Battery life issue after official ICS

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Attempting my SECOND factory reset to try to get more than 90 mins out of a battery. What is MOG, why do I need it, and why can't I remove it? Why can't we toggle 3g and 4g?

Have you tried clearing the cache?

MOG is a music app. You can disable several of the bloatware apps by going into Settings>Manage Apps and select Disable on whatever apps you want to. You may have to uninstall any updates first.

There are toggle widgets in the Play Store that will allow you to go between 3G & 4G, or at least get you to where you need to go to do that manually. You can also go to your phone dialer and type *#*#4636#*#* Go to Phone Information and scroll down to "Set Preferred Network Type" and select CDMA auto (PRL). There's an app called Phone Info that does the typing for you.

Last edited:

qwas789

Reaction score
How are you doing factory reset. From within settings or recovery.

Asking Galactic

Last edited:

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Attempting my SECOND factory reset to try to get more than 90 mins out of a battery. I don't like the idea of having to cripple the phone - kill data, kill apps that need data, etc. to try to be able to make a phone call by early afternoon. Google now OWNS Motorola Mobility... how did they release a port of THEIR OS to THEIR device that just fails to work on such a basic level?

There are a number of Apps I don't want, that run anyway. What is this weather thing that has two entries and is running 3 processes? What is MOG, why do I need it, and why can't I remove it? Why can't we toggle 3g and 4g? What good are smart actions to save battery if you have to leave the gps on for them to work, and that KILLS THE BATTERY?

If anyone figures this out, please let us know what you did. I am highly skeptical of the idea of "waiting a few days" in the hopes that the alien overlords and skynet reach an accord to allow my phone to last more than 90 mins on a battery. I don't think that has any effect, other than irritating me that I'm losing more effort when I have to factory restore again.

If you are seriously getting 90 minutes tops, that's not ICS and it's not going to be fixed by a FDR. You need a new battery dude. Maybe it was just a coincidence that it capped out right when ICS dropped, but stranger things have happened. I would recommend the extended battery since you are buying one anyway, I think VZW is still selling them for $25.

Kobe24

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely a bad battery...I get 11 hours with my standard battery, and 1 day with extended.

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
Kobe24 said:
Yeah, definitely a bad battery...I get 11 hours with my standard battery, and 1 day with extended.

How do you get 11?? Lol how do you use your phone?

galactichero

Reaction score

I have cleared the cache repeatedly from recovery. I have done the FDR from recovery.

I have several oem batteries and will try another. The problem with extended batteries is the case options are limited. I use a Seido and an Otterbox, as well as the lapdock and navigation dock.

I had some success killing smart action suggestion crap and mog. i know there are toggles for 3g/4g and am using the one for the thunderbolt. It's more complicated than I would prefer though. Looks now like I may get 7 or 8 hours. Still annoyed...

Anyone care to suggest a master list of suggested things to kill or settings to use or things to avoid?

Last edited:

deduct

Reaction score
DevilDogMP said:
How do you get 11?? Lol how do you use your phone?

I am calibrating my +1 year old extended battery cause its been bad lately. But when it was newer I was routinely getting 20+ hours. 4g all the time. Screen at 50% usually. Vzw extended battery is the way to go. But lately Its been getting no better than my stock battery. If calibrating it over these next few nights don't help i will be buying another.

mike02vr6

Reaction score
Geez I wish I could get hslf of your battery life, I barely get 4 hours. I had better life when I first got ics but getting worse

Sent from my DROID BIONIC Billboard using Droid Forums

bionicDman

Reaction score
galactichero said:
Anyone care to suggest a master list of suggested things to kill or settings to use or things to avoid?

