BB V0.4 versus Lithium Mod Comparison

elucid

Reaction score
My BB 0.4 experience:
I tried running BB 0.4 for a couple of weeks. The same day I installed BB I got the itch to try overclocking so I went big and tried Chevyno1 1.2Ghz ULV. Much to my surprise it ran flawlessly, well almost. 2 days later I got an application to force close. Nothing major, but I'm not willing so sacrifice stability for performance. I figured it was my kernel so I downgraded to 1.1GHz. After a day I also had another force close. Down to 1Ghz, same thing after a couple of days. I also began to notice that the BB toolkit would always force close. Lowered to 800mhz ULV and the BB toolkit problem went away. When the new version of Quandrant came out, it would force close during the benchmark! So I downgraded to 800mhz LV and then 800mhz MV. Finally it would work. But still I would get some force closes every day or so. One more thing, very occasionally the touch screen would become unresponsive. I would have to press the screen multiple times to get it to register. To be fair to BB, I didn't give the stock kernel much of a chance.

My Lithium mod experience:
I saw that Jrummy was conspiring with other devs to make the Lithium Mod, I knew I had to give it a try. First thing I noticed (other than a new launcher), was my battery life is easily 50% if not 100% better. Previously I was having to charge after 12 hours, now it is more like 24 hours. Funny that the kernel didn't seem to make a difference in battery life. I've only been running Lithium since yesterday, but I've noticed no force closes and no touch screen issues. This time I'm going to stick with the stock kernel a week to get a baseline of performance and stability. The quadrant scores aren't any higher (and may actually be lower than BB). However, the responsiveness seems better. This is worth more than any quadrant score (although it was fun to get a higher benchmark score than the nexus one 2.2+) :)

mightybrick

Reaction score
My BB 0.4 experience:
I tried running BB 0.4 for a couple of weeks. The same day I installed BB I got the itch to try overclocking so I went big and tried Chevyno1 1.2Ghz ULV. Much to my surprise it ran flawlessly, well almost. 2 days later I got an application to force close. Nothing major, but I'm not willing so sacrifice stability for performance. I figured it was my kernel so I downgraded to 1.1GHz. After a day I also had another force close. Down to 1Ghz, same thing after a couple of days. I also began to notice that the BB toolkit would always force close. Lowered to 800mhz ULV and the BB toolkit problem went away. When the new version of Quandrant came out, it would force close during the benchmark! So I downgraded to 800mhz LV and then 800mhz MV. Finally it would work. But still I would get some force closes every day or so. One more thing, very occasionally the touch screen would become unresponsive. I would have to press the screen multiple times to get it to register. To be fair to BB, I didn't give the stock kernel much of a chance.

I saw that Jrummy was conspiring with other devs to make the Lithium Mod, I knew I had to give it a try. First thing I noticed (other than a new launcher), was my battery life is easily 50% if not 100% better. Previously I was having to charge after 12 hours, now it is more like 24 hours. Funny that the kernel didn't seem to make a difference in battery life. I've only been running Lithium since yesterday, but I've noticed no force closes and no touch screen issues. This time I'm going to stick with the stock kernel a week to get a baseline of performance and stability. The quadrant scores aren't any higher (and may actually be lower than BB). However, the responsiveness seems better. This is worth more than any quadrant score (although it was fun to get a higher benchmark score than the nexus one 2.2+) :)
Welcome to the fold of Source Builds. :)

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Correct, with petes rom you might as well run a leaked ROM. After moving over to source built ROM's I can never go back

Reaction score
One thing that I have noticed from source built roms is the cell signal issue. Stock, rooted, BB v0.4 do not have a major issue but all of the source roms I have tried have a weak signal to the cell towers. Anyone have an idea why?:blink:

hookerdj

Reaction score
no comparison lithium is a built from source rom with all kinds of customizations while bugless is a stock rom with some super tweaks

My BB 0.4 experience:

OP
E

elucid

Reaction score
no comparison lithium is a built from source rom with all kinds of customizations while bugless is a stock rom with some super tweaks

What do you mean that bugless is stock with tweaks versus source rom? I have some basic software knowledge but I'm not sure what these terms mean i the context of android. I'm new to the scene so I'm not sure what all these versions mean and what source versus non-source means.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
I am not new to all of this but to say that there is no comparison between source built and stock rom is hard for me to believe. There is an issue with the radio in the source rom that is not in the stock rom yet they all come from the same base code to begin with. There has to be a reason the source rom has a weak radio and the "stock" rom does not have a weak radio. This is what I am trying to understand and it seems no one understands. I love a lot of the source rom's but the radio issue is a killer for me.

