Battery life issue after official ICS

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
ragenrebel said:
My phone also has been getting warm. Does anyone know what going on?

Prob just an app constantly running in the background. Have you downloaded any apps lately.

TvVoice

Reaction score
DevilDogMP said:
My battery life has doubled ever since I updated to ics. No problems here.

Specifically, on a full charge, how many hours did you get before ICS and how many hours do you get now?

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
TvVoice said:
Specifically, on a full charge, how many hours did you get before ICS and how many hours do you get now?

Before i got about 7. Now i get 12 to 13. I am constantly on it too

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm still playing around. With GB I could have 17 hours with power left. It seems to be less, but that's partly due to me playing with it more. JuiceDefender Ultimate stopped working and I'm going to turn off Screebl Pro. Both were holdovers from my OG Droid and may not be necessary now.

Last edited:

niteperson

Reaction score
I was going to set up something like this, but wondered if I turned my Wifi off manually, then set up this type of Smart Action, would it then turn Wifi back off when I wasn't home or would I still have to turn it off manually every time I left?

I find myself wanting to set up smart actions that have "negative" triggers, such as "NOT at home", "NOT on home network", etc. but that doesn't seem to be an option.

Either way, my battery was at 20% or so when I went to bed last night and it had been up for about 15 hours. Granted, I was home and on my Wifi all day, but I am still pleased with that kind of performance out of the stock battery. :biggrin:

Meh, you're right. It doesn't consistently shut off wifi when I'm not home. Back to the drawing board...

kjlued

Reaction score
I am also having issues.

I tried clearing cache and doing a hard reboot this morning.
We will see if it helps.

Shutting off 4g and/or buying an extended battery is not an option for me.
This is Verizons problem and not mine so they need to fix it.
I expect them to fix it without adding cost or bulk to my phone with an extended battery.
Nor will I run my phone at diminished capacity. I bought a 4g phone and I expect to have a 4g phone.
Otherwise I would have bought a 3g phone and saved myself $200.

I am patient and if it magically fixes itself after a few days or a week, I am fine.
But with my job, I can not afford to have to leave my phone in the truck charging while I am working.

BTW on a side note for those who are concerned with pulling their phone on off the charger.
It doesn't really matter with the li-ion batteries in the phones today.
Waiting for complete drain and not removing it until it is fully charged to avoid battery memory was a concern years ago with old style batteries.
Li-ion batteries don't develop a memory.

Kobe24

Reaction score
Eh, I disagree with your last statement. I let my phone battery run down, powered it off and let it charge and get a few extra hours out of it. Also, buying an extended battery shouldn't be a problem for anyone,unless you don't have a job.

kjlued

Reaction score
Eh, I disagree with your last statement. I let my phone battery run down, powered it off and let it charge and get a few extra hours out of it. Also, buying an extended battery shouldn't be a problem for anyone,unless you don't have a job.

You can disagree all you want, but it still won't make you right.

Do a little research and you will find that Li-ion batteries do not have a memory.

Your assumed extra time on the battery has nothing to do with battery memory which is what I was referring to and the reason that in the past, we did complete drains on batteries and then let them charge fully in order to extend the actual life of a battery. What you may be experiencing is that sometimes when you charge a battery close to full, it will tell you it is 100% even though it may really only be at 95%.
Remember, our batteries shows charge/discharge in increments of 10% (So, at 95% charge, it will show 100%)

As far as buying an extended battery, yes, I can afford it.
However, I should not have to buy it.
My phones battery life was fine before the download so why should I spend a dime to fix the problem that Verizon caused?
Not to mention, I do not want to have to use it even if it is given to me for free.
The phone is big enough. Also, I am an avid mountain biker and put the phone in an Otterbox Defender to protect it when on the trails.
Not to mention I have the lapdock and the car dock.

Obviously the battery drain is due to a software issue because we didn't have this issue before ics, so they need to fix it.

Hopefully what I did this morning will fix the problem making all this a moot point.
So far it has been off the charger for an hour and still shows 100% charge which is much better then yesterday where there was a noticeable drop after the first hour.
If not then yes, I expect them to come up with a fix soon without me having to add bulk or pay extra.

Last edited:

bionicDman

Reaction score
See if my suggestions below help:
bionicDman said:
I had battery issues when i jumped to 246 via HoB. Played with smart actions, found it helped a lot, but it did not get me back to where i had been with 905. SamuriHL suggested an FDR, which i really didn't want to do, but after i did it, my battery life was much, much better after a couple of cycles - back to where it had been before ICS. I installed the data switch app from google play, and got into the habit of switching on wi-fi or data only when i turned on the screen, then turning it off when i was done. Smart actions can do this too, but i didn't always need data or wi-fi when i turned on the screen, so for me doing it manually was simple and easy, and it made a huge difference on battery life - from barely making it 8 hours, to going more than 24 hours, and still having 30% left on my battery. This worked for me, but do some research on what's involved with an FDR, and see if you're up to it. By the way, if you decide to do an FDR, app saver will allow you to save all your apps to your sd card and SMS backup+ will let you backup all your text messages to your google account. After the FDR you can reinstall your apps, and reload all your texts from google. Finally, look at your battery use in settings, and see if you have a particular app that seems to be consuming a lot of battery. Screen and Android OS should be the top two, then the others should be a good bit less. SamuriHL in his HoB FAQ listed a number of apps that he froze, and i found that disabling many if those apps helped me conserve battery life as well. Good luck!

ArcherDragoon

Reaction score
Regardless of the science...I have seen a difference in battery life by letting in drain and charge (a complete cycle). Yes, I do know "that shouldn't" be the case...but it is...weird stuff but since it worked for me I will accept that it worked for me.. ;)

zxd9

Reaction score
I am on the best day of battery life so far. 18h and 50% charge left. I made the following change. I use the smart action for nighttime battery saver. 3 triggers: Timeframe (midnight to 7am), display off, not charging. 4 actions: background sync off, wi-fi off, gps off, cellular data disabled.

I also have location based smart actions to turn on wi-fi when I am at home and at the office.

Usually it would drain 20-30% overnight doing nothing.

dyno

Reaction score
kjlued said:
Remember, our batteries shows charge/discharge in increments of 10% (So, at 95% charge, it will show 100%)

Or get a battery app that shows increments of 1%.