are making them available to us to download for free. They ask you for a donation through paypal, but its not required. $5 is probably the limit anyone usually throws them , and the access they give you to customize is ridiculous. Free if you want it to be. $5 if you’re not cheap.

A week later someone leaked a version of 2.2 Froyo and from what Ive seen on these forums, it looks like a couple of college students got a hold of and have made my phone run faster than even doubling the Processor speed has.

Froyo has something in it that sadly our Eris friends probably won’t be getting OTA, which is a shame because from the benchmark tests Ive seen just about any device running 2.2 is going to be faster than any phone running 2.1, PERIOD.

An Eris, rooted and overclocked to 700mhz will wipe the floor with any brand new Android phone you will be able to buy from Verizon today and probably tomorrow.

There isn’t a working 2.2 ROM for the Eris YET, but there is for my now overclocked 1000mhz Moto Droid.

Currently a handful of custom 2.2 leaked ROMs available, Buggless Beast and JRummy are the two I’ve used the most so far. Not that Ive been able to give much of anyone else a chance since something new comes out EVERY DAY.

PAINT:

Probably the reason I myself have been most drawn to the JRummy and Bugless Beast ROMs is it seems the most people are developing custom themes for them. JRummy seems to always have his own themes and other very talented people are giving us lots of creative options.

I have no less than 7 versions of my phone available for boot right now and every one of them is different. Ive got a Florida State looking theme based on the Ironman that JsinLegacy made. I have Blue, Cyan, Green and Red themes from JRummy and a few others by Team Chaos and roberJ13. You can switch between all of this stuff very easily because of a program called ROM Manager that makes it easy to create backups and restore ROMs. I think it costs $2.99 in Marketplace.

You can’t do all of this yet on an HTC Incredible and it cost me under $10 to make mine this much better. Id think in this economy most people would rather upgrade their phones cheaply , taking advantage of the FACT that software is developing at least as quickly as the hardware.

The software in the rooted arena is evolving so fast that the best hardware doesn’t even support it. Realistically, I doubt I will upgrade until there is something another device can do significantly better, but that has not happened yet and probably won’t for awhile. Maybe when Motorola comes out with that 2GHZ phone around Christmas…but until then Im not going to spend a few hundred extra just so my phone has a different shape, especially when I’m probably going to put a Seidio case on it anyway.

The best thing about all this, even better than the costs involved…YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE A PROGRAMMER TO DO THIS STUFF. You aren’t going to break your phone to the point where it can’t be brought back. If you are worried about it, you probably aren’t experienced enough to even get where you’d have to go in the phone to brick it.

Being afraid of bricking your phone while installing a custom ROM is like thinking you could flatline a laptop by opening the wrong MS Word file. Its an old people concern.

My experience with computers, before I started messing with this Droid, peaked at downloading files through bit torrent. Im not terribly mechanical. I got a liberal arts degree at an institution known more for **links removed**

Its basically as difficult as opening and closing files in Windows, and its getting easier every single day.

The more people who hold on to their phones and actually learn what they are capable of, the faster this technology will evolve. Developers will continue supporting them and continuing trying to wring out every last drop of potential before moving on to something that only offers more displacement.

The Motorola Droid is the absolute best phone available right now for the money. When the 2.2 Eris ROMs start popping up that is going to be a beast as well, and I bet the battery lasts longer than those big screened juice hogs. The Eris on 2.2 is going to be like a BMW M3. The Droid on 2.2 is already an M6. Any stock 2.1 device is never going to be any better than a Mustang LX.

The people with a year or more before their Verizon contract allows an upgrade have plenty of opportunity to step into a far better phone, they just need to root it and actually learn how to use it.

Stop acting like a bunch of iphone users and figure your mini computer out further than how to change the background. Its not hard. There’s nothing to fear. My mom does more complicated tasks on her regular computer every day.

You can always go back to stock. Root and enjoy. dancedroid

Last edited by a moderator:

Reneg4d3

Reaction score
Wow, first post.
I agree completely! I was looking at the new moto droid 2 and wasn't satisfied. It is only a 1ghz processor. I am with you, I have another year before I can do an early upgrade, why spend the immense amount of money to upgrading to a phone that is in reality not that much better than my moto droid. My droid is over clocked at 1ghz and runs smoothly.

I wasn't aware that 2.2 had been leaked, so that's what this whole "Froyo" mess is about.

Thanks for all the helpful information, I am about to boot into "Froyo" and test it out.

Regards,
Reneg4d3

Last edited:
OP
C

CyborgTakeover

Reaction score
Ive been lurking on this and a number of other forums for awhile. Showing some appreciation to everyone who has helped me make my Droid experience far better than it would be otherwise.

I couldn't even stand to use a stock Droid at this point.

OP
C

CyborgTakeover

Reaction score
Wow, first post.
I agree completely! I was looking at the new moto droid 2 and wasn't satisfied. It is only a 1ghz processor. I am with you, I have another year before I can do an early upgrade, why spend the immense amount of money to upgrading to a phone that is in reality not that much better than my moto droid. My droid is over clocked at 1ghz and runs smoothly.

I wasn't aware that 2.2 had been leaked, so that's what this whole "Froyo" mess is about.

Thanks for all the helpful information, I am about to boot into "Froyo" and test it out.

