Battery life on a Razr Maxx HD

happycheeto

Reaction score
Hello all :)

I have some questions about the battery life on my phone, as I've heard it should have the best battery of well.. most other phones right? I've been stalking these forums for a while and have read about how to take care of the battery on the phone and I think I've done a good job. But my battery life isn't as good as I expected (or maybe it's just me and it's actually really great?).

I got my Droid Razr Maxx HD the same day other family members got the iPhone 5 or the Samsung Galaxy S3. I was the only one who got this phone. At the end of the first day, my battery life was about the same as the S3. By that I mean, we were all using our phones together for similar purposes, and had about the same amount of brightness.

Ok, no big deal. Flash forward to now, My battery life wasn't so great. It would run to 50% from a full charge within 4-5 hours. I regularly close my applications and processes (those running apps that you don't see in the window), I turned off my live wallpaper and don't use high screen brightness too often. I'm using wifi nearly all the time! Now one thing I should mention is... Sometimes I use my phone continuously (yes, continuously) for a few hours. But I'm not the only one in my family who does. Even on days where I don't use it that often (continuous usage only happened a few times a week when I had a 3-4 hour gap between my classes, and is not how I normally use my phone) my phone will inevitably need to be charged by the time I get home (which is after only about 8/9 hours since last charge). My dad has a similar way of using his phone and he claims to only need to charge his iPhone 5 after a day and half. Before this phone, I had the iPhone 4 and it wouldn't last as long as this phone yes, but it wasn't that much different in terms of battery. The iPhone 4 would be down to maybe 10-15% battery by the time I got home (where I don't close running apps for days at a time) while my current phone is down to 20-30% by the time I get home where I close apps during every use longer then 10 minutes. I was actually expecting a huge jump in terms of having to charge my phone from the iPhone 4 and the Razr Maxx HD. It's definitely better, but not by a huge amount.

Is it just that I'm using the phone too much, and the difference between OS's account for why the numbers are different, or is something wrong with my battery?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
How much screen on time are you getting on a full charge? Also constantly using WiFi could drain faster. I have a regular HD and get about 4- 4 1/2 hours of screen on time... The Maxx I've seen upwards of 6.

OP
H

happycheeto

Reaction score
By screen on time do you mean how much time I spend using the screen on that full charge? I would definitely say more then 4 hours. But I can't give an exact number. Does this help?
2012-12-06_1405 - staplerpro's library

When I had a live wallpaper the screen % was higher than this.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Go to settings - battery and on click "screen" it will take you to a new window and tell you how much screen on time you have used.

OP
H

happycheeto

Reaction score
Oh wow. I had no idea I could do that. Now I'm thinking maybe I just use the phone too much...

It's been on for 2hours and 59 minutes and is still at 72%.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
:) Yea at that rate you'd get like 9 hours of screen on time... wow.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
You're welcome, no worries.

YellowChicken

Reaction score
I have the droid RAZR HD as well but my screen time doesn't even come close to yours! I only get about 2.5 hours of screen time with about 25-30% left. Is this normal? I turn off GPS and Bluetooth the entire day and only turn on WiFi when available. Any tips or tricks you have? Do you customize your smart action? I only text heavy, surf the web and play games here and there but can only manage about 2.5 hrs before I need to be careful of the battery.

otb4evr

Reaction score
I have the droid RAZR HD as well but my screen time doesn't even come close to yours! I only get about 2.5 hours of screen time with about 25-30% left. Is this normal? I turn off GPS and Bluetooth the entire day and only turn on WiFi when available. Any tips or tricks you have? Do you customize your smart action? I only text heavy, surf the web and play games here and there but can only manage about 2.5 hrs before I need to be careful of the battery.

Take a look at the following thread.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-smart-actions-developer-team/228581-favorite-smart-actions.html

I regularly get in excess of a full day on my Razr HD with normal use. I seem to use it like you do...

This past Christmas Eve and Day, I got close to 60 hours with very minimal usage. I was home and didn't need to use it, so it sat...

Jim

Cattledog1969

Reaction score
I was getting 33 hours of mixed use on RMHD but lately I find I have to charge it in the middle of the day to bump it from say 45% back up to the 90+%. The phone is 21 months old so I'm guessing the battery is just wearing out. I had to skip on the successor phone because it had no SD card slot, but hopefully the next generation of Motorola phones will have an SD card slot and a big battery.