Back falls off easy...

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
today my back fell off for the first time. tight pants scenario...

oh well i'll probably need to get a case

MrHug3

Reaction score
I have heard numerous complaints about the back falling of easily, funny thing is, I CAN'T GET MINE
OFF at all. Not that I should be pulling it off all the time, just sayin.

nick190

Reaction score
Looks like I'm not the only one...here's my back cover story. Against my better judgement, I bought the case/beltclip that the droid snaps into, with the back exposed. Normally I go for one with a little more enclosure, but the cute girl at the verizon store kept pushing it...fine. Bought the phone on Friday, and by Saturday afternoon when I pulled the phone out of the case I noticed the back had fallen off already. I had spent the day so far outside at work, and finding it proved to be an impossible task. On the way home from work, I stopped by the verizon store where they said they would gladly provide a new one, although they were out of stock, and instructed me to call #611. I got home and gave them a call, only to be informed that if the store had made contact to them to confirm that there was an issue with the phone then they would gladly replace the phone, but could do nothing since the store did not call. I explained quite clearly that there was nothing wrong with the phone itself, and I did not want to go through the trouble of getting a completely new phone, as it only needed a replacement back piece. The agent said that this was not a problem, and then promptly informed me that the cost would be $4.99. After trying to no avail to explain the ridiculousness of charging any amount of money for this piece, when they would even replace the entire phone fell on deaf ears. Only requesting to speak to the supervisor did the trick, and they have agreed to mail one out which should arrive tomorrow or wednesday. Ugh! On the bright side, the battery does not just fall out without the back cover, and I've had it in my pocket since!
-Nick

gkaradimas

Reaction score
Try this....

Ok, so first night I have the thing, I go out with my friends and a few hours into the night I notice the back is missing!! Freaking out I retraced my steps...turns out it fell off before I even left the house.

Now here's where the idea came from:

So with my Chocolate 2 (I had 9 and used the same method each time) the damn thing kept squeaking because the battery never fit snugly enough into the phone, so everytime I would text, it would sound like a creaky wooden floor. This really pissed me off...SOLUTION? Sticky Tack. or Rubber Gum Art Erasers. Pinched off a few tiny pieces, strategically placed them between the battery and the phone and VOILA! Snug and no squeaks.

DROID battery cover slipping off? Not anymore! Just placed some ever-so-tiny pieces between the battery and the cover and that sombitch doesn't move.

Stuff is like 2 bux at an art store.....and im sure you can find many of other uses for it!!! I know i have!!:icon_ banana:

Reaction score
Ok, so first night I have the thing, I go out with my friends and a few hours into the night I notice the back is missing!! Freaking out I retraced my steps...turns out it fell off before I even left the house.

Now here's where the idea came from:

So with my Chocolate 2 (I had 9 and used the same method each time) the damn thing kept squeaking because the battery never fit snugly enough into the phone, so everytime I would text, it would sound like a creaky wooden floor. This really pissed me off...SOLUTION? Sticky Tack. or Rubber Gum Art Erasers. Pinched off a few tiny pieces, strategically placed them between the battery and the phone and VOILA! Snug and no squeaks.

DROID battery cover slipping off? Not anymore! Just placed some ever-so-tiny pieces between the battery and the cover and that sombitch doesn't move.

Stuff is like 2 bux at an art store.....and im sure you can find many of other uses for it!!! I know i have!!:icon_ banana:

I was wondering if something there to make it fit tighter might keep it from coming unlatched. The problem with that is.......we shouldnt have to do that :icon_evil:. This is supposed to be a high end phone, the battery cover should not fall off.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
putting random objects between the battery and battery cover reminds me of my Storm lol

I'll cram a little something in there if it means the cover won't fall off, although mine hasn't come off yet.

f00f

Reaction score
I was wondering if something there to make it fit tighter might keep it from coming unlatched. The problem with that is.......we shouldnt have to do that :icon_evil:. This is supposed to be a high end phone, the battery cover should not fall off.

Agreed but this is Motorola design. Their QA team obviously didn't run any friction tests, i.e., put on some tight pants and walk around all day w/ the Droid in their pockets. All kidding aside, functionally inferior phones have superior battery doors, with locking mechanisms and such. <sigh>

The Fun-Tak hack should do the trick though.

fun.jpg

Droidette

Reaction score
I put a Verizon hard case on mine so it would help protect it from things like batteries falling off. Mine doesn't slide off anyway, but maybe putting a case on would keep that from happening for those loose Droids.

dean.collins

Reaction score
I put a Verizon hard case on mine so it would help protect it from things like batteries falling off. Mine doesn't slide off anyway, but maybe putting a case on would keep that from happening for those loose Droids.

Yeh and maybe motorla shouldn't charge us to replace these lose covers with a cover design that you know 'actually works'.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
seriously people, motorola fails yet again, why not have a phone where you lock the back door, not one where it just F'ING slides into place, they have no sense of direction with their products, that's why they have always failed in the past. It's not like there isn't enough room to do what i'm talking about, their just lazy, and it's all about bottom line. Bottom line is they made it for cheap, ergo we pay the price for their stupidity.

jwd45244

Reaction score
If you battery cover is falling off, get it replaced. It is not normal. Mine is very hard to take off.

Droidette

Reaction score

Yeh and maybe motorla shouldn't charge us to replace these lose covers with a cover design that you know 'actually works'.

I agree and wasn't implying that buying a case to fix a Motorola problem was a solution - just that having a case if you wanted to protect the phone in the first place had the additional benefit of holding the back on...

amd2132

Reaction score
Try cutting a business card the size to fit on top of the battery, then put the door on slide it up and it will be much tighter. (BB Storm trick) Still works though, I needed something since I dont want a case and I pocket my phone... Hope this helps.

AD

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try cutting a business card the size to fit on top of the battery, then put the door on slide it up and it will be much tighter. (BB Storm trick) Still works though, I needed something since I dont want a case and I pocket my phone... Hope this helps.

AD

Do you think this could cause overheating?

amd2132

Reaction score

AD

Do you think this could cause overheating?

I got one in mine right now... haven't experienced any issues. I used to rock two cut business cards behind the batt door in the storm (to fix the click screen) but never had any heating issues. Its not permanent either so if you feel it getting hot just pop it out but I wouldn't expect it.

AD