Battery life issue after official ICS

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Or get a battery app that shows increments of 1%.

A good one, recommended by FoxKat, is GSam Battery Monitor. It gives the increments in 1%, sits on the Notification Bar and when you pull the bar down it gives a lot of information. The latest update, if you get the icon pack, will allow you to overlay the icon over the stock icon.

kjlued

Reaction score
I don't know if clearing the cache and/or doing the hard reset is what helped but at least the battery lasted until I got off work to be almost dead.
It was off the charger for 11 hours before I had to plug it in which was double yesterday.

Still not as good as before ics but with others reporting continual increase with battery life, it is livable for now.

BTW, I am not continually running on the internet with my phone or running battery draining programs while at work.
During the day, I mostly only use it for calls, e-mails and texts.
Also before ics, on a normal day I could get 24+ hours from a single charge.

cool318

Reaction score
my battery is already at 90% 20 minutes after taking it off the charger..

kjlued

Reaction score
my battery is already at 90% 20 minutes after taking it off the charger..

That is how mine acted yesterday

Try doing what I posted earlier.
Clear cache and do a hard reset.
Then charge back up and post if it helps.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
How do you clear the cache?

Clearing Cache is quite easy

1) Power down
2) Boot into Recovery by pressing Power, Vol Up & Down simultaneously
3) Vol Down for Recovery, then Vol Up
4) When the Android appears, press Vol Up & Down simultaneously
5) Vol Down to "Wipe Cache Partition"
6) Press Power
7) When cache is cleared and done, press Power to reboot

To calibrate the battery (according to FoxKat)

1) Charge to full with power off
2) Run phone to 15%
3) Recharge to full with power off

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
aaf709 said:
Clearing Cache is quite easy

1) Power down
2) Boot into Recovery by pressing Power, Vol Up & Down simultaneously
3) Vol Down for Recovery, then Vol Up
4) When the Android appears, press Vol Up & Down simultaneously
5) Vol Down to "Wipe Cache Partition"
6) Press Power
7) When cache is cleared and done, press Power to reboot

To calibrate the battery (according to FoxKat)

1) Charge to full with power off
2) Run phone to 15%
3) Recharge to full with power off

What does doing that gonna do?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
What does doing that gonna do?

Which? The first clears the cache of the phone. The second, I wrote it wrong, is supposed to calibrate the battery software in the phone so it recognizes when the battery is full or empty. The stock battery and the OEM extended seems to work better with the phone's software as some of the extended batteries last long after the phone says you're out of power.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

schleprock

Reaction score
after the update to ICS my battery performance was abysmal, we're talking draining the battery (from 100% to 0%) in a matter of 4 hours or less! on GB my phone would easily last 16 hours going from 100% to ~30%. this was fine as i charge my battery every night. but only 4 hours of battery life was insane. i performed the cache wipe and dumped a couple of applications that i thought were eating the battery but nothing helped. i finally did a factory reset and after, painfully, restoring my phone, battery life got better, not quite as good.

i noticed that the "GPS tracking" symbol was on most of the time on the phone. and i found the the weather channel application uses GPS everytime it wakes up to find it's location on ICS (didn't do this on GB). that was killing the battery, so after dumping TWC battery is better. i then noticed "media server" process taking a lot of battery, it seems that the upgrade to ICS may have also screwed up my microSD card. so after formatting that it appears that ICS is pretty much as good as GB for battery life.

hopefully this helps other people. watching the battery usage feature on ICS before the factory reset didn't seem to help. i think that completely changing the OS while keeping the old applications didn't work out. it really sucks to do the reset, but at least in my case, it helped get back battery life. after the reset, the best way to get battery life back on ICS is to use the battery usage feature on ICS and kill off those applications chowing down on the battery. hopefully TWC will fix the problem as i really liked it.

schleprock

zxd9

Reaction score
My battery life was poor too after the ICS upgrade. The 2nd day I had it I cleared the cache. Nothing. Waited a week but it got no better. Finally yesterday I did a Factory Data Reset. Last night it made it through the night without any drop in battery. Usually it was draining 20-30%. I'm at 50% right now and have 16 hrs on the battery. Much of that time was spent reloading apps and setting up accounts and passwords for everything.

galactichero

Reaction score
This needs to get fixed

Attempting my SECOND factory reset to try to get more than 90 mins out of a battery. I don't like the idea of having to cripple the phone - kill data, kill apps that need data, etc. to try to be able to make a phone call by early afternoon. Google now OWNS Motorola Mobility... how did they release a port of THEIR OS to THEIR device that just fails to work on such a basic level?

There are a number of Apps I don't want, that run anyway. What is this weather thing that has two entries and is running 3 processes? What is MOG, why do I need it, and why can't I remove it? Why can't we toggle 3g and 4g? What good are smart actions to save battery if you have to leave the gps on for them to work, and that KILLS THE BATTERY?

If anyone figures this out, please let us know what you did. I am highly skeptical of the idea of "waiting a few days" in the hopes that the alien overlords and skynet reach an accord to allow my phone to last more than 90 mins on a battery. I don't think that has any effect, other than irritating me that I'm losing more effort when I have to factory restore again.