Bad ESN on INC

Skyscraper38

Reaction score
I bought an Incredible a while back off craigslist for my sister for christmas and she got it today and went to activate it and they said the lady had a complaint about it and that she never returned it so it has a bad ESN! I don't have the ladies number anymore because I thought everything was good. Anyone know if there's a way I can still activate it? Maybe reset it? or will rooting work?

thanks!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think bad esn is bad esn. Don't think there's any way to resolve it.

tappin and a talkin

wolfson1

Reaction score
Only one thing I know of that works: someone's gotta pay the balance on that phone!!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I bought an Incredible a while back off craigslist for my sister for christmas and she got it today and went to activate it and they said the lady had a complaint about it and that she never returned it so it has a bad ESN! I don't have the ladies number anymore because I thought everything was good. Anyone know if there's a way I can still activate it? Maybe reset it? or will rooting work?

thanks!

You know the moment I read the title, "Craig's List" came to my mind.

There is nothing you can do. Either the phone was lost stolen, or had an unpaid bill on it. What you should do is turn it in to Verizon. It either belongs to the former owner, Verizon, or possibly the insurance company.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

OP
Skyscraper38

Skyscraper38

Reaction score
Well that's just great! I pretty much got the shaft! and I can't get ahold of the people now since it's been so long

OP
Skyscraper38

Skyscraper38

Reaction score
I'm definitely not fixing to turn it in, when I paid alot for it. I figured there had to be a way around it.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
No way around it man. Next time you might want to check the sender before buying it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
Skyscraper38

Skyscraper38

Reaction score
I really couldn't check about the seller cause it was on craigslist. Plus she had told me it had a good esn, I'm guessing she didn't know any difference.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I really couldn't check about the seller cause it was on craigslist. Plus she had told me it had a good esn, I'm guessing she didn't know any difference.

Which is exactly why you don't want to buy a phone on Craig's List.

As they say, if it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't.

I feel for you, really. So many people come to us with this and in every thread I have read it's been Craig's List. eBay seems to be a bit safer.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
My bad I meant esn. Stupid autocorrect changed it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

naman919

Reaction score

Which is exactly why you don't want to buy a phone on Craig's List.

As they say, if it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't.

I feel for you, really. So many people come to us with this and in every thread I have read it's been Craig's List. eBay seems to be a bit safer.

not to be picky but the quote ends with "it probably is." :D