Bad esn

elitecmdr666

Reaction score
ok so i was looking around and im thinking of buying another dx but i saw that some said bad esn. so if theres a bad esn can u still manage to bypass that and still use the phone? or once its has that it pretty much done for?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
anything with a bad esn cant be activated on VZW.

techguru

Reaction score
Any phone with a bad ESN was either reported stolen or reported lost to insurance, so anyone trying to sell one is either a thief or committing insurance fraud.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using DroidForums App

OP
elitecmdr666

elitecmdr666

Reaction score
ok so even though u cant use the phone in the network can u still use the phone for roms and themes u know to verify if they work and stuff

Snarkrifice

Reaction score
You can, but look at it this way...

Would you purchase a stolen car, not to drive on the main roads, but just around a racetrack in your backyard? Maybe even around a McDonald's or Starbucks' parking lot?

That's what we're talking about here. You can, honestly, purchase the phone with a bad ESN and do whatever the heck you want with it. You won't be able to activate it with Verizon because the MEID has already been reported. You can do just about anything else, yes - but you're purchasing equipment illegally. It might've just been insurance fraud or something, but even if that's the case, it belongs, then, if found, to the insurance company, so it can still be viewed as theft.

Is anyone likely to do anything about it? No. Are we going to report you? Well, I'm not. I really don't care. But is it illegal? Yep. If you can live with that, then it'd likely be an excellent unit for testing ROMs and such.

Now that you know, it's up to you. :wink:

vettesfan

Reaction score
A phone can also get a bad esn of the owner did not keep up with payments and vzw discontinued service to them.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App