Regards,
Reneg4d3

Its so much faster, smoother and really just an amazing, drastic increase in potential.

A 2.1 stock droid feels like a phone that must have come out 2 years ago compared to an overclocked Droid running a 2.2 ROM. It will only get better as these developers gain experience and the Froyo Source code is released.

J

Johnly

Forgive me for not reading your post, I had an Eris, please, upgrade:)

OP
C

CyborgTakeover

Reaction score

was it running Evil Eris?

or Cyanogen5?

Did it look like these?

If all you ever did was use what the store gave you I don't blame you for thinking you had to move on to get a better phone. Thats exactly what they want you to believe. Now you have bought two phones that will be obsolete by Christmas.

Are you going to average 3 new cell phones a year for the rest of your life? ;-)

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Me, I'm a components guy. I like finding out about the internals of the device. I had no idea these phones should be treated like PC's til I read up on the cpu's in these phones.

Like most ppl that wanted the Inc over the Droid, out-the-box it was faster. And it had more features. Some things rooting cant take the place of. Out-the-box the newer phones are just faster, have better cpu's, and have better features than whats out now.

The Inc. just got rooted, the Milestone just got rooted.....I know there has been talk of future phones being harder to root. But history has shown over n over again: "wheres theres a will, theres a way."

Close your eyes and just imagine .......these new phones ....rooted.......with a cpu that overclocks better thans whats out now......a cpu thats more energy efficient than whats out now......

Me, my Droid running Froyo has me content, so much that I'm not going back to 2.1 even if they waited to release 2.2 next year. I am curious about a few things with the new phones. And I'll see if its all its cracked up to be soon.

U make some excellent points tho. Even if one didnt root, I feel Froyo will make a big difference for ppl keeping their current phones. The Droid is so amazing even before Froyo, I dont plan on getting rid of it.

Last edited:

Skytile

Reaction score
I haven't really felt a need to root yet, although I was very tempted to put Froyo on my baby. But as I read, I just kept seeing lots of little glitches that others were having, so I decided to wait for the OTA. Now, if that really is "coming soon" like the 2.1 OTA, I might decide to go root and not go back. (Ironically enough, I didn't actually have to wait for that OTA because I got my phone mid-April. It was there as soon as I turned my baby on. But the waiting was still torture for me.) But right now, I'm running stock 2.1 and am very content. I really don't see a point in upgrading yet. It probably also has something to do with the fact that I completely lusted after this beauty for five months while I waited for my upgrade. I am in love with my phone. And I wouldn't cheat on something I'm in love with. ;)

So even though I'm running stock, I'm still glad to keep my "outdated" phone that doesn't have quite the specs of other phones. I even think it's better than some of them, and I would fight for it 'til I have convinced all others of its greatness. There really is no point in getting a new phone when my slightly customized one is already the best that's out there. (To me, anyway. Don't go pushing your "my rooted phone is better because it's FAWESOME" crap on me. :p)

J

Johnly

or Cyanogen5?

Did it look like these?

If all you ever did was use what the store gave you I don't blame you for thinking you had to move on to get a better phone. Thats exactly what they want you to believe. Now you have bought two phones that will be obsolete by Christmas.

Are you going to average 3 new cell phones a year for the rest of your life? ;-)
Neither, but it didn't pass 1ghz, and it didn't run froyo, and the battery died fast, YES, PASS it up~! And run 1.3ghz and smoke it thick like a cola~

jrodizkool01

Reaction score
Although I love my Droid, the X is looking pretty hot but I wouldnt even bother checking out the Droid 2 since it isnt really much of an improvement aside from the processor.

OP
C

CyborgTakeover

Reaction score

or Cyanogen5?

Did it look like these?

Neither, but it didn't pass 1ghz, and it didn't run froyo, and the battery died fast, YES, PASS it up~! And run 1.3ghz and smoke it thick like a cola~

What do you have now?

OP
C

CyborgTakeover

Reaction score
Me, I'm a components guy. I like finding out about the internals of the device. I had no idea these phones should be treated like PC's til I read up on the cpu's in these phones.

Like most ppl that wanted the Inc over the Droid, out-the-box it was faster. And it had more features. Some things rooting cant take the place of. Out-the-box the newer phones are just faster, have better cpu's, and have better features than whats out now.

The Inc. just got rooted, the Milestone just got rooted.....I know there has been talk of future phones being harder to root. But history has shown over n over again: "wheres theres a will, theres a way."

Close your eyes and just imagine .......these new phones ....rooted.......with a cpu that overclocks better thans whats out now......a cpu thats more energy efficient than whats out now......

Me, my Droid running Froyo has me content, so much that I'm not going back to 2.1 even if they waited to release 2.2 next year. I am curious about a few things with the new phones. And I'll see if its all its cracked up to be soon.

U make some excellent points tho. Even if one didnt root, I feel Froyo will make a big difference for ppl keeping their current phones. The Droid is so amazing even before Froyo, I dont plan on getting rid of it.

Im not saying there will never be a reason to upgrade, or that the options on the Droid will never be available for another phone.

Im just saying they aren't available for another phone right now, and I wouldn't pay more to get something that is absolutely not an upgrade at this point.

Until these developers make the switch to the newer phones, the Droid is going to be the best phone you can get.

zenman77

Reaction score
I could'nt agree more. Great post and I always like to donate to the devs for the hard work that they put in.