Backup Assistant

rskap67

Reaction score
Has anybody tried backup assistant on this phone yet? I tried it the day I got the phone and I was told the DX is not compatable with BA. They had to transfer contacts device to device for me. Just wondering. It did not work last week.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I used it on my old flip phone. It let me export to a file, then in gmail I imported those contacts when I got my droid.

You have no need of BA because your phone can sync your contacts to the web. Add a contact on gmail, it ends up on your phone. Delete one from your phone and its gone from the web.

Warner

Reaction score
I used it and got all my contacts back from my old phone. They went through the motions of transferrring my contacts (via some cable setup they had) at Best Buy, but when I looked on the phone, nothing was there. I had used backup assistant on my old phone (Samsung Alias) a couple of weeks ago, and hadn't made any contact changes since then. The backup assistant launched from the X and synced up all of my old contacts. I have launched it since then as well, without any issue or errors. I also set up a recurring sync to run every day at midnight, but THAT does not appear to be working. Manaul syncs (by hitting the "sync now" button) work fine....I just ran one to verify, in fact.

Warner

Last edited:

Robslaw

Reaction score
Has anybody tried backup assistant on this phone yet? I tried it the day I got the phone and I was told the DX is not compatable with BA. They had to transfer contacts device to device for me. Just wondering. It did not work last week.

Made the same mistake as me, I activated it (against my better judjement) and now I can't get it to go away.

Wolfman5101

Reaction score
I have a Droid 2 with Epic 2.5. Canb i get Backup assistant back in any way cause i lost all my contacts and forgot a backup. I know i should have...:icon_evil:
Thanks in advance!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Droid 2 with Epic 2.5. Canb i get Backup assistant back in any way cause i lost all my contacts and forgot a backup. I know i should have...:icon_evil:
Thanks in advance!

This is a google phone. All your contacts are backed up automatically when you synced to Google. Back up assistant isn't really what you should use, use gmail. Try taking a look at your gmail account and see if they aren't over there. Then sync the phone to gmail and they should come right over.

Wolfman5101

Reaction score
Well I tried that. I went to settings>Accounts>and i toggled the sync on and off and nothing happened. Also, I kept 6 contacts after the rom. Is this normal?

EDIT: I realize that these Six contacts were the only 6 backed up to my google account. These were also the only new contacts I had added after using backup asistant. So google didnt back them up and now I still have only 6 contacts. I know that with backup assistant i can get my old contacts back but will this mean I have to go back to stock then restore contacts, backup to google, then re install Epic? Cause Epic Really is Epic

Edit 2? Whew. After 3 tries to get back to original i finally got it back to plain old android with the root so i can backup my contacts.I'm checking if it worked now. It didn't... What am I doing wrong? I have all my contacts back on my phone, but when I click sync and it finished syncing I still only had the same 6 contacts on my gmail account. Im checking this on my computer BTW.

Well, google never Synced with my gmail account so I ended up using m:IQ. Hopefully this sync problem will be fixed by someone or i will learn what is wrong.

Well, m:IQ didn't work so.... yeah....Still need help people...

Also, Is it possible my internet connection isnt good enough? m:IQ said the sync was successfull but nothing happened and I still had the same contacts...

THE FINAL EDIT!!!
I FINALLY got my contacts to sync. What I had to do was export my contacts to my sd card, Then import them back to my gmail account. This fixed the problem. Can't belive I didn't think of that before. Time to epic 2.5 and nexTheme again!

Last edited:

star007

Reaction score
So far every day since I rec'd this phone (a few weeks ago) it is not backing up in the 12 am-6am slot that I chose and I have to do it manually every morning. What's the point of having that option in the first place?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So far every day since I rec'd this phone (a few weeks ago) it is not backing up in the 12 am-6am slot that I chose and I have to do it manually every morning. What's the point of having that option in the first place?

You are referring to Verizon's Backup Assistant? The only thing that is good for is when you first start your phone. It allows you to easily bring your contacts over from whatever phone you were using previously. After that, IMHO it's worthless.

Your applications are backed up by Google (at least the paid ones are) your contacts are backed up by Gmail, calendar by Google. What else do you need it for?

star007

Reaction score
Ok, then I'm getting this confused with the *228 I used to use for my old phone (chocolate). I was also told that I don't have to "update" every month or so as I did on the chocolate, another newbie useless ? Thanks

Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet it's not backing up at night because your phone is in nighttime battery saver mode... which turns your data off from like 10PM to 8AM by default. So backup assistant tries to run, but can't because there's no data connection. Just change the sync settings to sometime during the day, while your data will be on. Also, backupassistant sucks, and google already backs up all your contacts to your account.

star007

Reaction score
I checked and actually have it on Maximum battery saver....thanks for all your feedback. G

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was going to wait for a more polished, non-ADB root method to come along but this horrid piece of Verizon crapware hounded me daily until I lost it today, rooted my T'Bolt, and used Absolute System Tools to debloatify.

Ahhh...it feels so good.

No more nagging every morning when I wake up to enter a PIN I cannot find.

305rev305

Reaction score
There's no app pre-installed that let's u backup contacts with Google. I did when I first got the phone but how can I sync whenever I want??