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
I hope someone can inform elucid, as he demonstrates the ignorance of nearly the entirety of Bugless Beast users. Not trying to be mean lucid... just that Pete is distributing the most basic ROM, it's pretty much stock with a few tweaks. He's done a very good job moderating Android processes, and adding a few features. But the ROM's built from source take leaps and bounds away from what he is doing...

robs1011

Reaction score
Exchange

I agree, Bugless drains battery super fast. Lithium does not. But the worst part is Lithium won't connect to my cooperate email. People say try a 3rd party app but that defeats the purpose IMO. For some reason with Lithium I just can't connect my cooperate email account with exchange. So odd.

If I could do this I'd be super happy with Lithium and use it for sure. But i'm back to just 2.1 rooted right now because of battery issues with BB.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I agree, Bugless drains battery super fast. Lithium does not. But the worst part is Lithium won't connect to my cooperate email. People say try a 3rd party app but that defeats the purpose IMO. For some reason with Lithium I just can't connect my cooperate email account with exchange. So odd.

If I could do this I'd be super happy with Lithium and use it for sure. But i'm back to just 2.1 rooted right now because of battery issues with BB.

If your purpose is to get your corporate email onto your phone why does it matter what app you use to do it? All of the 3rd party apps that I've tried work much better than the native email app. The stock gmail app can at least be used, but the stock pop3/imap email program is almost totally unusable. That is why almost every custom rom comes with a built in script to remove it. Everyone uses K-9, Maildroid, and touchdown.

Reaction score
I agree that the source Roms are truley a leap above bugless but everyone is still ignoring my question, why do source Roms have a weak radio? Come on people quit avoiding it! :(

robs1011

Reaction score

If your purpose is to get your corporate email onto your phone why does it matter what app you use to do it? All of the 3rd party apps that I've tried work much better than the native email app. The stock gmail app can at least be used, but the stock pop3/imap email program is almost totally unusable. That is why almost every custom rom comes with a built in script to remove it. Everyone uses K-9, Maildroid, and touchdown.

How is it better? Right now I can download attachments and I actually get the email a few seconds before it shows on the inbox on my computer. I have had no issues at all. Everyone keeps say use Touchdown but why should I pay for something when the phone comes ready to use. BB worked flawlessly with cooperate email. To me it just doesn't make sense and these apps are a work around the issue. In the log it says Lithium has exchange capabilities yet it doesn't connect.

Maybe i'll try an app it just seems funny to have to do that to me. That's all. I'm not hating. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. I love the battery life with Lithium and all the themes for sure!

robs1011

Reaction score
I agree that the source Roms are truley a leap above bugless but everyone is still ignoring my question, why do source Roms have a weak radio? Come on people quit avoiding it! :(

I haven't had this issue. Sorry, not ignoring you just don't know what to say.

trol1374

Reaction score

How is it better? Right now I can download attachments and I actually get the email a few seconds before it shows on the inbox on my computer. I have had no issues at all. Everyone keeps say use Touchdown but why should I pay for something when the phone comes ready to use. BB worked flawlessly with cooperate email. To me it just doesn't make sense and these apps are a work around the issue. In the log it says Lithium has exchange capabilities yet it doesn't connect.

Maybe i'll try an app it just seems funny to have to do that to me. That's all. I'm not hating. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. I love the battery life with Lithium and all the themes for sure!

Please take this with a smile.. not slamming. But aren't you contradicting yourself? You are running a non stock, 3rd party Rom for obvious reasons, yet you don't believe in using a 3rd party app that could possibly work better.

robs1011

Reaction score

Please take this with a smile.. not slamming. But aren't you contradicting yourself? You are running a non stock, 3rd party Rom for obvious reasons, yet you don't believe in using a 3rd party app that could possibly work better.

That's fine. I see your point. Zing! You got me sir! =)