Before upgrading from your Droid or Eris, please read this

cb3FSU

Reaction score
An Eris with 2.2 won't be wiping the phones with any of the new Android phones being released. Sorry, just isn't happening.

If it weren't faster than an HTC Incredible running 2.1 I would be shocked.

The point is, an Eris running 2.2 is absolutely a capable device and fast enough to do anything you will want it to for the foreseeable future.

The hardware they are bringing out sounds great, but it simply cannot take advantage of its potential due to current battery limitations.

Anything over 1000mhz running 2.2 is kind of like chocolate syrup over chocolate icecream piled on top of fudge brownies. Yeah, it sounds great but you'll get sick if you eat too much of it.

IMO, with Froyo, 800mhz is all you really need at this point. You get about 8 hours of use on a Droid with the screen on full blast.

Speed, stability and battery life are all very important. At 800mhz you get all 3.

The Eris on 2.2 will be a great phone.

But u also have to factor in the cpu its using too. Certain phones might cant run Flash or run it well based on the cpu its using. The Eris runs a Qualcomm MSM7600 528Mhz

This is a review of the LG Ally talking about Flash 10.1:

It is powered by a Qualcomm MSM7627 600 MHz processor. This means you might not be seeing Flash on the Ally. Adobe said back in February that Flash will only run on phones with ARM Cortex-A8 processors and 50MB or more of available RAM, like the Nexus One, the HTC Incredible, and Motorola Droid, but the Qualcomm MSM7627 is a less powerful ARM11 processor.
**Yea, Adobe said it back in Feb and things may have changed since then.**

Now u right, it probably will be faster than an Inc. running 2.1....and since the Inc. just came out in May it is still a new phone. But I cant see the Eris on 2.2 wiping the floor against the Inc on 2.1.

The 2 newer phones from Motorola? They have better cpu's than the Inc. I definitely cant see the Eris on 2.2 wiping the floor with either of those 2 running 2.1

Just for benchmarks, look at the Quadrant scores of the "Shadow" (thats the X) vs. the other phones on that list. Yea, any phone running 2.2 will be nice, but a software update doesnt change the cpu its running. If its running cpu A, it will still be cpu A after an update.

**I totally missed the OP saying an overclocked Eris will wipe the floor with any new phone from Verizon....when an Eris probably cant even handle Flash....lol Thats too funny...l***

**I totally missed the OP saying an overclocked Eris will wipe the floor with any new phone from Verizon....when an Eris probably cant even handle Flash....lol Thats too funny...l***

In the OP, I meant to say that it would have to be running 2.2 and mistyped.

Look, I understand that the CPU in the Eris will be inferior to the new stuff coming out. Perhaps there might be Flash issues, we would have to see about that.

All Im saying is that the Eris, rooted and overclocked to 700mhz running 2.2 is a very capable device.

If you have that phone or a Moto Droid, there is so much that can be done to them, so much more than the brand new phones that the minimal performance upgrade you might see from a stock Incredible or whatever is probably not worth what they lack in customization.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
lol, I meant I missed what the orig OP said, the very first post. In his big post he stated the Eris on 2.2 would wipe the floor with any new Verizon phone coming out, and I totally missed it.

And I meant to say "overclocked Eris running 2.2" in my red texts.....We both need to proofread huh :biggrin:

So, when u quoted JhankG, it brought attention to what the OP said. :)

U right, its a capable device rooted running 2.2. Any phone on 2.2 will be a better phone. But the OP must have been drinking when he said wipe the floor with newer phones coming out....My last post woulda been my first one if I didnt miss what he said. It was so many words....I got lost.

Last edited:
OP
C

CyborgTakeover

Reaction score
lol, I meant I missed what the orig OP said, the very first post. In his big post he stated the Eris on 2.2 would wipe the floor with any new Verizon phone coming out, and I totally missed it.

And I meant to say "overclocked Eris running 2.2" in my red texts.....We both need to proofread huh :biggrin:

So, when u quoted JhankG, it brought attention to what the OP said. :)

U right, its a capable device rooted running 2.2. Any phone on 2.2 will be a better phone. But the OP must have been drinking when he said wipe the floor with newer phones coming out....My last post woulda been my first one if I didnt miss what he said. It was so many words....I got lost.

So you don't think an 750mhz overclocked Eris running 2.2 would be faster than an HTC INCREDIBLE running 2.1?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
It might be faster, even with the Eris's weaker cpu, its hard to tell....but it wont wipe the floor with it. Which is that part I missed earlier.....

But hey, if I'm wrong, so be it. Froyo is that amazing. Believe me I know from first hand experience.

Last edited:
J

Johnly

Forgive me for not reading your post, I had an Eris, please, upgrade:)

was it running Evil Eris?

or Cyanogen5?

Did it look like these?

If all you ever did was use what the store gave you I don't blame you for thinking you had to move on to get a better phone. Thats exactly what they want you to believe. Now you have bought two phones that will be obsolete by Christmas.

Are you going to average 3 new cell phones a year for the rest of your life? ;-)
guess I didn't have it long enough:icon_eek:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I meant to add if you have an Eris please load up a 2.2 ROM and show us that Froyo magic. I'm not trying to be funny.

I do wanna see what Froyo can do for the Eris. I already know what it can do for the Droid. It can make u hold off upgrading to a new phone, even u had an upgrade available. lol

sjacksonauto

Reaction score
[/quote]

Look, I understand that the CPU in the Eris will be inferior to the new stuff coming out. Perhaps there might be Flash issues, we would have to see about that.

All Im saying is that the Eris, rooted and overclocked to 700mhz running 2.2 is a very capable device.

If you have that phone or a Moto Droid, there is so much that can be done to them, so much more than the brand new phones that the minimal performance upgrade you might see from a stock Incredible or whatever is probably not worth what they lack in customization.[/QUOTE]

Hey, what theme is that red status bar in the first pic of op?:icon_eek:

OP
C

CyborgTakeover

Reaction score

If you have that phone or a Moto Droid, there is so much that can be done to them, so much more than the brand new phones that the minimal performance upgrade you might see from a stock Incredible or whatever is probably not worth what they lack in customization.[/QUOTE]

Hey, what theme is that red status bar in the first pic of op?:icon_eek:[/QUOTE]

Its the iron froyo theme by jsinlegacy. I got it from rom manager, I'm not sure where else you could dl it from.

In regards to my "wipe the floor" comment, perhaps I was speaking in hyperbole in regards to the eris, if all you want to consider it speed. Consider battery life, customization and value...and you get what some might call a floor wiping.

I would still rather have a rooted, overclocked, themable Eris than a stock Incredible. Really, what are you going to do with a stock phone?

I mean, would you rather watch basic non hd channels on a new 50" LED TV and pay $3k or get the full hd package with all pay channels and some movies that are still in theaters on your "old" 42" lcd you bought last year?

Having the thinnest phone just doesn't give me a rise. I want options and capabilities.