SamuriHL in his HoB FAQ's talks about bloatware he disabled. As far as GPS, yes, it will drain your battery. Turn off location services, then turn on gps with the control widget or settings only if you need it for a particular app, then turn it back off when you're done. Same with data. There's an app that toggles data that I use all the time. I only use data when i don't have wi-fi. Wi-fi uses less battery than data, so try to use wi-fi whenever possible. My battery life dropped when I went to ICS, but after disabling a lot of junk, and doing anFDR, I have batterry life that is much, much better than it was with GB, and my data signal strength is much stronger than it used to be. I leave gps, data and wi-fi off when they are not being used.

hAHAha Halo

Reaction score
mike02vr6 said:
Geez I wish I could get hslf of your battery life, I barely get 4 hours. I had better life when I first got ics but getting worse

Sent from my DROID BIONIC Billboard using Droid Forums

Recalibrate the battery, it works TREMENDOUSLY. Kill your phone completely, then charge fully it in sleep mode. I went from 6 hours of battery life to 10 hours easily. Some people go the extra mile and go from 15% and fully charge it from sleep mode, then from there they run it down to 0% and recharge it in sleep mode again to full. It works very well, just trust me.

galactichero

Reaction score
SamuriHL in his HoB FAQ's talks about bloatware he disabled. As far as GPS, yes, it will drain your battery. Turn off location services, then turn on gps with the control widget or settings only if you need it for a particular app, then turn it back off when you're done. Same with data. There's an app that toggles data that I use all the time. I only use data when i don't have wi-fi. Wi-fi uses less battery than data, so try to use wi-fi whenever possible. My battery life dropped when I went to ICS, but after disabling a lot of junk, and doing anFDR, I have batterry life that is much, much better than it was with GB, and my data signal strength is much stronger than it used to be. I leave gps, data and wi-fi off when they are not being used.

I used a Droid, then a D2G, then a Droid3 - I am familiar with leaving location services off, using wifi, and using the toggle. I used to use juicedefender, but was told ICS doesn't like it much. I saw the SamuriHL post, but what junk specifically did you disable? I like having data on so I can get email etc. on my phone. A phone you have to essentially brick constantly so that you can have a few hours of battery life just isn't worth it to me.

bionicDman

Reaction score
galactichero said:
I used a Droid, then a D2G, then a Droid3 - I am familiar with leaving location services off, using wifi, and using the toggle. I used to use juicedefender, but was told ICS doesn't like it much. I saw the SamuriHL post, but what junk specifically did you disable? I like having data on so I can get email etc. on my phone. A phone you have to essentially brick constantly so that you can have a few hours of battery life just isn't worth it to me.

I get what you're saying, but leaving data on all the time is like leaving the car running all the time. Why increase battery consumption when you don't have to? There have been days when I have had data on all day, and I got about 12 - 14 hours on my battery with light use. With moderate use I have seen about 9-10 hours, and with heavy use 7-8. I'll try to post a list of everything I have disabled.

intmd8r

Reaction score
Call Verizon. I was just in this position with my battery - was getting about 4 hours, tops. They informed me that accessories are also covered under warranty, not just the phone itself, and sent me out a new battery. I got it a couple weeks before ICS, which initially dropped my battery life down, but now I'm getting 12+ hours with light use and 9+ on heavy use days.

I know lots of people complain about Verizon, but it's this kind of customer service that I've always experienced and why I've stuck with them. It can't hurt to give them a call! :biggrin:

galactichero

Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but leaving data on all the time is like leaving the car running all the time. Why increase battery consumption when you don't have to? There have been days when I have had data on all day, and I got about 12 - 14 hours on my battery with light use. With moderate use I have seen about 9-10 hours, and with heavy use 7-8. I'll try to post a list of everything I have disabled.

you don't get what I'm saying. My car doesn't drive around picking up messages for me all day. My phone kind of does. it's more like asking someone to go pick up a pizza for me, and then taking away the car keys and not giving them any money. they still might get around to it, eventually, but they don't help me right now.

shawn4057

Reaction score
I to have the same problem.before Ics I got 9 to 10 hours battery time with moderate use.
Now I get 4 to 5.I've cleared the cache did a factory reset and nothing works.
There is a problem with ics.this needs to be addressed.