Upgrading from Droid Eris to....

battlemac

Reaction score
So, my Eris is keep acting up(3G doesn't fully lock in sometimes) and I am on number 4 or 5 right now and for some odd reason I am one of the few people who is not getting offered the DI as a free upgrade as I have been hearing. But, they are offering me an early upgrade, and possibility of having the early upgrade fee waved. Now the question comes is what do I upgrade to? I like Sense(mainly for the dialer and contact app), but I can easily adapt, and form factor isn't that key as I went from Treo 700w, to i760 to Eris, so I have had a wide array of devices. I am right now looking at the D2, DI, and Droid Pro as they all can be had for about $150, or should I wait for something like like the Merge, DI HD, or D2 World? All I really desire is a good call, sq(audio during music/video playback), and camera quality. Which of these I am looking at is the better one? Or should I be looking at something else? Thank you.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you can survive till the end of the month, I'd wait for the Inc HD. On the other hand, you should be on the phone demanding a free replacement if you're on your 4th or 5th Eris. Again, however, if you can wait...

The current crop of phones is good, however. :)

OP
B

battlemac

Reaction score
I was demanding, and the rep kept saying all I can do is get you another Eris as that is what the manufacture warranty only covers. I like the idea of the HD, but 4.3in maybe on the larger size, plus I don't think I would use the front facing camera at this time. The D2 and DI cost less and either would do what I want out of my phones just fine. Just looking for the one with the better sound quality, call quality, and camera quality.

Even thought it cost a bit more the Samsung Continuum did catch my eye with the 4in screen divided into two. But, I don't like how Samsung upgrades are a bit slower than HTC and Moto, and I am not that found of touchwiz. But, based on my experience call quality was good, and they generally have good audio quality, but I cannot say how that compares to the D2, DI, or the others. Plus, I'm not sure if GPS is fixed or not, but nav has saved me some time and money, so yeah.

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Hookbill has posted a few times about how he's received his early upgrades and things. He's always polite, he's always insistent, and when push comes to shove he asks to speak to supervisors. Then he resumes his polite insistence, but if he runs into a brick wall he thanks them for their time and calls back later. He never tries to cheat Verizon, obviously. :)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if you've had this many problems with your phones (assuming you haven't had insurance replacements), due to hardware issues like the one you're reporting, that Verizon should, at least, offer you a refurbished upgrade.

OP
B

battlemac

Reaction score
Yeah most of my issue were/are 3G not properly locking in and I live in SoCal so location isn't the issue. The rep was one level below supervisor(assistant supervisor if I am not mistaken) and was nice as I could be. He saw that I went through a few Eris and said all I could do is either get another Eris, or get an early upgrade early and maybe not pay the extra upgrade fee. There also was the option of getting an out of contract refurb, but the only Android phone there was the Eris the Devour the rest were BB, and Touch Diamond & Pro 2. I could call them and try again, but I am I get the feeling I would get another Eris or offer to use the early upgrade option.

OP
B

battlemac

Reaction score
I spoke to tech support again today and he said the microSD card could be cause of all my issues and that I should use another microsd card and see what happens. I did and an issue that came up in troubleshoot still occurred. No, dice on another phone, unless I want to pay 250+tax on a og Droid and not have the contract extended.